I just seen something crazy...

bikeman564™

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I know, 18.5 average is moving, for that distance.

It is really hard to hold that for 100 miles.  (Not that I have to tell YOU that).  So let's assume they have to stop to pee, poo, eat, whatever (unless you're doing all of that on the bike) ... realistically you are probably riding a 20 mph av speed for 333 miles.  I am not saying it's not possible.  But for only 3 people?  Dang, that's impressive if it's real.  Makes you wonder if they used a car for motor pacing?  Even if they did, 333 miles is still impressive all in one effort.  

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I was surprised at the profile, down then up. The state is flat, close to Mackinac.

image.png.5d6893f0267d828c7ef1f1949d7d29ca.png

That is a pretty favorable course for the kind of speed that we were talking about in my previous statement.  The only real climbing looks like it's in the 150-200 mile distance.  Looks like a lot of flat or even downhill other than that.  The first 100 looks doable for a pretty high av speed.

• Heart 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

That is a pretty favorable course for the kind of speed that we were talking about in my previous statement.  The only real climbing looks like it's in the 150-200 mile distance.  Looks like a lot of flat or even downhill other than that.  The first 100 looks doable for a pretty high av speed.

I agree. I have no doubt this really happened, and the ride profile, as you mentioned, probably had some fast sections. To hit a 18.5 av, they probably were riding 20 or low 20s for the first third.

• Heart 1

There is some kind of official solo cycling record that starts in Sturgis (south of Kalamazoo) and goes to the bridge.  Then after getting a ride across the bridge (not legal to ride across the bridge) the ride picks back up and goes to Sault Ste. Marie.  A local lady attempted to berak the record a month ago but I never heard how she did nor do I remember what the record is.

• Heart 1

I'm not buying it. If you've ever driven that, it's VERY hilly. I've often thought about riding a bike along there, but the hills are nonstop. (And it's illegal to ride along 75) No way anyone would be able to maintain an 18 mph avg. 

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but I think those dudes are yankin' your chain.

38 minutes ago, smudge said:

I'm not buying it. If you've ever driven that, it's VERY hilly. I've often thought about riding a bike along there, but the hills are nonstop. (And it's illegal to ride along 75) No way anyone would be able to maintain an 18 mph avg. 

It could be done. Two of my friends just rode a double with 9K ft of climbing in 8:47. 

These guys were cooking for sure, but the elevation profile is not that crazy. If they worked together and had support they could do it. Strong effort for sure. 

18 hours ago, smudge said:

whoa :D so all three guys lied? Did you see the profile? The hilly section is only during the last third of the ride, and secondly who rode along 75?

image.png.ca929a0e9e022bf5cf871cd8f29872f0.png

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

whoa :D so all three guys lied? Did you see the profile? The hilly section is only during the last third of the ride, and secondly who rode along 75?

There really was only a couple hilly sections.  There are a couple 200 ft climbs in the middle of the state.

Their blog was a fun read.