I guess Wheels did not buy the Bimmer ragtop

jsharr

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Please explain?

They do, if I get a convertible, it will be a hardtop.  I am too uptight for almost anything.

On the explain part, I think he was saying it was lame.  If so, he was correct.

I guess I should have said drop top bimmer instead of rag top bimmer.  My bad.

Personally I'd recommend the Mercedes C-300 4matic sedan with some of the performance packages and a nice sun roof.  Convertibles in New England are generally cold and noisy.  Womaxx loved the convertible we rented in Florida but by the end of the week she admitted that the potential down sides were not worth the occasional top down jaunt.    It's one hell of a car with a better reputation than a beemer or audi.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/c-class/sedan/c300w4

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Personally I'd recommend the Mercedes C-300 4matic sedan with some of the performance packages and a nice sun roof.  Convertibles in New England are generally cold and noisy.  Womaxx loved the convertible we rented in Florida but by the end of the week she admitted that the potential down sides were not worth the occasional top down jaunt.    It's one hell of a car with a better reputation than a beemer or audi.

It's a hardtop.  I'll take it for a test drive first.  I won't get it if I don't love it.

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It's a hardtop.  I'll take it for a test drive first.  I won't get it if I don't love it.

If you want to spend more there are higher models like the E and S class and there are 2 door coupes as well.  The sun roof seems more than adequate for those 2 or 3 summer days you want the wind in your hair.  It will also depend on where the local dealerships are when you finally need service.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If you want to spend more there are higher models like the E and S class and there are 2 door coupes as well.  The sun roof seems more than adequate for those 2 or 3 summer days you want the wind in your hair.  It will also depend on where the local dealerships are when you finally need service.

I had a Camaro with a T Roof, I had them out all of the time, including winter.  I'l have the top down most of the time.

The dealer part is worrisome.  There are two in Massachusetts.  I don't understand how that can me.  I see thousands of them on the road.

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I had a Camaro with a T Roof, I had them out all of the time, including winter.  I'l have the top down most of the time.

The dealer part is worrisome.  There are two in Massachusetts.  I don't understand how that can me.  I see thousands of them on the road.

They probably have New Hampshire plates.

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I actually think Audi is the better car builder these days, overall. You get more convertible options with the Mercedes lines, but if that’s not the deal breaker, I’d at least look at an Audi if you’re considering a luxury sedan.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/audi-vs-mercedes

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I actually think Audi is the better car builder these days, overall. You get more convertible options with the Mercedes lines, but if that’s not the deal breaker, I’d at least look at an Audi if you’re considering a luxury sedan.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/audi-vs-mercedes

I've never been able to get over the Audi valve cover fiasco.  There were a number of years where Audi's began to smoke prematurely because the design of the cylinder head/gasket interface leaked oil onto the adjacent exhaust manifold.  My oldest son was interested in buying a used Audi a few years ago and we couldn't find a non smoker anywhere.  Eventually he gave up.

54 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I've never been able to get over the Audi valve cover fiasco.  There were a number of years where Audi's began to smoke prematurely because the design of the cylinder head/gasket interface leaked oil onto the adjacent exhaust manifold.  My oldest son was interested in buying a used Audi a few years ago and we couldn't find a non smoker anywhere.  Eventually he gave up.

Were leaking valve cover gaskets a thing with Audi’s for awhile? I didn’t know that.

When I researched my new car two years ago, the reviews were positive for Audi (and Mercedes) for both performance and reliability. The consensus seemed to be that BMW had slipped. 

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think between BMW, Audi, and Mercedes on;y BMW makes an all wheel drive, hard top convertible.  At least one I can afford.

23 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

...you should be thinking about repairs and parts availability whenever you purchase a new car.

BMW is infamous in the mechanics trade (or were when I was doing that shit) for telling customers that their car will be fixed as soon as they can get the parts from Bavaria.  Their repair parts are also waaaay overpriced. Not that that matters to someone like you, a forum 1%er.  But for some of us living on a fixed income and just scraping by from retirement check to retirement check, it's a factor in car shopping.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No hardtop convertible. 

2018 Mazda Miata RF (new for 2018)

$31,910 | U.S. News Score: 9.1/10

The 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF is far less expensive than other retractable hardtops on this list, but it’s still a lot of fun. It also tops our rankings for both sports cars and convertibles. The RF stands for “retractable fastback,” which is truth in advertising. The fixed rear window is similar to the design of the Porsche 911 Targa, which makes it a nontraditional hardtop in our opinion.

The top opens or closes in just 13 seconds at the push of a button. You won’t find a second row of seats in the Miata, nor will you find much trunk space, regardless of whether the top is open or closed.

The hardtop is available on the two upper trims, and it adds about $3,000 to the price of the Miata. Convertible competitors at this price range don’t have a hardtop, even as an option, so the Miata RF is a good pick for budget-conscious convertible shoppers who want a car that can be driven for more than three perfectly sunny months.