So what is the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Randomguy

I guess this has three angles.  I am looking for:

1. The BEST tasting cookie
  2. The easiest, least fussy cookie to make
  3. The one where the dough tastes the best

Of course, I will eat the dough with raw egg in it; don't even think about giving me shit about it because I am not listening to fear-mongering drivel.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Which of the three criteria does this recipe satisfy?  I like that it makes a dozen, but I am concerned about oatmeal in my cookies, seeing that it doesn't really belong with chocolate chips.

By the way, I also have butterscotch chips, so I could make that NM recipe with those.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Which of the three criteria does this recipe satisfy?  I like that it makes a dozen, but I am concerned about oatmeal in my cookies, seeing that it doesn't really belong.

Sir, that is the recipe for the world famous Nieman Marcus Cafe cookies.  Do you want to start another Alamo type event?  Because I will fight to the last sock puppet over this.  Make the damn cookies and shut the hell up.

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sir, that is the recipe for the world famous Nieman Marcus Cafe cookies.  Do you want to start another Alamo type event?  Because I will fight to the last sock puppet over this.  Make the damn cookies and shut the hell up.

In a previous thread you cited a different recipe as the one to make, Sybil.

I was always happy with the one on the bag of Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, adding walnuts to it and usually a little more chocolate and walnuts than called for.  The dough tastes just fine!  There's "15 min. Prep Time, 9 min. Cooking Time, Skill Level: Easy." I can vouch for all that.

I don't know how they compare to the Neiman Marcus cookies except to say you have to question the judgement of anyone who would pay $250 for cookies (remember the old Folger's Instant Coffee commercial where they replaced an expensive restaurant's coffee with Folger's Instant and the customers all thought the high-priced stuff was excellent?) and with the Nestle recipe you don't have blended oatmeal and you don't have to grate Hershey bars and they're still excellent!

They are always gone fast enough that they retain the right amount of softness while they last.

Here's the recipe (https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/original-nestle-toll-house-chocolate-chip-cookies)

"The chocolate chip cookie that started it all! NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® original chocolate chip cookies are a true classic:"

Makes about 5 dozen cookies:

Ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

Instructions:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE
dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

* May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.

FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 teaspoons water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.

Helpful comment from site (though I never worried about kitchen, pans, dough etc. being too warm or cold and my cookies were always great):

This has been my Go-To Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for 25 years..baking is a science, so if you’re having trouble with the result, I’m here to tell you the recipe is perfect. As a baker, these tips should help those producing flat cookies:

1. Do NOT use margarine! Use BUTTER...softened does NOT mean practically melted...it should still maintain shape when you cut it. 2. Do NOT use warm pans...You should have at least 2 cookie sheets to rotate in your oven while baking...put one in the oven, prep the second...when you take the first out and replace with the second, let the 1st pan cool before you prep it to go back in the oven. 3. Measure all ingredient accurately...like I said baking is a science...too little flour makes flat cookies...too much flour makes clumpy dry cookies...and check your dates...if your baking soda, baking powder, and flour ingredients are no good, you’re cookies won’t be either. 4. Dough...is your kitchen too warm? Maybe your dough is too! Put it in the refrigerator for an hour or as much as overnight. If it’s too warm, you’re cookies will run flat! Also, do NOT overbeat your mix...cream your butter and sugar until it’s smooth and fluffy, but once you start adding your egg you should only be mixing to combine your ingredients so your cookies are soft and fluffy too! 5. Oven temp...is your oven temp too low?? You should be preheating and baking at 350...if you lower your temp you may be lowering the height of your cookie. 6. If you are worried about dark bottoms...use parchment paper! Also your baking pans should not be dark...I find Wilton makes the best light pans for cookies...do not use cooking spray or oils on your baking sheets! Keep your baking sheets for baked goods and keep your food cooking in Pyrex, Corning Ware or other oven safe dishes. Or dedicate separate pans for baking and cooking!

I really hope this helps everyone!! Happy baking!!

* I did not compare the recipe to the back of the nestle roll house bag of chocolate chips...the Internet is not always reliable..so use the recipe on the bag to make your own recipe card so you have the right measurements and temps!!

• Heart 1