Petite, I may need your help.

Parr8hed

Wife has a company car.  They take 85/week out of her pay for a car.  She doesn't pay for anything.  Gas, oil, taars, insurance all on the company.  If she ditches the car then she gets 50/ wk allowance.  That's a 135/wk swing.  I am thinking that we could get her a decent ride for that kind of cabbage.  

Problem is that we have to take my truck lots of places because I cannot drive her car.  If we got her another ride we could take it on trips and keep some miles down off the pickup.  

So what should I buy the little lady?  A Mazda CX-9, Ford Explorer or Chevy Traverse are tops of the list.  Looking for 4X4 mid sized SUV.  Approx 2 years old.  Less than 40K miles.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Toyota Highlander gets top scores from Consumer Reports, Edmunds and others.  It should be high on your list.  Mom and Dad have one.  Seems to be a really good vehicle.  Theirs has been problem free for years.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=21260&mkId=20088&mlgId=28869&page=1&perPage=20&prMx=30000&rd=20&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=47119

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Toyota Highlander gets top scores from Consumer Reports, Edmunds and others.  It should be high on your list.  Mom and Dad have one.  Seems to be a really good vehicle.  Theirs has been problem free for years.

If it's so darn great how come you bought a pimpmobile?

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Always Wong said:

If it's so darn great how come you bought a pimpmobile?

I wanted a change of pace.  I had driven an SUV or truck for over a decade and wanted another fun sedan.  This morning Wade told me that I am always happy when I am driving the Chrysler.  Nuff said.

Also, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=21260&mkId=20088&mlgId=28869&page=1&perPage=20&prMx=30000&rd=20&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=47119

I like the 4 runners a lot.

22 hours ago, jsharr said:

I wanted a change of pace.  I had driven an SUV or truck for over a decade and wanted another fun sedan.  This morning Wade told me that I am always happy when I am driving the Chrysler.  Nuff said.

Also, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Yay!  We need to show the colors for the much neglected sedan. :)

Just aboot all the wimmins are a lost cause. :( Don;t know why they prefer the visibility of the SUV over the stability, fun, beauty, and efficiency of a sedan.  

• Heart 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:50 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yay!  We need to show the colors for the much neglected sedan. :)

Just aboot all the wimmins are a lost cause. :( Don;t know why they prefer the visibility of the SUV over the stability, fun, beauty, and efficiency of a sedan.  

I hear ya.  We have a full size, 4 door pickup.  We don't need an SUV, we need a car...but she don't want a car.  I even had her sit in a dope 2017 Caddy.  The interior was dope, the exterior was dope.  I bet it drove dope as hell.  It was no more expensive than the middle of the range SUV's that we were looking at, but it was a car and she would have NOTHING to do with it.  ?

I think that we are going to settle for a very nicely appointed Explorer.  There are about 3 that we are looking at.  All Limited models with the 4x4, heated everything (including steering wheels) anywhere from 2015-2017 with about 25k miles.  It is a dope ride for sure.  

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

"It is not horrible"

What a wonderful compliment.  ?

Ha!  That is how I feel about the Terrain/Traverse.  They are just kinda Bla.  I sat in a Acadia Denalli.  Very nice on the inside but I know at least 3 people that have had horrible issues with them.  Will NOT be getting one of those.  

7 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I hear ya.  We have a full size, 4 door pickup.  We don't need an SUV, we need a car...but she don't want a car.  I even had her sit in a dope 2017 Caddy.  The interior was dope, the exterior was dope.  I bet it drove dope as hell.  It was no more expensive than the middle of the range SUV's that we were looking at, but it was a car and she would have NOTHING to do with it.  ?

I think that we are going to settle for a very nicely appointed Explorer.  There are about 3 that we are looking at.  All Limited models with the 4x4, heated everything (including steering wheels) anywhere from 2015-2017 with about 25k miles.  It is a dope ride for sure.  

Ass warmers are dope in winter. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, late said:

Gas prices tend to spike to 50% over their previous peak. If this gets as fubar as some analysts think, it could go higher.

Enjoy!

She has a company gas card.  Not going to complain about a few mgp difference in this and a car.  

13 minutes ago, dennis said:

This first sentence makes no sense. Please try again.

Price spikes are common in commodities.  Here's a chart:

Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Jan-2016.jpg

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

“There are still not enough signs of investment beginning to return, and that raises the risk of tightening of the market in the next five years and a risk to the stability of oil prices”

Shipping is going to low sulphur diesel in 2020, and that's going to be like throwing dynamite into a lake. Combine that with the lack of investment, and things could get...interesting.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IEA-Price-Spike-Coming-in-2020.html

1 hour ago, late said:

Price spikes are common in commodities.  Here's a chart:

Inflation-Adjusted-Gasoline-Jan-2016.jpg

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

“There are still not enough signs of investment beginning to return, and that raises the risk of tightening of the market in the next five years and a risk to the stability of oil prices”

Shipping is going to low sulphur diesel in 2020, and that's going to be like throwing dynamite into a lake. Combine that with the lack of investment, and things could get...interesting.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IEA-Price-Spike-Coming-in-2020.html

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying or you don't understand what a 50% increase is.

In 1981, the price is $3.51(peak). Then it drops. The next spike is 2008 and the price is $3.54. That  is not a 50% increase. Over 37 years the price increase $.03. That is 1% not 50%. Then in 2012 it increases to $3.66. 3% over 2008, not 50%. Am I calculating this incorrectly? So if gasoline is $3.00 a gallon now, a 50% increase would be $4.50/gal. I'm not saying that won't happen, it might, but the examples you gave don't seem to show that. 

• Heart 1

Just now, dennis said:

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying or you don't understand what a 50% increase is.

In 1981, the price is $3.51(peak). Then it drops. The next spike is 2008 and the price is $3.54. That  is not a 50% increase. Over 37 years the price increase $.03. That is 1% not 50%. Then in 2012 it increases to $3.66. 3% over 2008, not 50%. Am I calculating this incorrectly? So if gasoline is $3.00 a gallon now, a 50% increase would be $4.50/gal. I'm not saying that won't happen, it might, but the examples you gave don't seem to show that. 

I was spitballing. As the chart shows, occasionally you get these horrendous price spikes, and I think we are going to get another.

Looks like we have found a 2015 Explorer.  Only 37K miles.  It's only an XLT but leather, NAV and a decent chrome package.  Non turbo 3.5 liter motor.  The wife can drive this for a few years and then Griffin can beat the shit out of it when he starts driving.  it will be a pretty good softball transporter helping to keep miles off my truck.

New trucks are just stupid expensive.  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Cripes if work is buying her gas she should buy a Unimog. Way better than a Ford.

That’s very olde school thinking John and does not cut it in these days of climate change: having the available funds does not make it right to misuse them on wasteful greenhouse gas producing vehicles, we must all take responsibility for our own impact on resources and pollution, and do the right thing, for the sake of the future of our planet, and our children and grandchildren and the generations beyond these.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

That’s very olde school thinking John and does not cut it in these days of climate change: having the available funds does not make it right to misuse them on wasteful greenhouse gas producing vehicles, we must all take responsibility for our own impact on resources and pollution, and do the right thing, for the sake of the future of our planet, and our children and grandchildren and the generations beyond these.

did you keep a straight face while writing that because I was unable to when reading it.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

did you keep a straight face while writing that because I was unable to when reading it.

Absolutely I did, your face and attitude I can do nothing about. There’s no difference who pays there’s no such thing as a free lunch; you do understand that, right?

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Climate change was fully embraced by the scientific community 20 years ago.

Btw, a Hawaiian island just disappeared.

2 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

If climate change could be fixed with deflection or burying one’s head in sand or even by Great good humour you, jsharr, would have a Nobel Peace Prize or three by now.

Responsibility has left the building...