Hi

Page Turner

...so here is my entertaining experience from the Home Depot parking lot.  AS I was exiting the store, I noticed a HummVee parked in the handicapped spaces. I went over to inspect the situation, thinking it odd that a handicapped person needed that much ground clearance for their transportation.  It had Oregon plates, and no handicapped permit.  But I did not tell anyone because when you live in California, you assume there is something wrong with a person who would choose to live in Oregon under clouds and rain.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, No One said:

...so here is my entertaining experience from the Home Depot parking lot.  AS I was exiting the store, I noticed a HummVee parked in the handicapped spaces. I went over to inspect the situation, thinking it odd that a handicapped person needed that much ground clearance for their transportation.  It had Oregon plates, and no handicapped permit.  But I did not tell anyone because when you live in California, you assume there is something wrong with a person who would choose to live in Oregon under clouds and rain.

Hi.

...I am now roasting a pasture raised chicken that I bought on Sunday.  It has been marinating in Amontillado, and is in a clay pot along with some carrots, and onion, and some potato wedges.

I feel badly that the chicken had to die for this, but it will be a delicious feast.  So I don't really feel all that badly.  I already have soup plans for the stock it will produce in the roasting pan.:nodhead: We are definitely into the shorter days, cooler nights part of our year, even though it has yet to rain much.

...I am now roasting a pasture raised chicken that I bought on Sunday. 

...the chicken turned out deliciously, as I knew it would. While I was cooking it, someone knocked on the door and wanted to buy my wife's old Toyota, which has been waiting for me to do something with it.  So I sold that while I was cooking supper.  And simultaneously my primer coat was still drying out back.  So it has been a rich full day here in the Golden State. :loveshower:

Speaking of primers, and painting, once you get a frame stripped of the old paint (the worst part of this whole endeavor), I have discovered that the best primers seem to be the self etching ones.  But I can only find it in a dark grey, and to paint a bicycle in a metal-flake color and get a good, deep, reflective result, the color coat needs to go over a white base.  So I now have pretty much gone over to priming with a self etching dark grey, then over-coating that in about a half an our (while it is still gassing off) with a standard white metal primer.  This ensures a better bond between these two coats.

Even though these bikes by Ron Cooper were originally painted in a sort of straight up apple red, this one has been repainted at least once, possibly twice, before. So I feel free to go with something a  little more eye catching for the color coat. Also, the new two part epoxy clear coats give a magical depth and shine to a metal-flake color coat.  I'll try to remember to post a photo when done.

Like I said, a rich full day, with that bicycle just waiting for the pimp coat and decals. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, No One said:

...the chicken turned out deliciously, as I knew it would. While I was cooking it, someone knocked on the door and wanted to buy my wife's old Toyota, which has been waiting for me to do something with it.  So I sold that while I was cooking supper.  And simultaneously my primer coat was still drying out back.  So it has been a rich full day here in the Golden State. :loveshower:

Speaking of primers, and painting, once you get a frame stripped of the old paint (the worst part of this whole endeavor), I have discovered that the best primers seem to be the self etching ones.  But I can only find it in a dark grey, and to paint a bicycle in a metal-flake color and get a good, deep, reflective result, the color coat needs to go over a white base.  So I now have pretty much gone over to priming with a self etching dark grey, then over-coating that in about a half an our (while it is still gassing off) with a standard white metal primer.  This ensures a better bond between these two coats.

Even though these bikes by Ron Cooper were originally painted in a sort of straight up apple red, this one has been repainted at least once, possibly twice, before. So I feel free to go with something a  little more eye catching for the color coat. Also, the new two part epoxy clear coats give a magical depth and shine to a metal-flake color coat.  I'll try to remember to post a photo when done.

Like I said, a rich full day, with that bicycle just waiting for the pimp coat and decals. :nodhead:

I have a neglected lightweight tourer down in the cellar, a Keith Coppell frame in 531, used to be my commuter, apple red as it goes, it is crying out for some TLC such as you’re describing here, my friend, which it is not likely to ever get from me, I fear. When you’re round this way, you could fit that in, right?

• Sad 1