Give peas a chance?

Randomguy

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Whirled peas.

World pease? Did he say world pease? What are these? 

Re the OP, there are peas and there is stew, sometimes the twain meet, other times they do not, depends what’s in the market, the garden or the frig on t’day, for the stew is a very moveable feast. For me, a summer stew would allus include fresh peas, and or mange tout, green beans, et cetera, in colder times my stew with dried split pease, green or yellow, would be called a pottage of pease, and they would be the main player in the dish, aka, pease pudding, as in the nursery rhyme 

pease pudding hot

pease pudding cold

pease pudding in t’pot

seven days olde

5 hours ago, No One said:

...if you do put peas in stew, they must be added at the very last minute, so they don't get mushy and overcooked.

Adding them just about when you turn off the flame on the burner is about right.  Mushy, overcooked peas are why people don't like peas.

Mushy and over cooked peas is a thing here, mate, we like em, especially us oop north, we like em with our chips and fisk, or with pie and mash, they even sell em in cans, but home made from dried peas is best of course. Traditionally they’d be cooked in the stock from a bacon hock.

I grew with pealess stew, but it doesn;t matter to me - they don;t really add or detract much, they are just there in stew, inert.

Everyone knows the real magic and chemistry occurs with peas and mashed taters, ;specially with gravy.  There the two foods complement each other wonderfully. :)

Peas and carrots are also sort of inert together.  Lima beans definitely hold succotash together - THEY add something magical. :)

6 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Mushy and over cooked peas is a thing here, mate, we like em, especially us oop north, we like em with our chips and fisk, or with pie and mash, they even sell em in cans, but home made from dried peas is best of course. Traditionally they’d be cooked in the stock from a bacon hock.

...here in God's country, we call that "split pea soup." :)

Love peas, but they're not Keto.

For me, stew needs 3 things, beef, taters and peas. Actually, taters, peas and anything works for me.

I will eat a few purple potatoes, but nothing like the amounts I used to eat.

On the plus side, I was 275 yesterday, and 272.8 this morning.