Someone else's grief

shootingstar

Suddenly at work, a work colleague burst into tears. She went on for awhile.  She is normally a kind, not seemingly over-emotional type of person.  She had just been told by a relative by phone, that her great-nephew, a father only 27 yrs. old died suddenly in the town where he lives.  At the time of the incoming phone call, no one in family knew the exact cause of death.  So it must have been something that happened on the job or whatever.    However she has had 3 family deaths in the last 18 months -- a cousin, her mother and most recently a sister.

Anyway, 2 other work colleagues (female also), cried abit. 

Each of these women are around my age.  Each currently have a close family member close to death or shortened lifespan. 1 has her mother who just started pallative care because she has cancer.  The 2nd person has a sister who is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer which returned after remission.  Her sister is ill enough that she is driven around and can't be exposed to sick people

?  Sometimes I think I'm like stone since I don't get affected by someone else's grief in a public environment.   On the other hand, alone, every few months I cry abit over my sister, my father.  Usually something happens/ quiet reflection over something I recently saw that triggers a memory.