Lentil soup and the covers that blew off my bed

Dottleshead

Looking great, pal, I love the stuff. Surprised to see you name those things chickpeas, I thought you called em garbanzos? And I do pity your bedcovers, and sympathies to them, and the cat. I soaked some puy lentils last night, they’ll be going into the slow cooker presently, and a casserole will be ready by supper time.

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

Surprised to see you name those things chickpeas, I thought you called em garbanzos?

That it a good question why they have a dual moniker.

Etymology

The name "chickpea" traces back through the French chiche to cicer, Latin for "chickpea" (from which the Roman cognomen Cicero was taken). The Oxford English Dictionary lists a 1548 citation that reads, "Cicer may be named in English Cich, or ciche pease, after the Frenche tongue." The dictionary cites "Chick-pea" in the mid-18th century; the original word in English taken directly from French was chich, found in print in English in 1388. In neo-latin (modern Italian) it is known as a "cece" (CHAY-chay) in the singular, and "ceci" (CHAY-chee) in the plural.

The word garbanzo, from an alteration of Old Spanish arvanço, came first to American English as garvance in the 17th century, being gradually anglicized to calavance, though it came to refer to a variety of other beans (cf. calavance). The current form garbanzo comes directly from modern Spanish,[9] and is commonly used in regions of the United States with a strong Mexican or Spanish influence.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That it a good question why they have a dual moniker.

Etymology

The name "chickpea" traces back through the French chiche to cicer, Latin for "chickpea" (from which the Roman cognomen Cicero was taken). The Oxford English Dictionary lists a 1548 citation that reads, "Cicer may be named in English Cich, or ciche pease, after the Frenche tongue." The dictionary cites "Chick-pea" in the mid-18th century; the original word in English taken directly from French was chich, found in print in English in 1388. In neo-latin (modern Italian) it is known as a "cece" (CHAY-chay) in the singular, and "ceci" (CHAY-chee) in the plural.

The word garbanzo, from an alteration of Old Spanish arvanço, came first to American English as garvance in the 17th century, being gradually anglicized to calavance, though it came to refer to a variety of other beans (cf. calavance). The current form garbanzo comes directly from modern Spanish,[9] and is commonly used in regions of the United States with a strong Mexican or Spanish influence.

Thanks for that Ralph. Probably the best chicks I’ve ever had are the ones in Spain sold in jars, these are Mexican peas btw, also sold dried widely where I’ve travelled in the south of Spain.

11 hours ago, pedalphile said:

I thought you called em garbanzos? 

Yeah, they are interchangeable here.  I really think it's either the origins of the recipe or manufacturer.  That Indian mix above actually is made in Canada and they state right on their label 'chickpeas'.  This could be a Wilbur question if Wilbur were still around.  How about @shootingstar?

On 10/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, Always Zipped said:

My wife made some INCREDIBLE lentil soup w/ garlic, onions, the works.

I made some but I must have left out the works because it wasn't as good as hoped. Now I buy the bag of "16 beans" including lentils to make soup.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, Always Zipped said:

My wife found a recipe in Forks Over Knives. Hopefully my stomach adjusts because the flatulence is impressive.

That's for pointing out forksoverknives.com - there are a lot of good looking recipes there.  I usually look in geniuskitchen.com and allrecipes.com when I'm looking for recipe ideas or instructions, but I've added Forks Over Knives to my browser's Food folder!

• Heart 1