Spent

Parr8hed

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Hey Dad...you better improve your registration time :whistle:

He is already registered for next Sunday's race.  (this weekend there is no racing)

This turned out very good for him though.  It proved that you can have a great race irregardless of where you finish.  Your goal should not always be to finish in the top 5.  Sometimes it's good to mix things up a little.  

When he races from the front there are a few kids that are just way faster than him.  But he is faster than the main pack of 13-14 year olds.  He gets comfortable in that area that is behind the main riders, but ahead of the field.  He quits pushing.  Not this race.  He had to push and chase the whole race.  It was really great for him.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

He is already registered for next Sunday's race.  (this weekend there is no racing)

This turned out very good for him though.  It proved that you can have a great race irregardless of where you finish.  Your goal should not always be to finish in the top 5.  Sometimes it's good to mix things up a little.  

When he races from the front there are a few kids that are just way faster than him.  But he is faster than the main pack of 13-14 year olds.  He gets comfortable in that area that is behind the main riders, but ahead of the field.  He quits pushing.  Not this race.  He had to push and chase the whole race.  It was really great for him.

A lot of truth in this post.  He's good, getting better, but likely needs a mix of challenges to get him to continue to progress.  Sounds like he (and you) are getting the opportunities in these races this year. If cycling keeps his interest, he is going to be way ahead of the normal pack of folks who start riding seriously after other sports drop off after HS & college.

Keep up the stellar support for him (and your daughter).  As one of the few "race reporters" here, we need these vicarious stories to continue :D

Tom

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It will be interesting to see what he does after he gets his driver’s license? Cars, girls, hormones, it’s hard for bicycles to compete. He looks like he might have to chase the girls off with a stick, good looking son there.

Yeah kids lose interest in sports for a myriad of reasons.  I often wondered when it would happen for my son and he eventually burned out after a year of college ball.  My daughter hung it up after HS.  But we saw a bunch  of talented kids decide to stop for varying reasons over the years. Some good, some not so good...

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah kids lose interest in sports for a myriad of reasons.  I often wondered when it would happen for my son and he eventually burned out after a year of college ball.  My daughter hung it up after HS.  But we saw a bunch  of talented kids decide to stop for varying reasons over the years. Some good, some not so good...

My son was a basketball star in high school but he chose a local college to go to and they didn't offer scholarships. He chose to not waste his time on sports.