I story of how I got bad gas this morning.

jsharr

I tend to seldom look at my gas gauge any longer, as my car tells me when I need gas.  This makes me feel content

Last night on the way home from "work" (hahahahaha) my low fuel indicator illuminated, so this morning on the way to "the office" (wink, wink) I stopped to get gas.   This made me feel apprehension and then relief.

Went through the normal sequence of putting my phone number to get discount, inserting debit card and then pumping gas.  The pump seemed to be really slow and when my tank was finally full, the pump told me to pay inside.  This made me feel annoyed.

Got inside to a short line and a guy behind the counter tapping away on several key pads and keyboards and explaining they had a power "glitch" and their system was rebooting. This made me feel annoyed.

After about 5 minutes I told him I needed to get my son to school and that I had a "job" to get to.  ( I think I kept a straight face on that last part)  This amde me feel more annoyed.

As I was writing down my contact info so I could leave without paying, their "system" (which apparently works as much and as well as I do) came back "up" and I was told I had not paid.

So I gave the guy my card and paid $41.63 for my unknown quantity of gas.  This made me feel a bit concerned.

Got Wade to school 2 minutes before he was late and headed to "the office" (snort) and called my wife so she could check our account and lo and behold, two charges for the same amount from the same gas station!  I called them and have to stop by on Friday after the charges settle to get my refund.  If I was a bigger jerk than I am, I would call my bank and dispute the charge, but most credit card processors charge $30 to the vendor when a customer does this, so I will be nice and wait.

The end.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I tend to seldom look at my gas gauge any longer, as my car tells me when I need gas.  This makes me feel content

Last night on the way home from "work" (hahahahaha) my low fuel indicator illuminated, so this morning on the way to "the office" (wink, wink) I stopped to get gas.   This made me feel apprehension and then relief.

Went through the normal sequence of putting my phone number to get discount, inserting debit card and then pumping gas.  The pump seemed to be really slow and when my tank was finally full, the pump told me to pay inside.  This made me feel annoyed.

Got inside to a short line and a guy behind the counter tapping away on several key pads and keyboards and explaining they had a power "glitch" and their system was rebooting. This made me feel annoyed.

After about 5 minutes I told him I needed to get my son to school and that I had a "job" to get to.  ( I think I kept a straight face on that last part)  This amde me feel more annoyed.

As I was writing down my contact info so I could leave without paying, their "system" (which apparently works as much and as well as I do) came back "up" and I was told I had not paid.

So I gave the guy my card and paid $41.63 for my unknown quantity of gas.  This made me feel a bit concerned.

Got Wade to school 2 minutes before he was late and headed to "the office" (snort) and called my wife so she could check our account and lo and behold, two charges for the same amount from the same gas station!  I called them and have to stop by on Friday after the charges settle to get my refund.  If I was a bigger jerk than I am, I would call my bank and dispute the charge, but most credit card processors charge $30 to the vendor when a customer does this, so I will be nice and wait.

The end.

I see how this could give you a bad case of gas.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KrAzY said:

Are you sure both transactions went though? I have seen where a double amount on a card might be a pending one while the other went though. 

No, both are pending, I will know for sure tomorrow AM.  But the vendor knows this as well.  His merchant account should have an interface he can to into and see unsettled transactions, etc.  I know mine does.  Him telling me to wait until Friday for a refund is a bit much, as I know he will have the funds tonight after midnight.   I can see and void transactions within minutes using my merchant portal with Authorize.net

The gas station should be able to instantly void the extra charge - and apologize for it.

I pay for most things by credit card for the cash-back bonuses. When I used to pay by cash I never checked the total on the receipt when I got it because I knew exactly what I had just paid in cash. Now I should be checking the total on the receipts paid by credit card since the total isn't always visible or mentioned when checking out, but I have developed the bad habit of not looking at the receipt until I put the receipt numbers into my budget spreadsheet.

Once I was charged $184 for a pound of lunch meat because the deli counter guy entered the wrong info and neither he nor I checked the price sticker. The cashier probably just scanned the package without looking at the price. I saw the error only after I got home.  It couldn't have been a store 5 min. from home but one 1/2 hour away.

The store corrected the charges quickly and, over an hour after discovering the error, I was back home promising myself to check the receipts when handed them.

I still slip up every once in a while.

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The cashier probably just scanned the package without looking at the price.

In olden times when I ran a supermarket cash register, we used to receive a report showing our "scan rate", and how fast we could get customers through.  No time to look at prices!  I was too fast, and customers often told me to slow down.  Management of that store was notoriously bad for not updating sale prices.

I once had a customer cursing at me because her $1.98 bag of potatoes rang up as $1.99.

Now, by the time I get to the checkout I want to get the hell out of there.  Often I get home and my wife asks how much I spent at the store - and I have no idea, I have to check the receipt.

She always points out the time I thought I was grabbing a $4 package of liver pate, when I apparently grabbed a $28 package, and I didn't notice until she saw it on the receipt.  Luckily that happened in the parking lot.

Yesterday while going through my bank statements I came across a double payment of the same bill, through PayPal an’ all, I thought better of them, anyways, my bank were as good as gold, said the money would be back in my account by 9pm today, and they’d get it back from PayPal. The discovery did not give me any gas, but did cause my hackles to rise a touch, and my lips curled, which normally I like to keep stiff and straight.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

Yesterday while going through my bank statements I came across a double payment of the same bill, through PayPal an’ all, I thought better of them, anyways, my bank were as good as gold, said the money would be back in my account by 9pm today, and they’d get it back from PayPal. The discovery did not give me any gas, but did cause my hackles to rise a touch, and my lips curled, which normally I like to keep stiff and straight.

I thought you only kept the upper one stiff and straight and the lower one curled to show emotion.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I thought you only kept the upper one stiff and straight and the lower one curled to show emotion.

I used to go for that, but they no longer operate independently, and the tongue will loll out occasionally, unbidden, so stiff and straight is best. My eyebrows still operate independently, though, I still can do the Roger Moore double wink at will, it is a very winning wink, and as sexy a come on as all he!! I assume <nudge nudge wink wink>

Just now, pedalphile said:

I used to go for that, but they no longer operate independently, and the tongue will loll out occasionally, unbidden, so stiff and straight is best. My eyebrows still operate independently, though, I still can do the Roger Moore double wink at will, it is a very winning wink, and as sexy a come on as all he!! I assume <nudge nudge wink wink>

say no more.

• Heart 1

Just now, pedalphile said:

But I must say just this, in the Fast Show, the two gay tailors, Suits You, Sir, do you know them? Check them out on YouTube, but I believe the heart of the sketch and comedy is from right there in that Eric Idle stuff.

I prefer Posh Nosh.  The gay husband and his tennis instructor are more my style.