The Russians are coming

pedalphile

and I’m going to see and listen to them, tonight at the Oval Hall in this city of Sheffield. They are a very fine band indeed, the Russian State Symphony Orchestra, I have seen them several previous times, and tonight they are giving us a Khachaturian suite, Masquerade, a Shostakovich concerto for the violin (I simply adore Shostakovich) and Tchaikovsky Symphony the Second, the Little Russian. I am very happy about this.

56 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

and I’m going to see and listen to them, tonight at the Oval Hall in this city of Sheffield. They are a very fine band indeed, the Russian State Symphony Orchestra, I have seen them several previous times, and tonight they are giving us a Khachaturian suite, Masquerade, a Shostakovich concerto for the violin (I simply adore Shostakovich) and Tchaikovsky Symphony the Second, the Little Russian. I am very happy about this.

Are there hot women to perv on?

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Are there hot women to perv on?

More than you could shake a stick at, mate: besides, they pay Valentin Uryupin to do that this night. The lady cellists do it for me every time, you know? Sexy as all he!! t’lady cellists, throw in a Russian accent, they have me every time. Those Ukraine girls really knock me out, too.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

More than you could shake a stick at, mate: besides, they pay Valentin Uryupin to do that this night. The lady cellists do it for me every time, you know? Sexy as all he!! t’lady cellists, throw in a Russian accent, they have me every time. Those Ukraine girls really knock me out, too.

This sounds wonderful!  If I ever visit, we must go.

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

Mrs. Silly and I saw Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony over the summer.  It was performed by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.  It was fantastic.  

I am more familiar with the Boston and NY Phil of the American orchestras, not so much with Detroit. The Russian orchestras I’ve heard are all exceptional in the string sound they have, hard to describe as other than very Russian, but they do full justice to the likes of Tchaikovsky’s sound world, with his so luscious lines for the string section.

7 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

The lady cellists do it for me every time, you know? Sexy as all he!! t’lady cellists

The cello section looks weak to me.

image.thumb.png.7957d278521c31fb3cfac37d07ed6578.png

This violinist though is cute as a button.

Capture.PNG.1c86212742ee616b4b618150ce5de642.PNG

She sits in at the rear of the section so she probably has self esteem issues which is probably why she is showing so much skin.  

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

I am more familiar with the Boston and NY Phil of the American orchestras, ... they do full justice to the likes of Tchaikovsky’s sound world, with his so luscious lines for the string section.

I saw the Nutcracker with the Boston Symphony about 7-8 years ago in Boston, it was pretty cool.  I went with the quarrelsome ex and her daughter.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I saw the Nutcracker with the Boston Symphony about 7-8 years ago in Boston, it was pretty cool.  I went with the quarrelsome ex and her daughter.

I remember your reports from the time and they gave me visions of Crocodile Dundee at the ballet ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

You don't know how lucky you are boy.

• Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is definitely 2nd tier.  They're only a 20 minute drive away; it is hard to beat the convenience. 

I’ve yet to decide whether l shall ride or walk there tonight, 5 or 15 minutes, but leaning towards the gentle stroll.

Russian classical musicians are superb - even though they're not forced to practice 12 hours/day since the fall of communism. In 2014, I watched the Moscow Ballet do The Great Russian Nutcracker. It was around $90/ticket for the medium-good seats but it was fantastic!  I always wanted to see it performed in the traditional way with a real, live orchestra, which was actually under the stage with the conductor the only musician visible, conducting from below the middle-front of the stage so he could see and stay in sync with the ballet.

1399571762_Totals-includesparking.JPG.1910ff4a7d669b71f410d0567c8ade20.JPG406404850_nutcracker-3900p.jpg.b6057e9021d63b2af0c6a42d080d49a1.jpg

786741547_5ace191cace35.image900p.jpg.008e52c88517e77f173576f0d4df2435.jpgmoscow_ballets_great_russian_nutcracker_credit_moscow_ballet.jpg.990e034e3b32de765c15a0a1a5778371.jpg

For a long time, I've considered Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers to be the most beautiful piece of instrumental music ever written, so this part was the thrill of the show for me: