Do locals promote your area to visit?

shootingstar

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

It is mentioned in some circles, but not sure it is really promoted.  I found out about it at a luncheon at the Yellowstone Art Museum, when the artist was talking about the group from Bozeman. Prior to that, I had no idea about the book, and I have not read the book.

I thought EVERYONE (at least over the age of 50 or so) has read the book!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

What is the connection for us slow peeps? :scratchhead:

If I understand the situation, the author and son stopped at a motorcycle, etc. shop in Miles City, and wrote about the stop and area in the book.  Hopefully, Further can correct me if I am wrong.  I know cyclists in town that I can ask, if you need more information. Damn, I wasn't quick enough.  You both might enjoy reading about Rex Mongold.

12 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Yep, by promoting things such as the Range Riders Museum, Waterworks Art Museum, Annual Bucking Horse Sale, Ram Sale, concerts, baseball tournaments, two fishing tournaments, golf tournaments, and annually sport tournaments that are held in the high school gym, along with the hunting and fishing opportunities that abound in the area. Much different in small compared to large towns. They are even talking about modifying the entrance from the interstate into town and what type of promotional things that can be done to entice folks to visit.

We had a good time fishing the Gallitan, Yellowstone & Madison up your way.  I noticed the Orvis clad guided out of towners were treated differently than the wet wading unshaven heathen with fly rods (us) out of towners.  

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We had a good time fishing the Gallitan, Yellowstone & Madison up your way.  I noticed the Orvis clad guided out of towners were treated differently than the wet wading unshaven heathen with fly rods (us) out of towners.  

You are talking about a different world than where I live on the east side.  The Big Horn river is one of the main fisheries on this side along with the Yellowstone and a few others.  By the time you get to our area the Yellowstone and Tongue rivers are warm water fisheries.

I think this area is highly promoted. Who hasn't heard of Shipshewana? Thursday we saw 5 tour buses and we only were in 2 stores on the south side of town.  Middlebury has Das Dutchman Essenhaus.  Goshen has the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds that hosts the largest county fair in the USA and many RV gatherings, Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale and other events.  The Pumpkinvine Nature Trail is a heavily used trail that draws tourists from all over the country. Nappanee has Amish Acres, The Round Barn Theatre and a very large art festival Syracuse if busy in the summer, located on the largest natural lake in Indiana it draws many tourists from Fort Wayne, South Bend, Indianapolis and Chicago. (we welcome winter when the lakers are gone)

Sometimes, well often, I wish I lived in the UP where they have ice, snow, beer and no one knows anything about their area.  (@smudge that I posted pictures of your area several weeks ago and enticed all these filthy cyclists to head up your way.)

42 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Who hasn't heard of Shipshewana? 

I hadn’t until I found that Amish boy singing and playing guitar on YouTube and shared it on Facebook. You messaged me and asked me if I knew him. You said you did. That was when you invited me up to do the Michianna ride the first time.

Well for areas that are promoting tourists.. gotta think of all the additional businesses cafes, little stores, etc.

We'll be going to another city downtown for a major new museum retrofit visit.  So I scoured on the 'net through ...over 40 restaurants to see if open for lunch on Sunday nearby.  It's just nuts...there is nothing open.  

It is also a problem...finding open cafes on Sunday evenings ...and other certain evenings in the downtown core where we live now. Wandering around when it's -30 degrees C in winter... 

Also car-dependent suburbs in our city don't offer anything except chain restaurants, on Sundays ….for tourists who are families. A few years ago, ridiculous with my sis, children and hubby, where we ended up at a chain restaurant way out in the suburbs. (We live in downtown.)  I didn't want to recommend a Chinese restaurant since they are from Toronto where the choices/quality are far better. 

It is abit better these days but our city of 1.2 million does not have 1 major retail street that is busy and open in the evening in the downtown.  It is not desired for any city of this size, in terms of economic vitality.

I was volunteer blogger for Vancouver Tourism a few years ago...my schtick for what I wrote was ways/what to see in Vancouver via alternative transportation-- transit, bike or walking..which is all doable in Vancouver to fill several days of different things to see/do.  What I did say..  I was actually still blogging on Vancouver AFTER I moved to the prairies.

A number of locals are just tired of our city just known for the annual stampede/rodeo which is largest in Canada. When I get my arse moving and see something interesting...will ramble with photos. Just sayin'.  I don't just bitch....I do try to do something...but I haven't seen enough local bloggers highlight our area.   For sure, I know certain blog posts get a bit more traffic at different times of year which may or may not be tied to some vague interest to seeing western Canada or school project. ?

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/02/warming-up-to-bison-art-and-branding/

https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/prairies-declaration-of-horse-love-in-art/    vs. this area  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/salmon-art-leaps-into-pacific-west-coast-imagination/   https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/st-george-rainway-painting-a-bygone-salmon-stream/

Our area is very dependent on the RV industry.  A large majority of the recreational vehicles are built here in Elkhart or Lagrange counties in Indiana.  We do have other industry but much of it is geared to supply the RV industry. Because of this one industry monopoly in this area we are hit very hard in any recession.  Boom times we have one of the highest incomes in the country but we can be the worst in a recession.  Any diversity is a very good thing for our local economy.  With our large Amish population who have an 8th grade education we will never attract the major technology business.   They are not stupid and do very well  in manufacturing and other businesses.  They are some of the major players in the solar energy business. They stay off grid but you should see what they do with solar and air power. If you want to have a modern off-grid cabin in the woods talk to the Amish.  They can set you up with all the comforts.  The Amish business who resided and made new doors for our barns spent the winter in Colorado building 2 large off-grid houses away from any power lines. Those houses have every comfort you can imagine. I can run everything other than the air conditioning in our camper from solar power and I got all of the supplies to do it from an Amish supplier who equips many of their new homes.  The LED lighting on most of their new buggies are powered by solar panels on the roof.

• Heart 2

23 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Agreed. They are looking at my county.  But both sides are good, and I think other factors account for the disparity. On the Canadian side their major metro area (Toronto) is about 60 miles away. On our side NYC is 400 miles away. 

All I know is that I lived in Toronto for a year, attending U of Toronto to finish my graduate research in order to graduate from Illinois Institute of Technology: my research advisor was offered chairmanship of the Chemistry Dept. at U. of Toronto and it was arranged that I'd go up on a scholarship/teaching assistantship to Toronto and finish my work there.

I was absolutely amazed at how much more snow Buffalo got than Toronto.  The south side of Lake Ontario sure gets more than its share of lake-effect snowstorms.

• Heart 1

On 10/12/2018 at 8:42 AM, BuffJim said:

That any city/region/country can be in an economic slump due to oil-gas industry is absolutely bananas. This is feast time in feast-famine cycle. 

Any response I could make to why it's happening here would get this thread sent straight to P&R, so I will refrain.

38 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

All I know is that I lived in Toronto for a year, attending U of Toronto to finish my graduate research in order to graduate from Illinois Institute of Technology: my research advisor was offered chairmanship of the Chemistry Dept. at U. of Toronto and it was arranged that I'd go up on a scholarship/teaching assistantship to Toronto and finish my work there.

I was absolutely amazed at how much more snow Buffalo got than Toronto.  The south side of Lake Ontario sure gets more than its share of lake-effect snowstorms.

True dat 

However one thing Toronto gets more than us is sheets of ice falling off skyscrapers. That can be deadly. 

Orlando, FL...Hell no, keep away! There are enough others promoting it. Worse, there is a bed tax on motels, etc, that creates a slush fund to promote it more and the Tourism counsel is loath to allow it to be used for other related purposes, like matching $$ on a new sports arena that would attract more tourist. In addition to tourist clogging up the roads, it also low paying jobs such as housekeeping which makes unemployment rate sound better than it is. The local State university even has a degree program in Hospitality Management. They advertise cruises to the Bahamas departing from Orlando, which I would love to see a cruise ship departing from Orlando. Perhaps they board around the Wet n' Wild Water Park with i's wave mchine.

Locals promote it? Hardly. The locals know to keep away from the tourist strip International Drive (I-Drive) and the outlet malls.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Digital_photog said:

With our large Amish population who have an 8th grade education we will never attract the major technology business.   They are not stupid and do very well  in manufacturing and other businesses.  They are some of the major players in the solar energy business. They stay off grid but you should see what they do with solar and air power. If you want to have a modern off-grid cabin in the woods talk to the Amish.  They can set you up with all the comforts.  The Amish business who resided and made new doors for our barns spent the winter in Colorado building 2 large off-grid houses away from any power lines. Those houses have every comfort you can imagine. I can run everything other than the air conditioning in our camper from solar power and I got all of the supplies to do it from an Amish supplier who equips many of their new homes.  The LED lighting on most of their new buggies are powered by solar panels on the roof.

Very interesting, but not surprising how they are making use of solar power...

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Very interesting, but not surprising how they are making use of solar power... 

Many think the Amish are backwards but they have the skills and will adapt to some of the modern technology that those tied to the power grid never utilize to the full potential.  When a disaster hits they are some of the best prepared to survive. 

Now to get your topic back on track.  In this area the Amish unlike in some other areas do take advantage of their heritage and to promote tourism.  Many of the popular tourist businesses here are Amish owned.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Many think the Amish are backwards but they have the skills and will adapt to some of the modern technology that those tied to the power grid never utilize to the full potential.  When a disaster hits they are some of the best prepared to survive. 

Now to get your topic back on track.  In this area the Amish unlike in some other areas do take advantage of their heritage and to promote tourism.  Many of the popular tourist businesses here are Amish owned.

Mennonite friend used to find the over-flogging of Mennoniteness to tourists just annoying.  She knew it was a matter of survival..  

Totally believe some Amish can survive better because of what can be done when a lot infrastructure fails.

In our area, we have the Hutterite colony farms here and there that do have solar panels to fuel their farms...again another rural group, that isn't written up about much. Some are pretty aggressive in selling their farm produce and get the children in hectoring passerbys.  Unlike some Mennonite and Amish, haven't seen Hutterites promoting their lifestyle, history, etc. in this region of Canada.  To  many people, they still seem a mystery.  Different from Mennonites where I came from in southern Ontario who are in greater numbers across North America.