Starting to give away/offer stuff to family...

shootingstar

Those with adult children probably have tried fobbing off unwanted furniture, dishes or ..well-used car. 

I'm not quite in the same boat. But I have given away some books to family members before I relocated to another province.

Feels too early in life for me, but am sending photos of book spines to family member for them to ponder.  I know it's stuff that doesn't exist in electronic form...  will probably be disappointed if no one will take up on my offer.  

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Feels too early in life for me

The sooner the better!  You are just a bit more aware of how much of a headache it will be the longer you wait.  When my mom (in her 70s) sees any of her kids, she is always trying to pass off something from our past.  Most of the "good" stuff is distributed - art, nice furniture, photos, Christmas ornaments, etc. - but I'm now at the point where I defer taking anything to my siblings with kids.  I'm fine it skipping my generation and going to the folks who will be around long after me.

In fact, next trip up to my brother's place (he has two young boys), I plan to take as many of my childhood "boy" toys to them. I have already passed the Matchbox & Hot Wheels cars, but will passing off my working steam engine, my miniature brass cannon (that fought in many play battles), and some other things the boys might enjoy in a few years.  My brother has lots of storage space, and I like have free storage space, so I think this is a win for both of us.

This thing was a blast (similar in looks to mine):

image.thumb.png.57ea8d90f41a8d796dd10176b4c7ef67.png

Tom

• Heart 4

My mother offered gold hairpins..that were given by my great-uncle..as a wedding gift to her.  Only 1 sister of mine, took up on her offer.  So very important that older generation gradually give away their precious stuff to those who want it.  I have mother's pink Chinese long dress, which I have no clue what I will do with it....since I can't fit it.  No, she is wearing a different dress in that portrait with me.

Unfortunately in a big family with many siblings, some things disappear rapidly.  The photo albums of when we were babies and with my parents as young immigrant couple, were raided heavily ---by us individually.  It wouldn't surprise me that some sibs. have claimed my baby pics.....as them.   ? I was a heavily photographed baby because I am their lst child out of 6.  I am the owner of the original photo but made sure all sibs got a digital copy. 

Hopefully Razor, one of the boys/nephews appreciate one of those boy toys...  My books that I wish to offer….are works written by Asian-American and Asian-Canadian writers. Most published by small presses and I know some are out of print/ not digitized (that would be a violation of copyright....a mistake that Google made awhile back.)  I do have someone in mind to deal with my blog... she is half-Chinese niece and now a vocal defender of Asian identity, mixed race identity and artistic expression.  

motherjeanmandarincropped.jpg

• Heart 2

We had a lady die last week..1/2 of her bedroom was filled with totes...filled with stuff..her closet was filled with stuff...you could barely move in that apartment....they are not even having a sale...they are gathering important documents and a few historical family things....and calling a company to empty the place....In some ways it is sad to see...I have some old family pieces....on the other hand...who uses fine China now a days :dontknow:  or one of those sterling tea/coffee sets...I mean things that brought meaning into the life of folks in the 50's...just doesn't make it in our world...and even less in the generation after us.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Some stuff has to go and the memories stay. 

A suggestion I found somewhere...said to take a photo of the item before you give it away..if it is something special,,,I gave my granpa's rocker away..an old wooden base that had stuffed cushions..LOL the old cushions on it were ones my mom put together from some other old furniture...and re-covered...later..I put a new cover on it... Hey I got several pictures of grandpa sitting in that chair....Sometimes I toss in little steps...other times...just move the stuff on...

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

We had a lady die last week..1/2 of her bedroom was filled with totes...filled with stuff..her closet was filled with stuff...you could barely move in that apartment....they are not even having a sale...they are gathering important documents and a few historical family things....and calling a company to empty the place....In some ways it is sad to see...I have some old family pieces....on the other hand...who uses fine China now a days :dontknow:  or one of those sterling tea/coffee sets...I mean things that brought meaning into the life of folks in the 50's...just doesn't make it in our world...and even less in the generation after us.

Yea, those china dishes (which my parents never had. It's a Western cultural thing.  Chinese families don't eat off very expensive ceramics for big, special home festivities. Elaborate/many food dishes are the centrepiece during such occasions.) and the silver tea/coffee sets....

That's poignant about that woman and her totes. When dearie's mom died, she willingly had just a small storage locker of stuff which dearie had to empty out after she died.  She had very little with her in nursing home.  He bought her a digital photo album frame which rotated through over a hundred of significant photos for her.  It was a great touch/gift.  For me, I would want my paintings that I created and a few sculptures....  however it becomes a problem of possible ...theft.

Unfortunately for us, the next generation is smaller in number, and I doubt they can absorb all the "treasures" the older generation want to pass on.  My niece seems largely unmoved by anything sentimental, but my nephew seems to appreciate all of it.  I saw him this weekend and he was proudly using a keychain that my father used to use.   I'm not sure his girlfriend shares his appreciation for all this old family stuff, but if she does, they'll never have to buy anything for their house.  :nodhead: 

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Unfortunately for us, the next generation is smaller in number, and I doubt they can absorb all the "treasures" the older generation want to pass on.  My niece seems largely unmoved by anything sentimental, but my nephew seems to appreciate all of it.  I saw him this weekend and he was proudly using a keychain that my father used to use.   I'm not sure his girlfriend shares his appreciation for all this old family stuff, but if she does, they'll never have to buy anything for their house.  :nodhead: 

A good close friend, inherited a whole house of her dead parents' antique furniture ….all in excellent condition. Some of it came direct from Wales.  So you can imagine how incredible some of the stuff was.  I saw it everytime I visited them, some highly, gorgeous and unusual furniture pieces.  She and her only sis, could not bring themselves to sell any of the remaining pieces after they claimed whatever they wanted, at this time. So they stuffed rest somewhere in a storage locker.  Her sis has 3 daughters.....  

My friend doesn't have any children.  She actually has been living in furnished apartments 'cause of her indecision what to do about jobs, etc.... you would think she was low-income.  Nope.

I am very sentimental about stuff from my Dad's side of my family. They lived in same town as us growing up, so I'm closer to them than my mom's side. Unfortunately I don't think my grandparents or my Dad realized how much they and some of their stuff meant to me. I don't have many hand me downs from them. What I do have, I treasure. 

My younger daughter is very sentimental about family stuff too. Older daughter just likes to have a couple things, no clutter with her.

• Heart 1

my little brother offered me his AR 15 today. I kinda was shocked & teared up a little. Not a china set i grant you.*

*back story. Dad died last week (Alzheimers) He had very little in his room. I called dibs on one picture. 

Little brother has brain cancer. We went out shooting some of his guns last week. He has a metric ton of weapons. His prize gun is a .50 cal sniper rifle that we shot. I really liked the AR. He has them for sale at a gun shop. I have to run it past WoScrapr. I have been accumulating guns as my FIL died, and now my Dad. I will need a gun safe. I can put it next to WoScraprs china hutch

14 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

my little brother offered me his AR 15 today. I kinda was shocked & teared up a little. Not a china set i grant you.*

*back story. Dad died last week (Alzheimers) He had very little in his room. I called dibs on one picture. 

Little brother has brain cancer. We went out shooting some of his guns last week. He has a metric ton of weapons. His prize gun is a .50 cal sniper rifle that we shot. I really liked the AR. He has them for sale at a gun shop. I have to run it past WoScrapr. I have been accumulating guns as my FIL died, and now my Dad. I will need a gun safe. I can put it next to WoScraprs china hutch

One of the hardest things I had to do is accept my brothers fly rods when he knew his days were numbered. As it ended up the day he gave them to me was his last day of consciousness as he slipped into a coma the next day.

I cherish his rods but damn that was hard.

• Heart 2

Going back Sunday to help a friend pack up to sell her house,  Not quite a hoarder, but WAY too much stuff, everywhere.  Much as we tried convincing her to get a dumpster, she can't do it.  Gave away some furniture, that's about it.  she's got a great decorating eye, but it's covered in stuff.  Finished cleaning her bedroom, it looks fantastic - just in time to move.

Another friend who just keeps way too much stuff - you never know when you're gonna need it, he can fix that someday - now is tasked with cleaning out an infirmed elderly relative's house.  He's come to the realization that he doesn't want his kids to have to deal with it, so he's decided his house gets cleaned out next

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, 12string said:

Going back Sunday to help a friend pack up to sell her house,  Not quite a hoarder, but WAY too much stuff, everywhere.  Much as we tried convincing her to get a dumpster, she can't do it.  Gave away some furniture, that's about it.  she's got a great decorating eye, but it's covered in stuff.  Finished cleaning her bedroom, it looks fantastic - just in time to move.

Another friend who just keeps way too much stuff - you never know when you're gonna need it, he can fix that someday - now is tasked with cleaning out an infirmed elderly relative's house.  He's come to the realization that he doesn't want his kids to have to deal with it, so he's decided his house gets cleaned out next

You're a helpful friend. Kudos.

A few months back @RalphWaldoMooseworth tried to organize a book club here.  Our first book was The Long Haul.  The author, a trucker in the moving business, talked at length about 'stuff' filtering down to the last generation that wants it.  His point - everything ends up in the landfill at some point no matter how valuable someone thinks it might be.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

A few months back @RalphWaldoMooseworth tried to organize a book club here.  Our first book was The Long Haul.  The author, a trucker in the moving business, talked at length about 'stuff' filtering down to the last generation that wants it.  His point - everything ends up in the landfill at some point no matter how valuable someone thinks it might be.

I diiiid!  I DIIIID organize a book club.

It just didn't gain much traction. :D