Wife comes home today

Tizeye

I used to pick up my asshole friend in CO at the airport all the time because his wife didn't want to do it, it was an hour-long drive each way.  This was after long flights back from Asia or New Zealand, I wouldn't want to take the bus back after being strung out from a trip like that either, especially after him having done it about 8 times a year for at least ten years at that point.  

I mostly didn't mind, and would pack a cooler with 4 beers for the trip back, and I let him drive home.  Get  in the car and settled, and get out the cooler and pop one each for the drive once we were off the airport grounds.   We would pop the second at the Boulder city limits, so almost home and in no way drunky or anything.  Then we would go out to eat and meet his wife, or take the dogs for a hike, it was fun.

I also did it because my asshole friend was often an asshole when he got home, he and his wife would argue as soon as he got back.  Long trip and all, and she was bitchy about this and that and he was an asshole.  If I picked him up, it was more of a smooth transition to the real world with a beer or two on ice, and I think it helped them argue less.  They still ended up getting divorced (and a really ugly one), but I tried to help in a small way.

Anway, when I lived in CO recently before I got back to NYC, I came back from my second or third flight to visit RO, and got a message that he was running way late and that I should take the bus instead of the usual ritual of getting picked up and having an icy beer.

I was kind of peeved at first, thinking "You asshole, I always pick up your dumb ass", but it turned out to actually be easy and smooth.  Plus, I decompress differently, and kind of like to be alone as I transition places often.  

Boulder had changed by this point, many more people coming to live in the area each year, so traffic to the airport has gotten much worse.   It actually is a pain in the ass to get there oftentimes now (and getting out to the mountains, too).  The bus was nice enough that I told him to take the bus the next time he went out of town.

Is taking the bus that horrible?  Or maybe it's walking 15-25 min. from bus stop to building, etc.

Awhile back one work colleague actually told me he needed to drive a car so his employer would think better of him.  Strange comment. His job didn't require use of car. 

As some of you know, in bigger cities, people wear expensive suits...and dress shoes take transit daily.  That's how I compare ie. Toronto 25years ago which was this scenario and still is vs. Calgary 25 years ago.

Many people at work think I'm a bit unusual taking the bus (half hr. ride only) to the airport in Calgary.  For Pete's sake, it's 1 block away from work building downtown and only $3.30 fare. Just ridiculous. I  have to educate people the super convenience of this. I'm willing to bet the oil and gas workers...whoever is left are still taking taxi from downtown to airport.

Then I tell people, I get off the plane, take commuter train directly from airport into downtown Vancouver.  I have to explain to people how easy it is.  On the reverse side in Vancouver, locals would tend to want LRT convenience straight from the airport wherever they fly outside of Vancouver.

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Haven't received the official word that discharged, but used the opportunity to tell her that bus 13 stops in front of the hospital and won't have to transfer busses. ?

What a great idea. We don’t have bus service but Pittsburgh does. I could have had my wife take the bus to New Castle and I could have picked her up there. I guess that wouldn’t work because she was an out patient and it would mean two trips a day to New Castle and the bus schedule doesn’t fit into her appointment time. I think public transportation only works for city people.

25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

His job didn't require use of car. 

In many places, only poor people take the bus.  People who aren't familiar with big cities pretty much all think that.

For many of those people who think that, the bus might be quite a long way from where they live.  Add to that the weather and the uncertainty of when buses may be coming or not coming, and it can be daunting.  Buses are also sometimes populated by people too crazy to do anything else, you have to admit that the odds of finding someone mentally ill on a bus or a bus station is exponentially higher than in your average location out and about.  Freezing your ass off for half an hour in the rain, and finally getting on a bus only to find an insane person there ranting about how people are coming to get him and are you one of them, well this tends to leave an impression if you aren't used to that kind of thing.

I think you really just have to educate people about cities.  Even still, some bus routes you are more likely to run into unpleasantness of one sort or another when compared to another route.  You might just have to deal with it.  

Here in Brooklyn, you take the train when you can, and the bus when you have to.  The areas not served by the subway are generally poorer and have to rely on buses.  Bus service tends to be really spotty where poor people are, as well, their voices are not heard by more powerful people who could change that, generally.  

I take the bus a lot more now because RO prefers the bus to the train.  I get it, not much to look at on the train, but you see a neighborhood laid out if you take the bus.

I don't think she gets to take the ice recirculatory home. I've got a whole menu for the week, but tonight easy (for me). Went to Ikea and got the ingredients for Swedish Meatballs. Had it at son's but never fixed it before so will be a surprise for her. Another night may take some of the meatball, stuff with mozzarella and serve in sliders with pasta Sause.  Another night will grill some Salmon. And neighbors keep wanting to "help" by bringing over dinner.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

In many places, only poor people take the bus.  People who aren't familiar with big cities pretty much all think that.

For many of those people who think that, the bus might be quite a long way from where they live.  Add to that the weather and the uncertainty of when buses may be coming or not coming, and it can be daunting.  Buses are also sometimes populated by people too crazy to do anything else, you have to admit that the odds of finding someone mentally ill on a bus or a bus station is exponentially higher than in your average location out and about.  Freezing your ass off for half an hour in the rain, and finally getting on a bus only to find an insane person there ranting about how people are coming to get him and are you one of them, well this tends to leave an impression if you aren't used to that kind of thing.

I think you really just have to educate people about cities.  Even still, some bus routes you are more likely to run into unpleasantness of one sort or another when compared to another route.  You might just have to deal with it.  

Here in Brooklyn, you take the train when you can, and the bus when you have to.  The areas not served by the subway are generally poorer and have to rely on buses.  Bus service tends to be really spotty where poor people are, as well, their voices are not heard by more powerful people who could change that, generally.  

I take the bus a lot more now because RO prefers the bus to the train.  I get it, not much to look at on the train, but you see a neighborhood laid out if you take the bus.

THIS!

$1 each way to the airport (about 15 miles) is affordable for anyone and the route is the inner partial circle road around east Orlando which attracts a "unigue" crowd, some of which are in desperate need of a shower. Now, on trips longer that 5 days, a taxi at $60 with tip each is cheaper than long term parking. Now, about the only time I take a bus to the airport is if I am renting a larger car and don't want to deal with two vehicles. Last trip, the bus driver actually kicked one passenger off. When worked downtown, look at both the bus and biking the 8 miles. The bus schedule was too tight and you run the risk of the bus being full, and biking, no shower capability as fresh wipes just don't cut it in Florida humidity. 

That said, in Switzerland, use bus and train exclusively with a app I keep on my phone to purchase tickets. It is a totally different experience. Daughter doesn't have a car (and rents out their parking slot), but occasionally will rent a car for special trips,

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Is taking the bus that horrible?  Or maybe it's walking 15-25 min. from bus stop to building, etc.

Awhile back one work colleague actually told me he needed to drive a car so his employer would think better of him.  Strange comment. His job didn't require use of car. 

As some of you know, in bigger cities, people wear expensive suits...and dress shoes take transit daily.  That's how I compare ie. Toronto 25years ago which was this scenario and still is vs. Calgary 25 years ago.

Many people at work think I'm a bit unusual taking the bus (half hr. ride only) to the airport in Calgary.  For Pete's sake, it's 1 block away from work building downtown and only $3.30 fare. Just ridiculous. I  have to educate people the super convenience of this. I'm willing to bet the oil and gas workers...whoever is left are still taking taxi from downtown to airport.

Then I tell people, I get off the plane, take commuter train directly from airport into downtown Vancouver.  I have to explain to people how easy it is.  On the reverse side in Vancouver, locals would tend to want LRT convenience straight from the airport wherever they fly outside of Vancouver.

The public transportation situation in SoCal is a mess and so to your first question, yes, here in SoCal it is that terrible.  

Most people don't take the bus as we are so spread out finding a bus route is difficult and time consuming.  The people who don't drive don't for a reason, usually not good ones, so a lot of bus riders are not people you want to sit next to for any period of time. 

Where I live, public transportation is a big mess and has a stigma as only used by less than desirable people. I know this isn't the case everywhere but it is here.  Light rail is gaining some traction but it is convenient for a really small % of commuters and they still need cars for groceries and other regular chores due to everything being spread out.

Its a car culture here in SoCal and people are judged by what they drive.  I know of several people who drove BMW's, wore nice clothes and were renting a small apt in a shitty neighborhood eating Top Ramen... My neighbor rents rooms out and one guy drives a Porsche but rents a room? 

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I know of several people who drove BMW's, wore nice clothes and were renting a small apt in a shitty neighborhood eating Top Ramen...

Top Ramen is the best ramen, you can't help but feel like royalty when you eat it.  I have been eating a lot of it the last couple of months, and a regal glow is always around me.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Top Ramen is the best ramen, you can't help but feel like royalty when you eat it.  I have been eating a lot of it the last couple of months, and a regal glow is always around me.

If it were not the best it would not be called Top Ramen.  Instead it would be called something like Bottom Ramen or Middle Ramen, but It's not.

Please stop stating the obvious and wasting our time.

#goscheduleaninterview

13 hours ago, Tizeye said:

THIS!

$1 each way to the airport (about 15 miles) is affordable for anyone and the route is the inner partial circle road around east Orlando which attracts a "unigue" crowd, some of which are in desperate need of a shower. Now, on trips longer that 5 days, a taxi at $60 with tip each is cheaper than long term parking. Now, about the only time I take a bus to the airport is if I am renting a larger car and don't want to deal with two vehicles. Last trip, the bus driver actually kicked one passenger off. When worked downtown, look at both the bus and biking the 8 miles. The bus schedule was too tight and you run the risk of the bus being full, and biking, no shower capability as fresh wipes just don't cut it in Florida humidity. 

That said, in Switzerland, use bus and train exclusively with a app I keep on my phone to purchase tickets. It is a totally different experience. Daughter doesn't have a car (and rents out their parking slot), but occasionally will rent a car for special trips,

This point, is not about airport transportation which only becomes important if one flies a lot every few wks. or works at an airport (many low paying jobs in retail..I'm not thinking about the mechanics, etc.), it to think carefully where to live in relationship to transit and other services within 15 min. walk...that's the benchmark for a liveable neighbourhood... to grow up and also age in place safely in place, but not be isolated /still mobile.

Metro Vancouver's transit buses all have bike racks.  They get used now...even in good weather. There is less shame to throw bike on bus..whereas in Calgary, cyclists seem to think it's an insult for them to use a bike rack when weather gets shitty/icy/snowy.