OK, so who here is off dairy?

TrentonMakes

...besides me?  :(

The news felt like a punch in the gut.  Milk, cheese, ice cream, are all well represented in my regular diet.

Wheat may be on the chopping block too, but she's waiting for the results of some blood tests on that one.  

No wonder people don't like going to doctors.  All they do is tell you things you hoped you would never hear.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Nope - doctor's orders are to eliminate all dairy, entirely.

I've been diagnosed with an esophageal inflammation... the allergist did the "prick test" [reported] for 30-some allergens represented in my diet, and it didn't really identify a dairy sensitivity, but I'm told it's by far the most common culprit for what I have, so that's what she ordered.  At least until my next endoscopy - probably 3-6 months. 

Christmas without dairy = does not compute.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I've been off it since 2nd breakfast (~10:30am) when I had honey-butter toast. That might be it until coffee tomorrow morning.

So, I'm with you, man!

Tom

Actually, I lied. I had milk chocolate stuff around ~11:30.  So, I'm still with you, just not for as long as I initially thought.

Tom

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Nope - doctor's orders are to eliminate all dairy, entirely.

I've been diagnosed with an esophageal inflammation... the allergist did the "prick test" [reported] for 30-some allergens represented in my diet, and it didn't really identify a dairy sensitivity, but I'm told it's by far the most common culprit for what I have, so that's what she ordered.  At least until my next endoscopy - probably 3-6 months. 

Christmas without dairy = does not compute.

I've become an expert on esophageal inflammation over the past five minutes.  I would like to suggest you have been misled in your options!  Eosinophilic (ee-uh-sin-uh-fil-ik) esophagitis (EoE) seems to be the allergy related esophagitis, but I'm not convinced you have the allergy related one.  How did the doctor rule out the other types - especially the reflux (GERD) one?

Tom

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've become an expert on esophageal inflammation over the past five minutes.  I would like to suggest you have been misled in your options!  Eosinophilic (ee-uh-sin-uh-fil-ik) esophagitis (EoE) seems to be the allergy related esophagitis, but I'm not convinced you have the allergy related one.  How did the doctor rule out the other types - especially the reflux (GERD) one?

EoE is indeed what I've got, confirmed by two endoscopies.  I don't suffer from reflux symptoms/heartburn in general.  I have been taking Prilosec for three months since the first endoscopy, but the second confirms that treatment didn't do a damn thing.  I think if that treatment had been effective it would have suggested the reflux type.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

...besides me?  :(

The news felt like a punch in the gut.  Milk, cheese, ice cream, are all well represented in my regular diet.

Wheat may be on the chopping block too, but she's waiting for the results of some blood tests on that one.  

No wonder people don't like going to doctors.  All they do is tell you things you hoped you would never hear.

Are there substitutes that you are allowed to have?

I have friends who are..cashew butter might be a substitute..there is soy cheese (no comment)...I made a recipe for stuffed pasta shells once using a cashew filling that gave it a creamy texture...

I just told my new doc I am a cheeseaholic....good luck with your new challenge, mine will be taking a pill 7 days a week.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have friends who are..cashew butter might be a substitute..there is soy cheese (no comment)...I made a recipe for stuffed pasta shells once using a cashew filling that gave it a creamy texture...

I just told my new doc I am a cheeseaholic....good luck with your new challenge, mine will be taking a pill 7 days a week.

Like all the rest of us old people you get and use a daily pill reminder box.  :nodhead:  After a while it becomes habit.

• Awesome 2

I got some suggestions, something called "Ripple" milk made from peas, soy yogurt, almond cheese ("you can't even tell, if you melt it on a sandwich").

When our daughter was an infant she had a dairy sensitivity, so my wife had to cut out dairy.  We've done it before, and we actually still have a few leftovers from that time (like the "Earth Balance" vegan butter substitute - we've kept some of that around ever since).  Lots of cooking with olive oil, and pancakes just made with water instead of milk.

So I suppose it will be socially acceptable for me to say something like "yeah, gonna stop and pick up a couple gallons of Ripple tonight." :D

• Heart 1

We should ALL be off dairy, and meat, too, don’t you even pay attention to the news? We have 12 years to save the planet, turn around climate change and global warming. ‘Tis only a pity everyone isn’t given a health warning to do the right thing, or suffer the consequences, since no one takes the issue seriously without a personal incentive.

• Haha 1

Just now, pedalphile said:

We should ALL be off dairy, and meat, too, don’t you even pay attention to the news? 

It's likely I will end up increasing my meat consumption to make up for the lost protein.  I already eat plenty of beans and nuts.

Kind of weird that a doctor is telling me I can't have any more 1% milk but a burger is OK.

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

It's likely I will end up increasing my meat consumption to make up for the lost protein.  I already eat plenty of beans and nuts.

Kind of weird that a doctor is telling me I can't have any more 1% milk but a burger is OK.

You and your doc are not penetrating the outer teachings, friend. ?

• Haha 1

My daughter has so many food allergies I can't remember them all. She has EE, has had several biopsies too.  You can get a biopsy to confirm.

Getting off of dairy is pretty easy these days.  There are so many substitutes that taste good.  The hard part is there is milk in many things.

I imagine being vegan 20 years ago was a challenge, it's not so much these days.

I drink approx. 1 small cup of skim milk per day...it's not consistent and some it is in my tea or in my cornflakes. Sometimes have a cup of warm milk before I go to bed.  It's to help me sleep abit easier at times.  My body does want plain lowfat yogurt ..approx. 3-5 large tablespoons.  My gut likes fermentation and fresh fruit for processing. :) 

For myself personally, it's probably beneficial  to have some low fat dairy. Of course, I do munch on a small slice of cheese several times / wk..  As said before I don't buy butter for home except for the cake we just baked or dearie wants to make crepes.  

My dairy intake has fluctuated in life after I moved away from home.  There was a time I was lactose intolerant..but eased myself back into skim milk in small amounts.

• 5 years later...

Not me!  But, like before, haven't had it in a little while. Not in my coffee, and not in my dinner last night.  Can't remember when I made my hot chocolate last - maybe Monday? But I guess I did have some milk chocolate yesterday in the M&Ms in my trail mix.

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Who the hell would advise a fool thing like giving up dairy?  Hippie doctors are still hippies, I hope you have reseen the light and are having regular pizza these days.

I don't know - I think I would back SW in a bike or foot race with you these days. :dontknow:  Vegan smackdown of an omnivore!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't know - I think I would back SW in a bike or foot race with you these days. :dontknow:  Vegan smackdown of an omnivore!

Vegans are weak, like little girls, and brittle, like old ladies.  You look at them hard and their pelvises break.

Still, I was referring more to Trenton.   

5 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Without question, the single thing I miss the most.  

well, that and not having to interrogate the server about the menu.

Ok, but why?  Has giving up dairy done anything beneficial?

I ask because it was all the rage a dozen or more years ago to claim that "dairy is bad", yet there was never any proof or even a whiff of proof.  I am not claiming it is 'good', but I notice no difference in anything when I have dairy or don't have dairy.

I sure hope to hell you got a second opinion.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

He would crush me in any kind of race these days, he is far fitter than my baseline sloth.

Have you thought about mixing up your diet a bit?  Dropping stuff like meat, dairy, gluten, and salt will likely solve most of your problems.