Almost got a pedestrian last night

12string

Driving down a 4 lane, with thank God wide shoulders, Box truck in the left lane driving fast - slow, curb - lines - looked like a cell phone thing.  He slowed a bunch and drifted left so I took the opportunity to get by him before he caused an accident.  Just as I got next to him he hit the gas and drifted a couple feet into my lane.  I went into the shoulder just in time to see a pedestrian in dark clothes walking with his (or her) back to traffic.  I leaned on the horn to warn both and had no choice but to stay clear of the pedestrian and hope the truck didn't bounce me into the pedestrian.  Not sure how close the truck got, but he heard the horn and swung back in his lane.

He must have dropped his phone, the next couple miles he was actually able to drive properly.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I amuse myself with the idea that cars, trucks, etc. should have the driver's cell phone number displayed on the back of the vehicle. 

Another amusement for me is the idea that one could have a scrolling text message board in the back window of your car.

How about Bluetooth communication between vehicles?

Back in my truck driving days I had been on the road for something like thirty hours and was really struggling to stay awake. It was winter and I had my windows down to try to keep from falling asleep. There was a rest area about fifty miles past the scale and I wanted to make it there before I went to bed. And then I heard a voice on my radio asking if I was alright. That’s when I decided to just pull in to the weigh station and go to bed. Sometimes bad drivers don’t even realize they are driving bad.

• Heart 1

Every study ever done has shown zero difference between hands free and handheld.  It's about the brain, not the hand.  As a cyclist, I prefer handheld, at least I can see they are on the phone and likely to do something stupid.  The reduction in fatalities is likely due to the new law making people think more about any phone use.

There really aren't workable laws for this, it's got to be  a societal realizaton that it's dangerous.  Or hope we all survive until self driving cars are the norm.

• Awesome 1

11 hours ago, 12string said:

Every study ever done has shown zero difference between hands free and handheld.  It's about the brain, not the hand.  As a cyclist, I prefer handheld, at least I can see they are on the phone and likely to do something stupid.  The reduction in fatalities is likely due to the new law making people think more about any phone use.

There really aren't workable laws for this, it's got to be  a societal realizaton that it's dangerous.  Or hope we all survive until self driving cars are the norm.

Yup!  Multitasking is pure bullshit.  We are in danger of forgetting aboot Biker Billy who was wiped out years ago by a texting teenager.  This is just a ridiculous tragedy that so many deaths are attributable to something so unnecessary.   I loved how the Car Talk guys were on a mission to reduce cell phone use while driving.