iPhone, sleep, computer interaction, etc.

shootingstar

Do you sleep with your iPhone?

Actually we don't.  No interest in hearing the pinging at night   https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/more-than-a-quarter-of-british-columbians-would-give-up-spouse-for-smartphone-1.4840284   I wasn't sure about the inference in title. 

He and I are on our computers during the evening.  We sit beside one another because that's how our computers are placed.  It is tighter living quarters but not a big deal to either of us.  We do work or surf for long periods of time, without interrupting each other.  Been like this ...for 2 decades.  I do tell him occasionally some of the stuff I see on the forums I participate.  Like from this Forum. After all, he's ….a cyclist too and.....he's a guy and a parent. (Useful to get dearie's perspective on certain topics since this is a male dominant forum.)  

We never take (his) iphone around  home since we don't live in multi-level home.  It's small condo. It could never get "lost"  temporarily at home or misplaced.

47 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

My phone is my alarm clock, so I do sleep with it charging on the nightstand.  I have disabled auditory notifications, though, so I don't know if people are texting me unless I am on the phone.

This.   For those with an iPhone, that little switch on the side turns off audible alerts allowing you to sleep without interruption.  The alarm volume is a separate setting on the alarm page.   You can have your cake and eat it too. 

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, I go to a lot of meetings and would love to easily silence my phone.  Such a simple feature, but I really love it.  I just wish more people would take advantage of it.

It has been a few years since I used a Samsung but was sure there was a similar feature.  In fact, I thought it was easier to use.  Can't remember though.  

I have a job that requires me to be on call 24/7 so yes it stays by my side or within earshot all the time.  Like others I turn off all of the chimes other than the phone ringer. I recently switched to an IPhone and really like the little toggle switch to silence the phone.

My kids know this too so will call me 1st, even when trying to reach my wife.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My phone is my alarm clock, so I do sleep with it charging on the nightstand.  I have disabled auditory notifications, though, so I don't know if people are texting me unless I am on the phone.

Yep. My iPhone is my morning alarm, and it charges on my  nightstand.  Likewise, it is in "night  time" mode, so no worries about getting bothered at night.  I guess some folks used to unplug their old land-line phones at night? Or take them off the hook so they didn't get disturbed?

Tom

No, it stays in my purse in the kitchen.  My work email is on the phone, and i don't want to hear the tones signalling new work emails during the night.  On the rare times, i actually want to (or need to) check work emails, I may keep it around, but then I'm usually up and checking my work emails on my computer anyway.

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

No, it stays in my purse in the kitchen.  My work email is on the phone, and i don't want to hear the tones signalling new work emails during the night.  On the rare times, i actually want to (or need to) check work emails, I may keep it around, but then I'm usually up and checking my work emails on my computer anyway.

Why do you bother having the tones turned on at all?  It is nice to be able to check & respond to e-mails using my phone, but I would go apeshit if it notified me of new messages with a sound, vibration, or even screen message.  Heck, I have probably half my text messages on "do not disturb". 

Tom

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why do you bother having the tones turned on at all?  It is nice to be able to check & respond to e-mails using my phone, but I would go apeshit if it notified me of new messages with a sound, vibration, or even screen message.  Heck, I have probably half my text messages on "do not disturb". 

Tom

Well you don't have kids either... I like to know when my kids are trying to reach me and they usually text so I keep the text chime on.