The high temperatures in Fairbanks are already below freezing

Randomguy

47 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

A friend of mine lives in Anchorage who I'm friends w/ on FB. She posted first snow pics yesterday.

From Saturday's ride. It was 70 when started at 5000 ft. Snow at 9000 ft. 

We had snow during a race in July. I went through snow on the continental divide in June. 

LqXoMC79X3WHssVGOCKIsrdJiw7xCqejCk_b5bXjxgti0XDhfMdroZNxHC7bkZsoRtrNT7rokDuKveFb37vOqKBwWXwMbvYsOpxeKCqv0quKzpOVw1EYr0SZUmtsEUmuuBHYlAmI09e9UyQVOEdupBPONcaDRG7HTqSYSzUPwYa9z_C8azuYcFo_2nyLYNBQQ9p6unHAr7RKvpiMwWrRqvyytlA7j2hiqiQ0J3iTfiSNIqBwrFjC0jVT9SecsDfmYNtFicpXMAVqUXb8Dd2D-icY7slWJb5QMg4rLRHBvPTjgoBZlKmNZ581Bu8RpEE86pfzTuHKDe8PIrLG8oQBaovJhM4OTzMAgXtXYySd_w1z5ZZJq26XDyVp-AkcK3tNTPu82odvfSZ_FqdVl9H3Guhzuu81iigVOVonY3MtNs-ansDcja0hTFAxeSc-NW1NI1DxOF-V_pCY5eVtM4gI2emOZwG2jdiSTFkWeoxNU6Cj8sBThgiF0X68JyQ58FIIbjrYfE0FJVL_6cMBWNi5R_p8_inEjIUyoqLvtmcU7pKH9s7eKnBOySohFICPLnfQRJid9CMld6U5xOaPpvF5AkZoKwtp5I9c6a86Wlbp_ZpEQVoBYNaeBXkbLUK8jMAUuQOxeFdLIXpuNarnhtr55Ggr=w1131-h636-no

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I never been. Her husband is stationed there.

Elmendorf is a nice base. It’s still cold enough that all the parking spaces have electrical outlets. If you forget to plug in you won’t be able to start your vehicle. I drove up there in the winter of 1970.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

A friend of mine lives in Anchorage who I'm friends w/ on FB. She posted first snow pics yesterday.

My Colorado peeps have been posting snow pics for a few WEEKS now.

And, yes, Anchorage is much different than farther north - or even farther inland.  I think the darkness is what wears Anchorage folks out more than the weather.

Tom

When we were in Alaska in 2016 I talked to a guy from Fairbanks. He. Said the previous February they had seen -54 degrees. In July that year it had hit 105. Talk about extremes. 

A couple years ago we left Haiti at 3 pm, it was in the mid 90’s. At 6 am we were home in NY and it was -34.

I have relatives telling me I should move near them on the West Coast where winters are much milder but, if you want the seasons, you can go play in the snow in the Sierra Nevadas.

I probably would except my closest family members are mostly in the Mid-Atlantic area.

I have a distant cousin in Juneau, Alaska - along the "Inside Passage" and warmer than Fairbanks.  Still, when I visited her, I asked about the length of the veggie growing season and what kinds of tomatoes she was growing, etc.  My mother asked her if the men in the family talked as loud there as their East Coast relatives were famous for doing. She said, "Yes!"

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I would never, ever live anywhere but the West coast,  Ever.  You couldn't pay me enough to go anywhere else.  I could maybe live in the Inside passage (i.e, Juneau) for a short period -- but that's it.  Alaska is a very interesting place to visit.  You just don't want to live there. 

Feeling better here in west Michigan.  Thanks.

I have a sort of horror movie fascination with Barrows, Alaska. You have snow on the ground most of the year. The winter is astonishingly long, and the darkness goes on for months. You need to be careful walking around town, because bears in town are not unusual. I saw another video, part of it took place in the supermarket. The prices were insane. I suspect the Eskimos have an underground economy based on barter.