Cheapness! And a puppy!

Ralphie

Looking for the best lightweight Linux for ancient computers, the new Puppy Linux is great!  Lubuntu is 'sposed to be lightweight, but it feels like a pig in comparison and U-tubes won;t even play on it anymore.  I had an older Puppy Linux but it couldn't deal with html5 videos in Firefox, but the latest with the Pale Moon browser plays them wonderfully.  If it does run into trouble, it keeps the audio unbroken and skips a few frames of the video, but that seems to happen only rarely.  Cool!

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Sort of.  I guess eventually I should buy a new computer someday, but I hate to throw away something that works.  And if all I use it for is web surfing, that is 'sposed to be very undemanding, ala netbooks of a few years ago.

I have an 8 year old laptop that handles Ubuntu with zero issues.  I have an even older (2008?) Atom N270 powered Acer Aspire One "laptop" that runs Ubuntu no problem - with like 2 gb RAM and a 50 gb drive.

Tom

• Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I have an 8 year old laptop that handles Ubuntu with zero issues.  I have an even older (2008?) Atom N270 powered Acer Aspire One "laptop" that runs Ubuntu no problem - with like 2 gb RAM and a 50 gb drive.

Tom

So you know what I'm talkin' bout, Willis!  Breathing new life into old crap! 

-Computer-
Processor        : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory        : 1025MB (488MB used)
Machine Type        : Physical machine
Operating System        : xenialpup - 7.5

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So you know what I'm talkin' bout, Willis!  Breathing new life into old crap!  

-Computer-
Processor        : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory        : 1025MB (488MB used)
Machine Type        : Physical machine
Operating System        : xenialpup - 7.5 

Schnizzle!

image.thumb.png.08bff423806bc7d246793a5c69211533.png

• Awesome 1

I don't keep my old computers. I had Apple II Plus serial no. 00802.  Maybe I should have saved it for a future Antiques Roadshow.

I did get a Microsoft Office 2000 disc with a computer back then and kept using it - or copies made of the two discs - until a couple years ago when I started using the freeware WPS Office (https://www.wps.com/office-free) that's virtually the same as M.S. Office 2016.

Thank you, Krazy.  I was going to be annoyed that this was an IT thread with no proper puppy pics!!!  Now that I have a puppy pic,  I'm glad Ralph found a good opearting system or whatever that thing he was looking for is.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...