Saturday morning

pedalphile

I am carrying the load on the Cafe so far this day, and I have also prepped and set off the slowcooker for a 12 hour shift with tomorrow’s dinner inside, I have some friends coming to share it with, and I shall also do a pud, a rarity for me, but one I am good at, a Tart Tatine, with the last of my apples from another friend’s trees, but that won’t be till tomorrow, so we have it hot from t’oven.

when you arise, what will be afoot?

• Awesome 1

We were planning on taking the grandkids and their mom and dad to the corn maze today. It’s only forty degrees with rain predicted. Not sure it’s a good investment to pay for ten admissions on such a yucky  day. It’s hard to find a good time to go with them mostly open on weekends and work schedules for my son and my wife not the same. They usually close for the season October 31st.

We haven’t actually ventured into the maze much in all the years we have gone. We do the hay ride, the pumpkin patch, the cow train, the hay maze, the giant slide and the food area. With little kids there is not a lot of interest in getting lost in a maze. This maze has been voted best corn maze in the USA several years in a row.

Good Morning!  I did the few dishes left from yesterday and made a pot of tea...This one is "Candy Apple White".....a very light "green" tea...with a hint of apple to it...quite pleasant this morning.  I took my first dose of lisinopril...and I messaged my doctor regarding the two other prescriptions I need (for psoriasis and allergies)...and told her what I found out about the Shingles shot from my insurance...It is time now for me to get the shot since I have been hounding everyone else. 

In an hour, my neighbor and I will head out into the SUNSHINE :cheerleader::loveshower:  (the sun came out yesterday afternoon...the first real blue sky in like 9 days)  Down the Mississippi we go..fall colors, apples, pumpkins...and if we are lucky a sweet treat at the Smiling Pelican Bakery, in Maiden Rock, WI :loveshower:   I have not been there at all this year...

• Heart 1

36 here...but warming up today!!  Next weekend is MEA (I don't think that is it's official name anymore..) It is an Education event for teachers giving students Thursday and Friday off...lots of folks will be out and about...and according to the weatherheads...next weekend will be "above" average....and maybe even dry too....

2 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We are no longer enjoying the tropical temperatures we saw mid week. More seasonal today

That weather change report could be my own one for here, however the olde currant bun gave a surprise appearance while I was out on my shopping trip, and I ended up in only a short sleeve jersey, very nice. When I got back I had some of last Saturday’s kimchi that I made, a fiery little number it be.

Had dinner with the family last night and since it was a nice evening sat outside. Near the end of dinner we saw lightning and then boom was pouring down rain!?!?!?  It rained pretty much all night. As such my wife closed all the windows and sliders making the room stuffy so I couldn't sleep...  

Was up most the night watching Backdraft and cooking shows.  Now I'm freaking tired...

• Sad 1

I'm still eating too much prepared or semi-prepared food.  The more prepared it is, the faster it tends to be handled by the intestines and the faster sugars go into your blood. Not good for us diabetics.  So I try to add more fiber (salsa, green veggies, etc.) to my diet to slow it down and that's been working so far.

• Heart 1

We have the grand baby so busy with her. I moved this years wood into the woodshed this morning. Now we are cooking Hubbard and butternut squash to freeze.

Just now, pedalphile said:

Hubbard?

As summer squash butternut isn’t really meant for long term storage, however I have found them to usually last 6 months or even more if carefully stored and monitored regularly. Have you grown these yourself? If so, great; squash were my favourite crop, after onions, when I was serious with my gardening for food.

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

. I moved this years wood into the woodshed this morning. Now we are cooking Hubbard and butternut squas

What did you use to move it? How big is the shed? I can’t even move one roll off load into the shed in one day.

51 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

As summer squash butternut isn’t really meant for long term storage, however I have found them to usually last 6 months or even more if carefully stored and monitored regularly. Have you grown these yourself? If so, great; squash were my favourite crop, after onions, when I was serious with my gardening for food.

I still have a butternut squash downstairs that I grew last year. It still looks perfectly fine. I didn’t plant any this year, my wife doesn’t help me eat them and last year I left a ton of the go to waste out in the garden.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What did you use to move it? How big is the shed? I can’t even move one roll off load into the shed in one day.

I still have a butternut squash downstairs that I grew last year. It still looks perfectly fine. I didn’t plant any this year, my wife doesn’t help me eat them and last year I left a ton of the go to waste out in the garden.

Both good and bad in that post, John.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Is that not a common baby name on your side of the ocean? Very trendy here. 

Not at all, you never hear it hardly neither fore nor aft. I can only think of Olde Mother Hubbard, nursery rhyme or some such. I want to try these best ever squash, though, I do so love the blues and the greens, btw, know you the Turk’s Head variety? They not only look great and last long, they eat very well indeed.

• Heart 1

What did you use to move it? How big is the shed? I can’t even move one roll off loadinto the shed in one day.

I only had a couple cords more to put in. Moved it with the tractor and trailer. Now I need to finish cutting next years woid and get it out of the woods.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

What did you use to move it? How big is the shed? I can’t even move one roll off loadinto the shed in one day.

I only had a couple cords more to put in. Moved it with the tractor and trailer. Now I need to finish cutting next years woid and get it out of the woods.

The last time I cut wood out in the woods I parked my car out by the road and walked in carrying my stuff. I cut all week and had a bunch of wood ready to haul out. I was going to use my wife's AWD vehicle to haul it out with my trailer. She worked late, then it rained, then it rained some more, then it snowed. I never did get that wood out and then my neighbor/friend sold the woods. I wonder if anyone ever hauled it out?

I'm watching my friend Amy on athlete tracker for Ironman, she is over halfway through her run. I downloaded the Ironman tracker app and it sucks. I think I'll see if I can find a better tracker. I don't see her name on the leader board. I hope I'm just not looking in the right place.