RE to the Di2 phone

Square Wheels

52 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, I borrowed my wife bike that has Ui2.  You've mentioned being able to see the shifts and gearing and control what the buttons do.  Do you have a newer Di2 setup?  Did you by the kit from Shimano to get it to work?

There are two separate topics there - one is display and one is control/mapping.

From the real time display perspective, it simply requires a Garmin (or similar) that has a BT/ANT+ connection to the Di2.  I think the newest Di2 does this via the smart battery, but my older Di2 needed the D-Fly unit (the EW-WU101 or the EW-WU111) to talk directly to the Garmin. That transmits all sorts of info, so you just need to decide what you want to see.  I choose rear gear selection (on main screen) and Di2 battery level (on a later screen), and the front and rear shift totals are shown in the ride report summary.

Likewise, the control/mapping portion is controlled via the main junction <-> USB cable <-> laptop OR the EW-U111 via BT ("the Inline Wireless Unit lets you customize your drivetrain and update firmware right from your smartphone or other Bluetooth equipped device"). Adding in Synchro shifting, which I don't use, also requires the newer battery (I think because it has extra memory???)  This video (and ones like it) help demystify it a little bit :D

Tom

• Heart 1

For the record, the BIGGEST reason to get and use Di2 is that it - in my two years - has NEVER MISSED A SHIFT. I shift about 1.8 times a mile, so that is over 10,000 shifts with no jumps, no drops, no "two for ones", no tick-tick-tick-shift. Tap it, it changes.  Heading into a steep hill, in your big ring? No worry that the front chain will get dropped. Just shift and keep cranking. Likewise, shifting back up to the big from the small? No drama.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

54 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You know, I don't think I've ever worried much about which of my 18 gears I'm in.  Push the lever one way it gets easier, the other and it gets harder.

3*6 I assume....  retrogrouchs unite, but not on my yard

Also, I added 2 gears to your bike to get to my scenario.  Never let the truth stand in the way of what is funny to you.

Maxx while you are right to react on one level to my slackness with a LOL, yet at the same time I am genuinely shocked and ashamed of my behaviour, I feel the need of a priest: who here remembers Father Velo formerly of that parish, ye olde Love Forum? He was a peripatetic vicar, who would turn up from time to time, to hear our confessions, I need his succour and to hear what my penance shall be now.

22 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Maxx while you are right to react on one level to my slackness with a LOL, yet at the same time I am genuinely shocked and ashamed of my behaviour, I feel the need of a priest: who here remembers Father Velo formerly of that parish, ye olde Love Forum? He was a peripatetic vicar, who would turn up from time to time, to hear our confessions, I need his succour and to hear what my penance shall be now.

I was never in the love forum.  It seems that I have missed a number of "characters".  I came here directly from BF where there reside many characters you'd rather not meet.

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You know, I don't think I've ever worried much about which of my 16 gears I'm in.  Push the lever one way it gets easier, the other and it gets harder.

Have you climbed Mt Washington like SW? ;) There is a lot of useful info that can be gleaned from knowing your real time HR, power, cadence, and gear, and then useful data to sort through post-ride as well. Again, it is completely possible to ride several thousand miles in a few weeks on rough roads on 35lbs single speed (non-derailleur) bikes, so you "purists" might have a blast, but I remain a fan of taking advantage of current technology - not the bleeding edge, but likewise not the rusted hilt.  Di2, like so much of "modern" bike tech, is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and IMO makes cycling better and funner :D 

Tom

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you climbed Mt Washington like SW? ;) There is a lot of useful info that can be gleaned from knowing your real time HR, power, cadence, and gear, and then useful data to sort through post-ride as well. Again, it is completely possible to ride several thousand miles in a few weeks on rough roads on 35lbs single speed (non-derailleur) bikes, so you "purists" might have a blast, but I remain a fan of taking advantage of current technology - not the bleeding edge, but likewise not the rusted hilt.  Di2, like so much of "modern" bike tech, is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and IMO makes cycling better and funner :D 

Tom

I'll play contrarian. 

I'm sure Di2 is cool. Geewhiz neato. Better? Funner? Doesn't make you faster. My friend JayP is one of the fastest distance racers in the world. I've never seen him use it. 

I have Di2 on my new bike, so have dealt with it for a few months now.  Bearing in mind that I am not a good cyclist, I can say that I will likely never own another bike without it.  Shifting is so clean, quick and exact.  It doesn't make me faster, but it works in my favour. I have even been to cross load my chain now and then and it still works perfectly.

I have no idea how often I shift, if it hurts, I shift until I feel better.  There is no science for my riding, just how much I want to throw up in my mouth

• Awesome 2

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you climbed Mt Washington like SW? ;)There is a lot of useful info that can be gleaned from knowing your real time HR, power, cadence, and gear, and then useful data to sort through post-ride as well. Again, it is completely possible to ride several thousand miles in a few weeks on rough roads on 35lbs single speed (non-derailleur) bikes, so you "purists" might have a blast, but I remain a fan of taking advantage of current technology - not the bleeding edge, but likewise not the rusted hilt.  Di2, like so much of "modern" bike tech, is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and IMO makes cycling better and funner :D 

Tom

No there isn't.  I'm 72.  I went out for a 12 mile ride this morning to enjoy the tree colors along the unpaved trail.  Where my house is it's still green but along the trail bright yellows have come out.  The sky was clear blue and the sun angle that fall low that creates bands of bright and shadow that make it impossible to read the screen on my Garmin watch or even see the view screen on my camera (note to self, next camera must have eye piece).

It was 40 degrees or somewhat colder than I bother to ride.  By the time it was over my knees hurt.  I lost count on the number of shifts I made about 10 minutes into the ride.  There are many ways and reasons to ride bicycles. Mine is retro grouch mode.  Technology like Di2 is for my RC race cars.

11 minutes ago, dennis said:

I'll play contrarian. 

I'm sure Di2 is cool. Geewhiz neato. Better? Funner? Doesn't make you faster. My friend JayP is one of the fastest distance racers in the world. I've never seen him use it. 

Well, 1) you are playing contrarian in an "asking for advice" thread from SW, 2) Zephyr's reply is similar to my experience, and 3) maybe JayP would be faster?  I mean, it's not like the fastest guys in the world are clamoring for their team mechs to swap out their Di2, eTap, or EPS for downtube shifters.  It would be interesting to hear JayP's take on why he isn't using Di2 and maybe it is as simple as weight(!!!) or "he gets into his 53/11 and never shifts again, so why would he need it" sort of thing. Remember LA swapping to a downtube shifter for the Alpe d'Huez TT?

But I didn't mention faster (although I arguably could have), but I would add "quicker" to its list as well as safer and more predictable (both benefits from "brifter" adoption). Of course, no one is forcing folks to add it to their bikes, but SW did and he was looking for some insight on things he could do with it.  

Tom

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

No there isn't.  I'm 72.  I went out for a 12 mile ride this morning to enjoy the tree colors along the unpaved trail.  Where my house is it's still green but along the trail bright yellows have come out.  The sky was clear blue and the sun angle that fall low that creates bands of bright and shadow that make it impossible to read the screen on my Garmin watch or even see the view screen on my camera (note to self, next camera must have eye piece).

It was 40 degrees or somewhat colder than I bother to ride.  By the time it was over my knees hurt.  I lost count on the number of shifts I made about 10 minutes into the ride.  There are many ways and reasons to ride bicycles. Mine is retro grouch mode.  Technology like Di2 is for my RC race cars.

Just ask yourself "How does this response serve SW and the question he posed?"  Then go open a new thread to tout your love of the retro-grouch. 

Tom

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, 1) you are playing contrarian in an "asking for advice" thread from SW, 2) Zephyr's reply is similar to my experience, and 3) maybe JayP would be faster?  I mean, it's not like the fastest guys in the world are clamoring for their team mechs to swap out their Di2, eTap, or EPS for downtube shifters.  It would be interesting to hear JayP's take on why he isn't using Di2 and maybe it is as simple as weight(!!!) or "he gets into his 53/11 and never shifts again, so why would he need it" sort of thing. Remember LA swapping to a downtube shifter for the Alpe d'Huez TT?

But I didn't mention faster (although I arguably could have), but I would add "quicker" to its list as well as safer and more predictable (both benefits from "brifter" adoption). Of course, no one is forcing folks to add it to their bikes, but SW did and he was looking for some insight on things he could do with it.  

Tom

Lance, that's funny. How much weight could be saved? Wasn't his bike already at the lower limit? The junk in his blood was more important than switching shifters.

JayP does races that take 1-3 weeks in length. I would guess charging batteries would be a problem in the middle of nowhere. 

I have no problem with fancy stuff. If someone else was paying, I'd take a fancy bike with Di2. Pros ride it because it's free. Remember Hincapie said he couldn't tell the difference between a Trek, Giant, or BMC. He rode what they gave him. 

During a group ride this summer, one of my friends asked if I felt like I was at a disadvantage riding a heavy steel bike. Virtually everyone else is on a fancy carbon rocket ship. I said "Yes, financially and otherwise."

37 minutes ago, dennis said:

JayP does races that take 1-3 weeks in length. I would guess charging batteries would be a problem in the middle of nowhere. 

Yep - that could be an issue.  Organized & supported races like RAAM now have plenty of folks on eTap or Di2, but that's because they have support teams that can make sure they are topped off every 1,000 miles or so.  If I was unsupported and riding more than say 500 miles at a time, I would stick to cable shifting.  Strasser did RAAM in 8 days - I think with Di2, and Conti in 11 days on eTap.  

42 minutes ago, dennis said:

During a group ride this summer, one of my friends asked if I felt like I was at a disadvantage riding a heavy steel bike. Virtually everyone else is on a fancy carbon rocket ship. I said "Yes, financially and otherwise."

That always depends on an "apples-to-apples" comparison which is usually tossed out in a group ride.  Way too many variable involved, and folks can optimize some but let others slip, so why someone wins or loses often comes down to a mish-mash of reasons.

Tom

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

By the time it was over my knees hurt.  I lost count on the number of shifts I made about 10 minutes into the ride.  There are many ways and reasons to ride bicycles. Mine is retro grouch mode.  Technology like Di2 is for my RC race cars.

I don't want to tout Di2, because I don't really need it.  I do really enjoy my MTB cassette running on my CruX.  I've got a dinner plate on the back of my CruX.  11/46 is really nice.  I can climb really steep things and my knees don't hurt.  

Wolf tooth connector.  It has helped me.