tornado warning at bikeman Cafe

bikeman564™

Our phones keep going off with flood alarms.  Folks who were out tonight say that many of the roads are just dangerous.  I have a major water leak where my well pipe comes into the basement but so far it's all running down to the under floor drains just like it's supposed to leaving only about a square foot of water on the floor.  It looks like we have weathered most of the storm.  It's the same stuff that passed over some of you a few hours ago.  A spootful of rain, but only about 3" perhaps.

Still, I'm glad that I know what a cubit is.

• Heart 1

It turns out that it wasn't 3" of rain, it was almost 8"  It's still raining and there is more in the forecast.  Some roads are closed as are some schools.  When youngest son left work last night there was water coming into the high school, some under doors and some actually coming up through the floor as well as the normal roof leaks.  This was not some sort of named storm, just a warm front passing through and nobody knew this was going to be this bad.  One town near by had a school bus rescue.  Yes the water was high enough to get up to the body of a school bus.

This gives us all a better appreciation of what must be happening down in the Carolina's.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It turns out that it wasn't 3" of rain, it was almost 8"  It's still raining and there is more in the forecast.  Some roads are closed as are some schools.  When youngest son left work last night there was water coming into the high school, some under doors and some actually coming up through the floor as well as the normal roof leaks.  This was not some sort of named storm, just a warm front passing through and nobody knew this was going to be this bad.  One town near by had a school bus rescue.  Yes the water was high enough to get up to the body of a school bus.

This gives us all a better appreciation of what must be happening down in the Carolina's.

That's a lot of rain. Aboot 15 years ago we had a deluge of rain for a very short time and it flooded most of the roads. An eight mile commute home took 2 hrs :blink:

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

One town near by had a school bus rescue.  Yes the water was high enough to get up to the body of a school bus.

I think that bus story was just on TV! I should have paid closer attention.

Glad your home is ok.

37 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That's a lot of rain. Aboot 15 years ago we had a deluge of rain for a very short time and it flooded most of the roads. An eight mile commute home took 2 hrs :blink:

We hardly ever consider floods as we are several hundred feet above sea level but I guess that with the ground as wet as it is from weeks of rain that the water simply doesn't have any place to go.  Any dip in the road will do.  It's just drizzling now and my leak has almost stopped.

More thunderstorms late today.  :runcirclsmiley:

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We hardly ever consider floods as we are several hundred feet above sea level but I guess that with the ground as wet as it is from weeks of rain that the water simply doesn't have any place to go.  Any dip in the road will do.  It's just drizzling now and my leak has almost stopped.

More thunderstorms late today.  :runcirclsmiley:

I'm at 600 feet, and not worried about armegeddon, but localized flooding occurs.  Some rain today, but tapering off to nothing later for the SE mitten.