Do you have something that makes you unnecessarily angry?

Forum Administrator

I do.  Here it is....

The city put up a new stop light in my neighborhood. It's at the intersection of a pretty major road and a small street that comes out of a subdivision. This light is completely unnecessary. It backs up the traffic on the main road while one or two cars pull out of the subdivision. This morning, I had to sit through two cycles of lights so that a total four cars could pull out. The other night, I had to sit at a red light while there were zero cars pulling out of the subdivision. 

I'm a pretty even keeled person, but this sets me into uncontrollable bouts of rage. 

I'm going to start cutting through this neighborhood while ignoring their "Speed Limit 7 1/2" signs because 25 is the true speed limit. 

2 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I do.  Here it is....

The city put up a new stop light in my neighborhood. It's at the intersection of a pretty major road and a small street that comes out of a subdivision. This light is completely unnecessary. It backs up the traffic on the main road while one or two cars pull out of the subdivision. This morning, I had to sit through two cycles of lights so that a total four cars could pull out. The other night, I had to sit at a red light while there were zero cars pulling out of the subdivision. 

I'm a pretty even keeled person, but this sets me into uncontrollable bouts of rage. 

I'm going to start cutting through this neighborhood while ignoring their "Speed Limit 7 1/2" signs because 25 is the true speed limit. 

I'll bet you'd be angry if you lived in the neighborhood and had to sit there forever for a gap in traffic so you could get out.

• Haha 1

What's interesting is how difficult it is to get a light, crosswalk, or even stop sign approved in my neck of the woods.  Surely bureaucracy plays a part in it, as does cost, but we'd love a illuminated and flashing crosswalk to be added where I live, and there is about a 0% chance of that getting approved.

Likewise, we have had the expansion of the Metro farther out into the burbs, but as usual, road improvements significantly lag behind need.  A Metro stop pulls more traffic into its area, so logic states roads should be widened/improved, traffic patterns studied & tweaked, and a lot of associated stuff should be looked at over time to see how things are evolving.  I can't count how many times, on my commute home, I have passed stopped cars waiting to turn left but unable to proceed because the crosswalk that runs parallel is filled with pedestrians who use up the full cycle.  Basically four cars may get through a 25 second light.  I breeze past to the bike trail laughing at their idiocy.

Tom

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

I do.  Here it is....

Does the mayor or some city councilmen live in that subdivision? It happened in my city, but only with a stop sign.

I have a light at a similar neighborhood on my normal route. My wrinkle is there there is an elementary school there and in the mornings, there seems to be an issue with snowflakes riding the bus so there's a lot of soccer-mom vehicles turning left and then backing up traffic trying to get out.

The city does have a plan, they are going to put in a two-lane roundabout. This should be muy interesante. In the diagram below, I travel right to left in the AM

image.png.059e16e21631edcb5023fea08c3f22e9.png

• Heart 1

Traffic lights, crosswalks, what are these things you speak off?

what I hate is when farmer Johns cows won’t get out of the road?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 2Far said:

The city does have a plan, they are going to put in a two-lane roundabout. This should be muy interesante. In the diagram below, I travel right to left in the AM

My suggestion to you is to stay in the left lane. If people are unfamiliar with these types of round-abouts, they assume that the person in the right lane must exit. We've had the round-abouts for about 10 years and people still make this mistake. 

12 minutes ago, No One said:

Or did you mean "something unnecessary that makes you angry" ?:huh:  In that case, carbon fiber plastic bikes and twist off beer caps.

Nope - that falls clearly under "something that makes you unnecessarily angry".  You should know 1) plastic bikes are better, and 2) twist off beer caps can be opened with a twist or the traditional way.

Tom

• Sad 1

We have a four lane major road that leads directly into the city via one of two tunnels/bridges from the south. There is intermittent street parking along the road. During morning rush hour, there is no parking on the Northbound side, and after 4 pm, no parking on the Southbound side. Yet somehow people fail to make these accommodations in their parking habits, causing significant traffics delays as two lanes suddenly compact into one for one illegally parked car.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You should know 1) plastic bikes are better, and 2) twist off beer caps can be opened with a twist or the traditional way.

Tom

...I am also surprised a the degree of self loathing possessed by someone who prefers to ride upon a plastic bike, 

The problem with the twist off beer caps is that all the openers that once were ubiquitous have all but disappeared, like pay phones.

• Heart 1

No, being British I allus keep calm and carry on, try to only get angry necessarily, and even then, calmly: you should see their faces, when I do that, a real picture, either winds them up all the more to greater dignity and face loss, or quakes them in their boots, thinking, He is mad, He will kill me if I open my stupid moth once more - priceless. In short, stay cool, at all times?

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What's interesting is how difficult it is to get a light

Tom

That’s just bad planning and a schoolboy smoker’s error, Thom: as well as my trusty olde Zippo I allus carry a box of waterproof matches in my jersey pockets, for just such eventualities.

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I noticed that every time the granddaughters are over they put the toilet paper on with it coming over the top so when I know they are coming I always put it the other way. I must be "that guy". They haven't said anything about it yet.

But that’s the right way for toilet paper to go, over the top. They’re trying to save you!

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, No One said:

...I am also surprised a the degree of self loathing possessed by someone who prefers to ride upon a plastic bike, 

The problem with the twist off beer caps is that all the openers that once were ubiquitous have all but disappeared, like pay phones.

Wise words indeed. I like the cut of yer jib, my hearty.

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I noticed that every time the granddaughters are over they put the toilet paper on with it coming over the top so when I know they are coming I always put it the other way. I must be "that guy". They haven't said anything about it yet.

John, a lifetime or two ago as it seems, I was once that guy, too, me and the missus had a major fall out over the direction of travel on the TP. ?

• Heart 1

When you get right down to it, isn't the problem of the OP that the gov't hasn't spent enough money for the project? What you need is road sensors to trigger the light in the case where cross traffic needs to merge or cross. An example of a knee jerk response to a complaint, I imagine.

• Heart 1