New NFL Sack rule explained

jsharr

Just now, jsharr said:

I think the new sack rule calls for a kiss on the cheek or forehead.  

I don't see this as a concern, really.  It's doubtful any of your D lineman are going to be put in a position to determine what a sack is.  Now for the Seahags, we have to worry about how many D lineman can hit our quarterback simultaneously.

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

In addition to the playbook, defensive players now have to memorize a selection of lullabys.

Sad really, glad I only have to try to explain Gritty, not this.

The worst effect of this?  QBs are now going full Sidney Crosby with this rule.

Rothlisberger took a dive last night when a hand got close to his head.  He could have been a soccer player he dove so hard.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Rothlisberger took a dive last night when a hand got close to his head.  He could have been a soccer player he dove so hard.

Meh, that was the penalty that I had the least issue with, a hit to the top of the helmet has consistently been a penalty for years. The other roughing the QB calls were softer.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Meh, that was the penalty that I had the least issue with, a hit to the top of the helmet has consistently been a penalty for years. The other roughing the QB calls were softer.

I didn't mind the penalty for the hit to the head, it was the embarrassing dive.  I really would hate for this to get to the point where the NFL needs a  diving call.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

I didn't mind the penalty for the hit to the head, it was the embarrassing dive.  I really would hate for this to get to the point where the NFL needs a  diving call.

Glad to hear it was not just me.  I tend to look at footballing through my Cowboys colored glasses.  BTW, the Cowboys suck.  Not sure if I have mentioned that lately.

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Glad to hear it was not just me.  I tend to look at footballing through my Cowboys colored glasses.  BTW, the Cowboys suck.  Not sure if I have mentioned that lately.

I didn't watch the game last night.  I just saw the video for the first time.  A video shot from the end zone.  He did not get tapped on the head.  A 300+ DL smacked his helmet hard enough to push his head sideways.  He went right down.  He didn't stand there for a split second thinking that maybe he should flop.  His head wend down with the smack and his body followed it the the turf.  The DL hit him from the left side (non throwing) with a throw going to the right.  I'm not saying the hit was intentional but the hand swinging through the air was not going to bat the ball down.  It was going to do one of 2 things - hit air or hit the QB.  You can't hit the QB in the head (unless it's incidental now) and that was not incidental contact.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I didn't watch the game last night.  I just saw the video for the first time.  A video shot from the end zone.  He did not get tapped on the head.  A 300+ DL smacked his helmet hard enough to push his head sideways.  He went right down.  He didn't stand there for a split second thinking that maybe he should flop.  His head wend down with the smack and his body followed it the the turf.  The DL hit him from the left side (non throwing) with a throw going to the right.  I'm not saying the hit was intentional but the hand swinging through the air was not going to bat the ball down.  It was going to do one of 2 things - hit air or hit the QB.  You can't hit the QB in the head (unless it's incidental now) and that was not incidental contact.

Glad to see your Steelers colored glasses are working.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

PZ and I are the ones with the clear vision here.  Maybe you can break the replay down and explain why you think it's flopping.

He looked like a punter to me.  Just saying.  Yeah, he got hit, but curl up in a ball like a roly poly hit?  Not to sure about that.  

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/25/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-defends-soccer-flop-criticizes-roughing-the-passer-penalties/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/did-ben-roethlisberger-flop-to-get-a-roughing-the-passer-call-steelers-qb-says-it-was-legit/

15 minutes ago, 12string said:

the hit to the head was a penalty.  They don't call him "Big" Ben because a swipe in the head makes him drop like he got shot.  It's soccer players who have to stop and think first, Ben's had the benefit of watching the local hockey team.

Ben’s a douche. When he comes to Penguins games he wears a Penguins jersey, #7 with “Rothlisberger” on the back, when we have #7 Cullen in the lineup. Jersey foul 101.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

The current sack rule that prohibits a defensive player's weight landing on top of the QB is impossible for the sacker to do in some situations.  My guess is that the rule will be altered to mean that using body weight to give an added thump to the QB is what will be penalized.

15 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

When he comes to Penguins games he wears a Penguins jersey, #7 with “Rothlisberger” on the back, when we have #7 Cullen in the lineup. Jersey foul 101.

What's wrong with having your own name on the back of a hockey sweater?  You only put someone else's name on if your his girlfriend.