Another sign of global warming

Chris...

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I suspect The Fox, because one time he sawed off FLorida and sailed away with it.  No wait, actually he put an ootboard motor and motored away with it.  That was a really obscure cartoon from my yute.

(BTW, did you know Joe Pesci started oot as a singer (Jeopardy, 7:00) (Rain Man).)

What did the fox say?

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

If all the ice melts, our water will drain over the edge of the earth :runcirclsmiley:

You think the Cafe' is nuts, you should check out some of the stuff on the Flat Earth Society forum.

xx.gif
New Theory
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »

The suns light primarily travel along an up and down path beteween the sun and the earth, and the water in the atmosphere redirects  the light, as seen in a rainbow, to create the hemispherical effects observed in the heavens.
  • Haha 2

I remember growing up and having elementary school teachers telling us that most world leaders, including the Spanish, believed the world was flat at the time of Columbus and that many of his sailors were afraid of sailing off the edge of the world.

Later, of course, I learned that the Spanish knew the earth was round and advisors to the crown said that the diameter or the earth was much larger than Columbus claimed - and they were right - and that the distance west from Spain to China was much greater than he claimed.  Of course, it should have made sense that something other than empty ocean existed in between due to such a huge distance and that's why Columbus is famous today even though he was wrong!

Even later, I learned that Eratosthenes of Alexandria, Egypt in 240 B.C. learned that on the longest day of the year, the Summer Solstice (usually June 21 in the modern calendar), that in the city of Syrene (modern Aswan), Egypt, at high noon the Sun was directly overhead and shone down into the bottoms of wells.

Eratosthenes realized he could determine the circumference of the Earth by measuring the angle the Sun made at high noon on that day in Alexandria and knowing the distance between Alexandria and Syrene, 5000 stadia - where a stadium was 1/10 of a modern mile so the distance was 500 miles.  Eratosthenes measured the angle as 1/50 of a circle (7.2 degrees).  Therefore the circumference of the Earth, according to him, was 50 x 500 miles = 25,000 miles.  Today, the circumference of the Earth at the equator is known to be 24,901 miles. Eratosthenes was only 1/4 of one percent off!  Later another Greek did a similar measurement with the angle a star made between two cities at the same time, but he got the distance between the cities wrong and and calculated 18,000 miles. In the 2nd century A.D., the astronomer Ptolemy used the 18,000 mile number in his treatise. Columbus used that number and that's why he thought China was 7,000 miles closer to Spain than it really was. The Spanish scientists in 1492 used Eratosthenes number and told King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella that Columbus would never reach China.  They sent him anyway: Columbus had evidence from things that floated across the Atlantic to the Canary Islands and other places that something was out there!

Others repeated the experiment and Eratosthenes number became the standard over Ptolemy as time went on, but I didn't know how many people actually knew or believed it or even believed the world was round (or roundish) as history marched on.

Then, in 1996, I toured the ruins of Ephesus in Turkey, which was the world's largest city (Greek then) 2000 years ago, eventually abandoned around 1000 years ago because the harbor silted-up. So the ruins are very intact, including the public lavatory on the main street (with running water 1000 years ago) and the public library, built by two former slaves who had gained their freedom and become rich. Citizens sponsored the oil-lamp street lights on the main street and often put advertisements under them.  The Roman Emperor Trajan, who ruled from 98-117 A.D., had a fountain under his oil lamp and a life-size statue of him standing under it's top arch. 

Now the statue is in a museum but in 1996 it was lying in several pieces in a ditch - I or anyone else could have stolen pieces of it.  But the feet and ankles of the statue were still attached to the fountain (I imagine they're in the museum, too), with one foot standing on a ball about basketball size.  Our guide pointed to the ball and asked me, "Do you know what Trajan is saying?"

I shook my head, "No," and he answered, "I rule the world."

Wow! That ball represented the world! In a flash I understood that 1900 years ago the average person walking down the street in Ephesus knew the world was round!  Otherwise the propaganda would have been ineffective.

Today, I know that arguments for a round world existed at least from the time of Pythagoras, around 500 B.C. and the earliest person whose writings we still have who offered evidence of a round world - ships disappearing below the horizon as they sailed out to seas, a round shadow of the earth on the Moon during lunar eclipses, etc. - was Aristotle around 350 B.C.

P.S.  A quick search shows that Trajan's feet are still attached to the fountain: that's his toga drapped over his right foot (on our left) that stands on the world, carved 1900 years ago:

figure28-globe-trajan-fountain-ephesus.jpg.4cb826c5a4b1ee590a48e6b9cd596819.jpgephesus_curetes_fountain_trajan.jpg.60c66e0b2d708dadc37aed974e9cc44c.jpg

Near the ancient harbor, the advertisement below is carved into the pavement.  There's a cross at the top left, a left footprint on the bottom left, and a woman on the right:

brothel-in-ephesus.jpg.c2b415875e3a64d0383afea064f43267.jpg

It says: "Hey sailor, want a woman? Turn left at the crossroads.

18 hours ago, Always Wong said:

You think the Cafe' is nuts, you should check out some of the stuff on the Flat Earth Society forum.

xx.gif
New Theory
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »

The suns light primarily travel along an up and down path beteween the sun and the earth, and the water in the atmosphere redirects  the light, as seen in a rainbow, to create the hemispherical effects observed in the heavens.

I have watched some of their sheot...crazy for sure. And I have a flat earth cousin :wacko:

• Haha 1