The science of being clean

Mr. Silly

South Carolina officials warn about 'flushable' wipes after sending divers into 'raw sewage'

“As we expected, they came up with these large masses of wipes in their first two loads, with more to come,” officials with the water system wrote, adding divers also removed a baseball and a “big piece of metal."

“Don't flush stuff like this,” officials warned. “Joking of course, but you should only flush #1, #2, and toilet paper.”

Eww.thumb.jpg.814bb3f47146b7a8fb25bab0a7771fb5.jpg

• Heart 1

My brother's niece went to Greece last summer after high school graduation and returned in time to join our fishing, rafting, etc. Western Maryland Vacation in July.

Having toured there, I asked her what she thought of toilet paper disposal in Greece.

"Oh, God! That was disgusting!"

The waste pipes in Athens, etc. are too small to handle toilet paper so there's a separate bin for them, making each public stall smell like an outhouse.

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My brother's niece went to Greece last summer after high school graduation and returned in time to join our fishing, rafting, etc. Western Maryland Vacation in July.

Having toured there, I asked her what she thought of toilet paper disposal in Greece.

"Oh, God! That was disgusting!"imageproxy.php?img=&key=2c8703aa0a096573

The waste pipes in Athens, etc. are too small to handle toilet paper so there's a separate bin for them, making each public stall smell like an outhouse.

Pretty much half or more of the world.

Tom

20 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

You sound proud

If you’ve got it, flaunt it, baby.

re TP disposal, when you’re on the Ben in what passes for summer in the Western Highlands, you need to tread carefully around the CIC hut, for when those winter snows retreat they reveal the new season’s crop of TP and excrement, really unpleasant, and the TP is the worst of it: if everyone just used the free snow instead, as I allus did when I stayed there, or whenever I crapped anywhere in the hills I’d use what was handy, grass, bracken, a rock, anything but a brightly coloured paper trail to your guilty dump.