When it rains it pours and this rain cloud has a silver lining

jsharr

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

In the last two weeks my oldest son has gotten his learners permit, applied for, gotten and started working his first job, opened a bank account and set up direct deposit from his employer and set up $50 per paycheck to go into his savings account.

He moves to a different drummer than I did, perhaps it is generational, not really sure, but I am proud of him

Way more advanced than I was.  We would get our paychecks, the head cashier (front end manager) would cash them out, and then I would spend the money over the next week.

I had a bank account, but my money from working in the produce department of Kroger never went into it!

Tom

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Way more advanced than I was.  We would get our paychecks, the head cashier (front end manager) would cash them out, and then I would spend the money over the next week.

Same.  My first paycheck was for $120 - I was pretty damn excited.  I probably went to the auto parts store next door and bought something stupid for my car, then went to McDonald's.  In those days I was putting away a lot of McNuggets and vanilla shakes.

@jsharr, congratulations to you and your son.

1 minute ago, TrentonMakes said:

Same.  My first paycheck was for $120 - I was pretty damn excited.  I probably went to the auto parts store next door and bought something stupid for my car, then went to McDonald's.  In those days I was putting away a lot of McNuggets and vanilla shakes.

@jsharr, congratulations to you and your son.

Since he only has his permit, I still drop him off at school.  This AM, he asked if I could drop him at the donut shop around the corner so he could meet a friend.  As I pulled up to let him out I asked if he needed money and he said no, I have my debit card.  Very cool to hear that for the first time.

His money will go towards food and shoes and hats.  He is a sneaker head and always wears a hat of some sort.

• Heart 1