"The Office" goes off the rails...

Randomguy

I started watching "The Office" on Netflix.  I had seen a couple of seasons in the heyday and kinda liked it, so I thought I would start at the beginning and see what I missed, then cruise to the last few seasons of which I caught an episode or three and see what I missed.

I can definitively say that the office went off the rails in season 6.  Pam and Jim get married, and those were good episodes, and the egg eating episode where Pam is urpy is good, but the rest are crap.  Really, just utter crap.

Pam is a jerk, I decided.  Holly is awesome, and Erin is great.  Dwight is similarly awesome, Darryl is always good, too.  Ryan bugs me, as does Kelly.  Creed is great, there should be more Creed.

We'd seen the BBC series (they only made a dozen or so episodes) by the time the American series started - it is probably cool to say the BBC version was better but I honestly didn't think the American version was inferior at all.  This show was a riot but yes, like others have said, once Michael left it wasn't the same.  And somehow when a long-simmering romance turns to marriage it never seems to make for good TV.

The kids had seen a few snippets of this on TV, and we figured we'd watch some episodes on Netflix with them.  Yeah, sort of forgot how risque some of this stuff was.  An episode focusing on Todd Packer - in which Michael carted out a blowup doll - yeah, that was the last one we watched.

Also, what kind of company is all in on this office romance/hooking up thing?   Yeah, it happens, but most companies have you keep it on the DL, especially within the same department.  At DM, it seems to happen with stunning regularity, out in the open, with massive PDA and conflicts of interest.  

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I started watching "The Office" on Netflix.  I had seen a couple of seasons in the heyday and kinda liked it, so I thought I would start at the beginning and see what I missed, then cruise to the last few seasons of which I caught an episode or three and see what I missed.

I can definitively say that the office went off the rails in season 6.  Pam and Jim get married, and those were good episodes, and the egg eating episode where Pam is urpy is good, but the rest are crap.  Really, just utter crap.

Pam is a jerk, I decided.  Holly is awesome, and Erin is great.  Dwight is similarly awesome, Darryl is always good, too.  Ryan bugs me, as does Kelly.  Creed is great, there should be more Creed.

I liked Pam to much from the early years to think she was a jerk.  Dwight was the object of a lot of great jokes throughout - mostly Jim's pranks, including the "Gaydar" detector.  His often-bragged-about, because of his patriotic beliefs and military love, family farm's Civil War Battle turned out to be a fake battle invented by his ancestors to hide army deserters!

I think I identified most with Jim, though working in an environment beneath my education level should have made me identify more with Ryan, who bugged me, too. I was uneasy about Andy and Toby, liked Kevin, loved Erin and Holly and tolerated Michael, though I realize his idiocy made the stories much more interesting then after he left, when the stories built around Robert California and Nellie were just too off-the-wall for me develop the "suspension of disbelief" necessary to enjoy good fiction.

The best quotes come from "The Office."  My husband and I often toss these quotes back and forth to each other. 

"Truth be told, I think I thrive under a lack of accountability."

"There is too many people on this earth.  We need a new plague."

"Just pretend we are talking, until the cops leave."

"I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Holly is awesome, and Erin is great.  Dwight is similarly awesome, Darryl is always good, too.  Ryan bugs me, as does Kelly.  Creed is great, there should be more Creed.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Ryan, who bugged me, too. I was uneasy about Andy and Toby, liked Kevin, loved Erin and Holly and tolerated Michael, though I realize his idiocy made the stories much more interesting then after he left, when the stories built around Robert California and Nellie were just too off-the-wall for me develop the "suspension of disbelief" necessary to enjoy good fiction.

I think you both are showing how well they actually did that show.  All the "awesomes" and "likes" are for the ones that were meant to be awesome and likable. The awkward or painful or annoying ones are the ones that were meant to be that way.  And somehow, they could flip the script and all of a sudden, for just a scene or an episode, a character would be awesome or painful.  Dwight and Andy often showed that sort of swing. But the stuff towards the end of the series showed that the magic revolved around Michael even when he was at his worst, and without him, they never found a good replacement. 

Definitely a funny show with enough episodes to be easily re-watched and enjoyed.

Tom