Do you like brussels sprouts?

Square Wheels

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

There are only a few -- and I mean few -- things i do not like.  Brussell sprouts is one of them.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

is or are?  

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

'is' in this case as I was referring to a type of food. I was referring to a single item in a set of food.  But had that context not existed, indeed it would have been 'are' for the plural form.

But you used the plural form of sprout, so I feel you should use "are".  Also, to be an even more pedantic grammar WWII german soldier about this, the correct name of the vegetable is Brussels sprout, not Brussel sprouts.  

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

But you used the plural form of sprout, so I feel you should use "are".  Also, to be an even more pedantic grammar WWII german soldier about this, the correct name of the vegetable is Brussels sprout, not Brussel sprouts.  

I admit it is confusing.  It'd be a hecka lot easier if they were called Belgium Sprouts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Yes  Love them. But contrary to the current mode, I like mine boiled and slathered in butter and salt.  Roasted Brussels Sprouts are one of those foods that sounds good on paper, but always disappoints. Like Crab Cakes and Lobster Rolls.

This is how I ate them growing up and yeah man tasty!  I do like them broiled too but my go to is boiled slathered in butter.

• Heart 1

Not really.  The cafeteria had some one day that I tried and they were wonderful.  So the next time I was at the deli, I got some and hated them.  I've yet to recapture the magic of the first brussel sprout.

Yes, love them, but not yet, not till there’s been some frosts on them first. That triggers a response in the plant and sweetens the little beauties, not that they need that these days, they’ve bred the bitterness out of them anyway, which is stupid: did you know it’s the bitterness in some veggies that actually make them so good for us? But nevertheless, I stick with the food rules I was brought up with, mostly, so no sprouts before there’s frosts.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

I don't love them.  I tolerate them.

Now, broccoli, cauliflower, kale … I can eat those in large quantities.  Lettuce is really my favorite veggie.

Do you ever cook lettuce, dh? Surprisingly good. But not as surprisingly good as raw sprouts turned out to be: saw it on some cheffy thing and thought, Nah, but I gave em a go, and was wowed.

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Do you ever cook lettuce, dh? Surprisingly good. But not as surprisingly good as raw sprouts turned out to be: saw it on some cheffy thing and thought, Nah, but I gave em a go, and was wowed. 

I would never cook it.  I have cooked spinach and kale.  Lettuce seems like a crispy cold food for me and never wilted or cooked.  

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I like sprouts, I don't have them that often. My wife calls them a gassy vegetable. I never noticed things like that when I was younger. I’m particular about what I eat if I have a massage scheduled or a doctor appointment.

No matter what I eat I am a farter, so I don’t make any allowances in my food or drink consumption, regardless what I’ll be doing, I just hope I can contain them when I have to, and let them go when I can, while hoping not to go further, if you know what I mean.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

What is wrong with you people?  I was eating them for lunch and posted about them.  38 posts later...

It’s cold, dark and dreary with high winds. I worked outside for a bit and didn’t like it. I came inside but didn’t feel like working inside either. I rode the trainer for a half hour and the rest of the time been messing around here.

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

What is wrong with you people?  I was eating them for lunch and posted about them.  38 posts later...

We have no lives!  And someofus loooove Brussels spouts so we can spout off aboot them endlessly!

I agree with Buffalo Jim - the current broiled/roasted trend is insane!  The little buggers are perfection steamed with no to a lot of butter and salt.  In fact, they are so good that even frozen are acceptable.  The whole key is to make them al dente or semi-crunchy as opposed to mushy.  Oh yeah!

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We have no lives!  And someofus loooove Brussels spouts so we can spout off aboot them endlessly!

I agree with Buffalo Jim - the current broiled/roasted trend is insane!  The little buggers are perfection steamed with no to a lot of butter and salt.  In fact, they are so good that even frozen are acceptable.  The whole key is to make them al dente or semi-crunchy as opposed to mushy.  Oh yeah!

Never had them steamed, only roasted.  The wife cuts them in half, adds a little olive oil and salt, then roasts.

28 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Trying to translate that into American English...  Did I fart a lot?  Nope.  I eat primarily veggie based foods, so my intestines are used to it.

I actually never noticed a connection between sprouts and farts, I just go by what my wife tells me. I’ve been told I fart in my sleep sometimes.

33 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Trying to translate that into American English...  Did I fart a lot?  Nope.  I eat primarily veggie based foods, so my intestines are used to it.

Yes, an English euphemism for fart is trump, ironic or what? They don’t make me fart more than other veggies, really, though they can occasionally add their own special piquancy to the aroma.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah, I had a cheese sandwich the other day because I hadn't eaten all day and that's the best I could come up with in the location I was at.  My insides suffered.  I kid not.