Tracking down this type of bird

shootingstar

We went hiking in the woods near Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies this weekend. A large dump of soft snow.

Looking for some bird enthusiasts to pin down the type of bird.  It definitely is not a sparrow because of its sharper beak.  After checking Cornell's scientific web site, Audobon bird site, I can't identify the bird type. He is such a cutie.  I think it's a he.

mystery bird.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

...some kind of migratory warbler, I think.  there are a lot of different warblers, and their plumage changes seasonally.

Some of them are confusing to ID for this reason.  Yours might be a Blackburnian Warbler, but I can't tell from just one photo.

You can Google for warbler images in various plumage variations.

Nice work maddmaxx!

When I was finishing my IIT grad school work in labs at the U. of Toronto, two guys who were post-docs working for the same Professor as me said they were going bird watching during lunch and asked if I wanted to join them. I assumed they meant they were going to sit outside on campus and watch the girls go by.

So when I met them for lunch, I was astonished to see binoculars in their hands and thought that was a little too creepy. Then I realized they REALLY were going bird watching! I learned a little bit about the birds of the Lake Ontario region from them, though I've forgotten most over the years.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I know little about birds.  I know a great deal about web searches.  :nodhead:

Before I opened up this thread to check everyone's answer today after my work day, I received an email from a volunteer bird watcher/hobbyist who seems to be big fish in our local birding non-profit group:  he identified as a varied thrush.  Then he also gave to me which other related birds too.

The photo is mine and not tagged with any clues. That' why I was asking!

I wish I saw the bird at eye-level, it has lovely plumage. https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/varied-thrush   Here's another reference.

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

So when I met them for lunch, I was astonished to see binoculars in their hands and thought that was a little too creepy. Then I realized they REALLY were going bird watching! I learned a little bit about the birds of the Lake Ontario region from them, though I've forgotten most over the years.

The bird I miss seeing is the red cardinal.  I saw them often when I lived in southern Ontario.  They are very rare in Alberta.

Apparently varied thrush are not frequent in Alberta.  I was lucky.