Whelp, here's another reason not to eat squirrel brains

2Far

35 minutes ago, Further said:

I've killed and eaten a lot of animals, including squirrels, I've never even considered eating the brains.

In the wild the brains are often the main target of predators, be they animal or human, eg bears in a feeding frenzy on a salmon run, it is a highly nutritious organ. Pre BSE the same disease wa only known in Arabs with a penchant for the brains of sheeps. I will have unwittingly eaten brains of various species in products such as haggis and faggots; you may have enjoyed them vicariously yourselves. ?

Odd, I do not believe vCJD has been reported in squirrels before, nor as prevalent in this country.  Also, from my ancient memory, I recall it can take decades for the victim to manifest symptoms.  This is a real / theoretical risk in blood donation.  People who have spent a modest amount of time in particular regions of Europe are indefinitely deferred from donating blood in the US.  If a donor later informs us of this information, the FDA has recommended we do not notify the recipients of those blood products for several reasons.  vCJD is very rare, while it can be transmitted through blood transfusion, that too is exceedingly rare, it can takes decades to develop symptoms, you will die a horrible death from it, there is no cure.