Out of Curiosity...

ChrisL

I picked up a sweet bike from a foreclosure. Got it cleaned up & fixed up. Rode it a little bit. Had suicide levers. LOL Those things were dangerous!

The down tube shifters were "challenging". gave it away IIRC

It was then that i realized how much better my plastic bike is

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Who hear besides @No One and me has actually owned a bike with downtube shifters, floppy brake cables, toe clips and a steel frame?

Im thinking @sheep_herder and maybe a few others...

I have and still do own one, an 80s Falcon of England Europa.  Reynolds 501 frame, down tube shifters and I have the original brakes, but converted them over to aero levers, so right now the cables are under the bar wrap.
  Also have an 83 Cannondale with all those features except the steel frame.

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Who hear besides @No One and me has actually owned a bike with downtube shifters, floppy brake cables, toe clips and a steel frame?

My "steel is real" steed is an MTB with flat bars, so no downtube shifting for me.  I am still rocking relatively unwieldy brake and shifter cables and flat pedal (no toe clips now) on it as well as a rack and a fenders.  It works well in its current incarnation as an all-weather commuter.  Oddly, it has never been rust-proofed (to my knowledge) but at over 20yrs old, rust is yet to be an issue.

Tom

• Heart 1

Years back, my neighbor was cleaning out his basement and put a Holdsworth out to the curb. I snatched that up before his front door closed. Actually, I gave him $100 for it later. He purchased it in Belgium in the early 80's when he was stationed there. Set up in the European brake style; left brake lever worked the rear brake and the right worked the front. Campagnolo gruppo with downtube shifters. I liked owning it but couldn't keep it. Sold it at a bike swap meet for $400.

I’ve owned two Harley trikes with suicide shifter. I think two of my bikes came with pedals and toe clips. Those pedals may still be out in the garage. It doesn’t make much sense to put petals on a new bike, everyone switches them out anyway. My 520 is steel frame. I never had a bike with all those things on one bike.

I did. I had a 1982-83 Peugeot steel frame bike. When I reall started riding in 2012 I rode it a few times then bought my current bike. Night and day?

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yes to owning a bike. No to downtube shifters. No to floppy break cables. No to toe clips. Yes to steel frame. 

So I guess that's a NO.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The bike I rode until the wheels fell apart a few years ago had downtube shifters, but it was aluminum, a 1988 Raleigh Technium.  My first real bike was a 1981 Raleigh Grand Prix with the stem mounted shifters, and it is steel.

The bike you rode with me in Franklin had downtube shifters. That’s all I noticed but I’m not very observant. I didn’t even notice there was no glass in that big window in the brew pub until that guy on the street reached in the window and grabbed a mug of beer and took a drink.

• Haha 3

I have one that fits the bill, now. Back when, at least one was a Schwinn. I don't remember what the other was. I bought it used as a replacement because somebody stole my new Schwinn.

Cable management is critical. One must ensure both cables rise above the handlebars exactly the same height and cross at exactly equidistant locations from the levers. Just so you know.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

When I moved to Rapid City for college (1980), my parents bought a road bike from a police auction. It was rough, but had good bones. I refurbished it and it was a nice ride!  It was stolen from work in 1983

It was sold through JC Penney but of European origin. I forgot the name, but years later our LBS owner knew it right away. Agreed it was a decent bike. 

Not I, though I do have bikes with some of those things, eg the down tube shifters, but I did away with floppy cables for the modern versions, frame wrapped, did away with floppy brakes again just for ones that actually brake, you know? No more toe clips either, so for this reason I cannot enter the retro events on my Kirk Precision, which is a great pity, there are few of these about, and it deserves to be seen by the many, since when I’m out on it it allus turns heads and sparks interest.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=UujSW86yKIO4kwX8oaPICA&ins=false&q=kirk+precision&oq=kirk+pre&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.0l5.5987.8600..9719...0.0..0.253.1254.2j6j1......0....1.......0..0i10.BefyYlx3Jbs#imgrc=mrHN0xlfbukh1M

I rode my first century (and first ever organized bike ride) on an old Schwinn Grand Touring steel bike that I bought at a garage sale for $15  and "fixed" up to ride.  Down tube shifters, toe clips, iffy brakes, cheap tires, hand-sprayed silver Rustoleum.  I did put a computer on it.  It must have been a sight to everyone else to see me in a paceline of 20 high end bikes going 20mph like I knew what I was doing.  I kept that up for 15 miles and then rode the "last" 85 miles solo.  I was hooked after that even though I could barely walk afterwards.

• Heart 1

My first road bike was a Schwinn Le Tour.  It fit all of your standards.  Rode my first 100 mile ride on that one.  I have also had a World Sport.  I currently have two steel frame, downtube bikes.  One is a single speed though.  The other one never gets ridden.  

Bought when stationed in Great Britain in 1986 and still ride today. A little large for me as I have shrunk a couple inches in the 20 years, but still rideable as the topbar doesn't stretch me out like newer geometries for that size bike. Worst thing I did was build new wheels (Mavic Open Road Pro on Chorus hubs) which took away my excuse to get rid of it. Had some closeup photos which have published here before but can't find them. Not where they should be in the "Bike" folder. Reynolds 531c frame, Campy downtube shifter and rear detailer - upgraded with wheels to 9sp Centaur from original Campy Triophe 6sp. The rest is more generic of the day. Here are a few photos I did locate.

I do have the original toe clips in the 'junk box' in the garage...but the leather straps (no nylon back then) has long since rotted.

DSC_5149-2500px.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

DSC_5246.jpg

DSC_5356a.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Bought when stationed in Great Britain in 1986 and still ride today. A little large for me as I have shrunk a couple inches in the 20 years, but still rideable as the topbar doesn't stretch me out like newer geometries for that size bike. Worst thing I did was build new wheels (Mavic Open Road Pro on Chorus hubs) which took away my excuse to get rid of it. Had some closeup photos which have published here before but can't find them. Not where they should be in the "Bike" folder. Reynolds 531c frame, Campy downtube shifter and rear detailer - upgraded with wheels to 9sp Centaur from original Campy Triophe 6sp. The rest is more generic of the day. Here are a few photos I did locate.

I do have the original toe clips in the 'junk box' in the garage...but the leather straps (no nylon back then) has long since rotted.

DSC_5149-2500px.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

DSC_5246.jpg

DSC_5356a.jpg

Nice bike and post, the leather toe straps are still available new if you wanted to restore btw.

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Not I, though I do have bikes with some of those things, eg the down tube shifters, but I did away with floppy cables for the modern versions, frame wrapped, did away with floppy brakes again just for ones that actually brake, you know? No more toe clips either, so for this reason I cannot enter the retro events on my Kirk Precision, which is a great pity, there are few of these about, and it deserves to be seen by the many, since when I’m out on it it allus turns heads and sparks interest.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=UujSW86yKIO4kwX8oaPICA&ins=false&q=kirk+precision&oq=kirk+pre&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.0l5.5987.8600..9719...0.0..0.253.1254.2j6j1......0....1.......0..0i10.BefyYlx3Jbs#imgrc=mrHN0xlfbukh1M

I remember those bikes! Can't say I ever saw one back in the day tho.