New (to me) bike!

Square Wheels

18 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Excellent blue!

I was at a training class a couple of years ago at the shop, she wasn't with me.  I saw this bike and fell in love with it.  She came to the shop with me for something, maybe she was in the training class too, I can't remember.  I showed her, and she fell in love too.  I said the thing that would make it perfect was if it had the Di2 that the one next to it had.  The shop offered to swap it over labor free.  She bought the bike.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

19 hours ago, dennis said:

Looks like a really nice ride. What did they do to change the fit for you?

Is it a Domane? Can you feel it move or does it just smooth out the ride? 

2016 Domane.  New bars, new 0 setback seatpost, new saddle, put the original shorter stem, plus I got a shim in my right cleat.

I've only been out on it once.  I have a Specialized Roubaix which rides pretty harsh.  This felt smoother, but more testing is needed.  I am almost never home during the daylight anymore.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I thought you were going to get a new superbike to compensate you for the extreme hours you are putting in at work, what gives?

I was, but decided to hold off.  

22 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

2016 Domane.  New bars, new 0 setback seatpost, new saddle, put the original shorter stem, plus I got a shim in my right cleat.

I've only been out on it once.  I have a Specialized Roubaix which rides pretty harsh.  This felt smoother, but more testing is needed.  I am almost never home during the daylight anymore.

Buy a light

https://crankjoy.com/mountain-bike-light-shootout-2018/

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I was fine with your rationalization at the time for getting it.  "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or my chronic PRI could choke off my genitals and make it uncomfortable to ride in the future, I should get the bike now" or something like that.  You deserve a superbike if anyone does, don't you?

You have a hard life, you can afford it, and you would love the bike like a teenage boy loves boobs.  Plus, you would have the latest and greatest and coolest, plus an extra bike for me to ride if I ever come and visit (if I ever ride a bike again).  I say do it, and scorch up Mt. Washintgon in style.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I hope it kicks ass for you.

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I was fine with your rationalization at the time for getting it.  "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, or my chronic PRI could choke off my genitals and make it uncomfortable to ride in the future, I should get the bike now" or something like that.  You deserve a superbike if anyone does, don't you?

You have a hard life, you can afford it, and you would love the bike like a teenage boy loves boobs.  Plus, you would have the latest and greatest and coolest, plus an extra bike for me to ride if I ever come and visit (if I ever ride a bike again).  I say do it, and scorch up Mt. Washintgon in style.

...everyone who gives in to the urge to buy his dream bicycle always lives long enough to regret it two years later when the bicycle-industrial complex comes out with a new "miracle."

I predict that the next great marketing leap in bicycle advertising will be "integrated saddle-less seat posts, where you get one permanently inserted in your rectum for a "better bike fit".  "Do you experience saddle pain and saddle sores from your long training rides ? We have the answer here at Specialized. With our new Pooper Post Technology ™, say goodbye to butt pain and embrace the future of cycling. "

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a Specialized Roubaix which rides pretty harsh.

You probably have a later model Roubaix than mine.  I lucked out and got what is the apex of the Roubaix bikes - a 2007 S-works Roubaix SL.  After the SL, guys like Boonen started riding it in Paris-Roubaix, and they started to move towards stiffer and racier (while maintaining a "plush" marketing angle). A shame for sure, because now they have moved away from a wispy seatstay set-up and pushed the seatpost and stem suspension route instead.

I'll take the Roubaix out occasionally and it is like butter. Quiet. Nimble. Fast. Comfortable. Basically all the concepts that first defined the "plush" market.  What does become apparent when I ride the Roubaix after the Tarmac is that the Tarmac has a natural and low effort climbing position while the Roubaix is less so with its longer wheelbase. Still, it is an insanely comfortable & sporty bike.

Tom

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You probably have a later model Roubaix than mine.  I lucked out and got what is the apex of the Roubaix bikes - a 2007 S-works Roubaix SL.  After the SL, guys like Boonen started riding it in Paris-Roubaix, and they started to move towards stiffer and racier (while maintaining a "plush" marketing angle). A shame for sure, because now they have moved away from a wispy seatstay set-up and pushed the seatpost and stem suspension route instead.

I'll take the Roubaix out occasionally and it is like butter. Quiet. Nimble. Fast. Comfortable. Basically all the concepts that first defined the "plush" market.  What does become apparent when I ride the Roubaix after the Tarmac is that the Tarmac has a natural and low effort climbing position while the Roubaix is less so with its longer wheelbase. Still, it is an insanely comfortable & sporty bike.

Tom

I think it's a 2013, maybe 2012.  SL4.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I think it's a 2013, maybe 2012.  SL4.

...I'm assuming that you attempted to increase tyre size to modify the harsh ride feel, and that you were limited by the bicycle's design on going larger ?

I have an older Cannondale touring bike, which I use in the winter rainy season a lot.  It is, for me, only comfortable with the largest tyres I can fit on it (700x28's). It woiuld be great if I coiuld fit 700x32's on it, but that's not happening.  700x28's make it reasonable to ride, and are probably faster than 700x32 anyway.

20 minutes ago, No One said:

...I'm assuming that you attempted to increase tyre size to modify the harsh ride feel, and that you were limited by the bicycle's design on going larger ?

I have an older Cannondale touring bike, which I use in the winter rainy season a lot.  It is, for me, only comfortable with the largest tyres I can fit on it (700x28's). It woiuld be great if I coiuld fit 700x32's on it, but that's not happening.  700x28's make it reasonable to ride, and are probably faster than 700x32 anyway.

And pressured down?  I switched to 25's and run 80 PSI front, 85 PSI rear and the ride quality was noticeable over 23's at 100 PSI.

22 hours ago, No One said:

...everyone who gives in to the urge to buy his dream bicycle always lives long enough to regret it two years later when the bicycle-industrial complex comes out with a new "miracle."

I predict that the next great marketing leap in bicycle advertising will be "integrated saddle-less seat posts, where you get one permanently inserted in your rectum for a "better bike fit".  "Do you experience saddle pain and saddle sores from your long training rides ? We have the answer here at Specialized. With our new Pooper Post Technology ™, say goodbye to butt pain and embrace the future of cycling. "

Kinda this.  I feel I would spend many thousands on a cool new bike, only to learn what I already know, it won't make me faster, it won't ride better, and it will cost a lot of money.  I am going to hold off for now.

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Kinda this.  I feel I would spend many thousands on a cool new bike, only to learn what I already know, it won't make me faster, it won't ride better, and it will cost a lot of money.  I am going to hold off for now.

I recognize this feeling.  I have a fine bike.  B)

On 10/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, No One said:

I purchased my dream bike a few years ago - it was 10 years old but lightyears ahead of anything I had ridden previously, and I am not really lustful for the latest and greatest, just a good competent bike.  My only regert is it is snot blue.  :D (White would have been acceptable also, as is the dark gray it is, but nothing floats my boat like a nice shade of blue. :) )

• Awesome 1