So, Besides China and South Korea...

Razors Edge

...what other countries still eat dogs regularly?

Five puppies that were among 200 rescued from a meat farm in South Korea are looking for new homes in Virginia.

The Daily Progress reports the pups arrived in Charlottesville on Monday. They have been quarantined since at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA, receiving medical treatment and being spayed and neutered.

The Humane Society International rescued the dogs from a meat farm in Namyangju, South Korea, and then distributed them to various affiliated organizations.

The shelter says the five dogs are available for adoption. They are mixed breeds resembling native Korean Jindos.

Angie Gunter, the local group’s director, says they had had been living in horrendous conditions but “you wouldn’t know that now.”

She says they’re extremely playful and happy.

Tom

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Well, surely it tastes a lot like chicken??? Honestly, if you live in one of the nasty 43, you might want to wonder WTF you are paying your legislators to do each year. 

United States

Reports of families eating dog meat out of choice, rather than necessity, were rare and newsworthy. Stories of families in Ohio and Newark, New Jersey who did so made it into editions of The New York Timesin 1876 and 1885.[29][30]

In the early 20th century, dog meat was consumed during times of meat shortage.[31]

As of 2018, it is legal to eat dog meat in 43 states. The only states outlawing its consumption are California, Georgia, Hawaii, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Virginia. It is, however, illegal in all states for slaughterhouses to handle dogs, and for stores to sell the meat.[32]

Tom

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

So, the most relevant part - to answer the question - is Nigeria and Vietnam.  I would assume North Korea as well, but they may have finished their dog population off in the 20th century?

In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in some regions in China,[3] South Korea,[4] Vietnam,[5] and Nigeria

Tom

I'm guessing Venezuela, but probably more of a necessity than a cultural thing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5449023/Venezuelans-eat-rats-dogs-economy-nosedives.html

It is not just animal in zoos that are suffering. Large numbers of people are abandoning their pet dogs in cities of the country because they are unable to feed and vaccinate them, newspaper reports say. 

Most of the dogs are starving and taking over garbage-lined street corners, blocking Venezuelans who scavenge for their own food there, El Nacional (in Spanish) reported. 

Stray dogs are not a new a problem in major cities of the country, with reports from two years ago suggesting that the nation's poorest have always hunted and eaten them.

When I was in China in 2001, I learned that most of the Chinese are horrified that anyone would eat a dog.

The practice there, I was told, is confined to a small province in Central China and only one kind of dog is eaten: Chou and preferably pot-sized Chou pups.

The meat is a delicacy and costs 10x the best cuts of beef.  Consequently, you don't have to worry about being served dog as a substitute for other meats.

Of course, if people were starving, I guess they'd turn to dogs like the 1800's Donner Party ate their dead human members when stuck in snow trying to cross the Sierra Nevadas into California.  But malnutrition is very rare in China today.