Halloween Goodies at the Square Wheels Estate

jsharr

HA!

But sadly, remember when candy was a "treat" not a staple of kids' diets?

We LOVED the trip to Mapes 5&10 to pick out ONE item from the candy aisle.  Gum? Chocolate? Mike & Ikes?  Oh my!  And then the few times a year when candy easily gotten (and hoarded) - Easter and Halloween. Man, you'd get that treasure trove and then have to decide how to consume it - fast & furious or slow & steady.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

HA!

But sadly, remember when candy was a "treat" not a staple of kids' diets?

We LOVED the trip to Mapes 5&10 to pick out ONE item from the candy aisle.  Gum? Chocolate? Mike & Ikes?  Oh my!  And then the few times a year when candy easily gotten (and hoarded) - Easter and Halloween. Man, you'd get that treasure trove and then have to decide how to consume it - fast & furious or slow & steady.

Tom

Candy as well as soda was a treat and not a staple in our house.  We weren't food nazis but didn't keep a lot of crap in the house either.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Candy as well as soda was a treat and not a staple in our house.  We weren't food nazis but didn't keep a lot of crap in the house either.

Yep.  I think the turning point for soda was the intro 2 liter bottle in the early 80s (???).  Before that, it was much less common in our house - mainly in the "bar" for my parent's mixed drinks when they had dinners/parties.  I remember raiding the bar not for booze, but for soda!  And one time, us kids were befuddled by bitter lemon which, in our minds, should have been tasted like 7-up, but turned out awful.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  I think the turning point for soda was the intro 2 liter bottle in the early 80s (???).  Before that, it was much less common in our house - mainly in the "bar" for my parent's mixed drinks when they had dinners/parties.  I remember raiding the bar not for booze, but for soda!  And one time, us kids were befuddled by bitter lemon which, in our minds, should have been tasted like 7-up, but turned out awful.

Tom

Gin and bitter lemon is a wonderful thing on a hot evening.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I had a job as a stock boy in a 7-11 when the 2 liter bottles came out.  That was the late 70's.  They were initially marketed as unbreakable so me and another stock boy climbed up on some pallets of soda and dropped one.  The bottle burst and sprayed soda all over the place while it ricocheted around the room. 

The store owner heard the commotion and came in asking what happened... Uh a bottle fell and they do break!!!

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I had a job as a stock boy in a 7-11 when the 2 liter bottles came out.  That was the late 70's.  They were initially marketed as unbreakable so me and another stock boy climbed up on some pallets of soda and dropped one.  The bottle burst and sprayed soda all over the place while it ricocheted around the room. 

The store owner heard the commotion and came in asking what happened... Uh a bottle fell and they do break!!!

Seems about right.  Maybe the less liked 3 liter was early 80s?

I used to fill them with water, go to our third floor and drop them out the window onto the driveway.  They would burst and the top would shoot almost back up to the window height.

Tom