Waiting in the doctors office

petitepedal

A biology teacher with whom I worked said she'd get so angry when she had to sit in the waiting room for over an hour past her appointment time that when the nurse remarked that her blood pressure was high, she tell her, "Wait a few minutes for it to recover from the long waiting-room wait."

I think this lady will be my new doctor....we laughed...and I gave her more or less my complete run down...I got a flu shot, and my allergy and psoriasis meds updated...and yes blood pressure meds...although how I am going to remember a daily med :dontknow:  even my vitamins suffer from weekends...

She said she would have never guessed me as 60 :cheerleader: and was pleased with everything I told her about my diet and exercise routine... I am scheduled for a physical in January and will have to do my best regarding weight between now and then...although she said she isn't concerned about that number given the fact that I have muscle and I am active.   We will monitor my BP....

Lunch was a pear & gorgonzola salad with walnuts.... and soon I am off to the next doctors appointment :wacko:

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I think this lady will be my new doctor....we laughed...and I gave her more or less my complete run down...I got a flu shot, and my allergy and psoriasis meds updated...and yes blood pressure meds...although how I am going to remember a daily med :dontknow:  even my vitamins suffer from weekends...

She said she would have never guessed me as 60 :cheerleader: and was pleased with everything I told her about my diet and exercise routine... I am scheduled for a physical in January and will have to do my best regarding weight between now and then...although she said she isn't concerned about that number given the fact that I have muscle and I am active.   We will monitor my BP....

Lunch was a pear & gorgonzola salad with walnuts.... and soon I am off to the next doctors appointment :wacko:

Oh I got the flue shot....

If and or when you have to do something about the blood pressure she sounds like someone you can talk to.  Our cycling lifestyle works with certain meds and not so well with others.  For me atenolol (or any blocker to slow heart rate to lower BP) was awful as I then couldn't get my heart rate up on the bike and I was in pain for 3 or 4 miles before I warmed up enough to clear the lactic acid from my legs.  Diuretics may not be good either as they work in opposition to your need for fluid during rides not to mention that you need to find more trees to get behind on each ride.  ACE inhibitors seem to work well for me as they relax the blood vessel walls to lower pressure.

The option was to start it or to think about it and get back to her...she suggested since I already had a couple months last year where it was high...we should try the low does of the drug..she said she was concerned about long term issues....with kidney or eyes..to say nothing of stroke...she said this could cause problems for me in 30 years...I told her I hope to be dead in 30 years...that would be 90!!

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

The option was to start it or to think about it and get back to her...she suggested since I already had a couple months last year where it was high...we should try the low does of the drug..she said she was concerned about long term issues....with kidney or eyes..to say nothing of stroke...she said this could cause problems for me in 30 years...I told her I hope to be dead in 30 years...that would be 90!!

After all that pontificating I see that Lisinaprol is an ACE inhibitor.  That' puts it into the same category as the stuff I'm taking.

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Okay..update. my overall cholesterol went down by 20 points since last year. :cheerleader:

This is good...now I just need to work on 20 pounds of fat :whistle:

An internet friend of mine fell down six concrete steps last night. No broken bones. She attributes that to her extra “padding” so there is that. Every time I go down I seem to have broken bones. She said she is sore and has a lot of bruises.

4 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

That sounds like you are privileged: I don’t get to wait in my doc’s office, I have to wait in the waiting room, and have never seen the inside of their office ?

I was already in the city for another appointment yesterday and it was still over an hour before my dermatology appointment. I went anyway because there wasn’t time to go home. At check in I told them I was an hour early. They told me to have a seat. Before I could get connected to their wi-fi they called me back into an examining room. My doctors seem to be very good at not making me wait.

• Heart 1

I was at the doc’s t’other day, no appointment so I had to be there early, to take pot luck at the drop-in, so got there and parked my bike at 8:02am in their otherwise empty car park, which has about 8 car parking places and two Sheffield stands for bicycles, again I say, all of which were untaken. At 8:35 when I was checking in with the receptionist she axed me if I’d parked my bike in their car park, to which I assented, she then informed me I can’t park there, it’s a private car park, only for staff use, and she’d put a notice on my bike to that effect. I just looked at her dumbly, so she repeated it all again. I just listened again and took a seat in the waiting room. It was good for her I was struck speechless, because if I had managed to find any it would not have been nice to hear. No tests were performed on me on this visit, so cannot say if my BP had been raised by this, but my already considerable contempt for people was.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

For me atenolol (or any blocker to slow heart rate to lower BP) was awful as I then couldn't get my heart rate up on the bike and I was in pain for 3 or 4 miles before I warmed up enough to clear the lactic acid from my legs.

Former riding buddy of mine had the same issue.  Larry was one of those killed in the Kalamazoo Chain Gang accident crash murder.  We had to pull him the first half of any ride.  He just didn't have it in him.  Once he got going he was pulling us the last half of the ride.

• Heart 1