Do you like to offer unsolicited advice?

Square Wheels

Yes - if I know the topic and it's not about religion, relationships, politics, etc.

Maybe it's my training as a scientist, but I, like Socrates in Plato's The Apology, sometimes think I'm the only man in the world who realizes how little I know.

Back in the '90's when gasoline for pleasure boats along the Chesapeake Bay was around $1/gallon, my brother-in-law and I bought at 21' motorboat to go fishing. We kept it in a marina just off the bay.  It had a 201 HP V6 Inboard-Outdrive motor and we could go 50 mph on the water in April.

But, by June, we were lucky if it would go 20 mph.  When we'd take people fishing, it seemed EVERYONE was a passionate expert: it's the motor, it's the outdrive gearing, it's the propeller, you've got the rear stabilizing planes set wrong, etc. etc.

Finally, on the 4th of July we pulled up on the water near a wealthy family's beachfront house where a friend of my brother was playing in a band and a party was going on.

A bunch of boats were alongside each other, listening to the music and partying.  The boat of another friend of my brother pulled alongside and he said to me, "I bet you're not making 20 mph with your boat!"

I replied that was true and asked how he knew. "Barnacles."

I learned we were supposed to have painted the hull with anti-fouling paint (which they make with environmentally-friendly ingredients).

A teacher off for the summer, we had the boat hauled out of the water and I spent the next week very carefully sanding the barnacles off without sanding off the hull and then applying the paint.  After that, we kept the "Reel Busy" in a boatel where it was only put in the water when we wanted to use it.  When gasoline prices jumped like crazy around 2008, we decided it had become a money pit and sold it since we often burned 50-60 gallons of gasoline each day we fished.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Yes - if I know the topic and it's not about religion, relationships, politics, etc.

Maybe it's my training as a scientist, but I, like Socrates in Plato's The Apology, sometimes think I'm the only man in the world who realizes how little I know.

Back in the '90's when gasoline for pleasure boats along the Chesapeake Bay was around $1/gallon, my brother-in-law and I bought at 21' motorboat to go fishing. We kept it in a marina just off the bay.  It had a 201 HP V6 Inboard-Outdrive motor and we could go 50 mph on the water in April.

But, by June, we were lucky if it would go 20 mph.  When we'd take people fishing, it seemed EVERYONE was a passionate expert: it's the motor, it's the outdrive gearing, it's the propeller, you've got the rear stabilizing planes set wrong, etc. etc.

Finally, on the 4th of July we pulled up on the water near a wealthy family's beachfront house where a friend of my brother was playing in a band and a party was going on.

A bunch of boats were alongside each other, listening to the music and partying.  The boat of another friend of my brother pulled alongside and he said to me, "I bet you're not making 20 mph with your boat!"

I replied that was true and asked how he knew. "Barnacles."

I learned we were supposed to have painted the hull with anti-fouling paint (which they make with environmentally-friendly ingredients).

A teacher off for the summer, we had the boat hauled out of the water and I spent the next week very carefully sanding the barnacles off without sanding off the hull and then applying the paint.  After that, we kept the "Reel Busy" in a boatel where it was only put in the water when we wanted to use it.  When gasoline prices jumped like crazy around 2008, we decided it had become a money pit and sold it since we often burned 50-60 gallons of gasoline each day we fished.

This is the thing with democracy, every dumb ass has his say, or hers, no matter how stupid they are or ill informed, they are not interested in facts, or science, or advice, they are out of love and had enough, thank you, with experts, hence Brexit, hence President Trump, so my unsolicited advice to you would be, take it fwiw, is keep your trap shut, save your breath, don’t annoy t’pig or frustrate yersen.