Change - sometimes good, usually bad - what say you?

Ralphie

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Shirley Kirby will support moi!

I have a sign at work that says "Change is Bad" - and at work that is usually true.  Personally, most of the changes I've made have been for the better,  but even when change is ultimately good, it's usually hard.

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

This is a quandary!  Take cars for instance.  Most change is actually good - better technology, better gas mileage, but also cheaper, thinner, less durable.

But most older cars were cooler even if they didn't work as well.

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Another )(*(*&o optimist!  :D

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Change is change.. How you deal with it is what makes it good or bad.

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes, but change can provide opportunities that were not available to you before, but then you must act on the opportunities.

Under this logic, it would seem to be that you can either be an optimist or an opportunist.  The choice is yours.

Most of the changes are good, like being able to play internet chess against people from other countries.  Finding information from cooking recipes to free e-books and sheet music to sports information to YouTube demonstrations on bicycle repair and maintenance , smartphone video quality, etc. is fantastic.  Automobiles are made much better with 100,000 mile motors. Even glass is less likely to break when you drop it.

But I am ashamed of the social changes that have made the USA a much-less free country than most advanced countries in terms of freedom to be in public. When I was 6 years-old, my mother didn't have to worry anything would happen to me if I played in the yard, the park, the local woods, etc. We seldom locked the doors to our home. Now parents even have to worry about teenagers and a lot of elderly are afraid to unlock and open their doors at night.

In 8th Grade, when I was 13 years-old in 1963-64 and attending a Catholic school, the nuns would give a boy named Charles and me extra lunch-recess time on Fridays and send us on a half-mile walk to the local bank to deposit $300-$600 ($2500-$5000 in today's dollars) in a clearly marked white bank bag.  We walked through the lower middle-class and lower-class neighborhoods of South Baltimore's Brooklyn area, sometimes taking shortcuts through alleys. It never entered anyone's mind that we would be in danger and we never were. Anyone sending two 13-year olds on such a mission today would be rightly prosecuted for negligence.