Checked Out The Cannondale Topstone Today

Razors Edge

...and like what I saw in the 105-level bike.  It was funny because it is actually shipping with Ultegra brifters now as there is a shortage of the 105 hydraulics.  

Anyway, my only real dilemma is the size - Medium or Large.  Medium means a little more seatpost, and a longer stem and no other significant changes.  I usually get the 56cm which fit my 5'11" height well enough, and it is pretty apparent I can easily fit either size within reason.  In the past, when between sizes, I have gone smaller rather than larger, but not sure if, in a gravel/adventure bike, that would still be sensible.  Considering the potential to add frame bags or a seatbag, I could see where maybe the larger frame would be slightly better. :( 

I may pull the trigger if I am in the mood this weekend, but we'll see. At $1,750, it's not really a "risky" decision. Of course, then I have a PEDAL DECISION to make :( Not sure where that will lead.

Topstone 105

Tom  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

I would think the smaller frame would be preferred for gravel riding.

That was my thinking, but not positive in the mix I would use it.  I see it as the commuter replacement bike first - so riding it 100-200 times a year in all-weather (except ice) with fenders & a rear rack.  Then, as the option to ride on some gravel mix comes about, it would go fender-less and maybe rack-free for some of those rides, and for something like bombing the rutted C&O.  Then, bike-camping?  I think it would still be fine if on the smaller side.

Tom

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That was my thinking, but not positive in the mix I would use it.  I see it as the commuter replacement bike first - so riding it 100-200 times a year in all-weather (except ice) with fenders & a rear rack.  Then, as the option to ride on some gravel mix comes about, it would go fender-less and maybe rack-free for some of those rides, and for something like bombing the rutted C&O.  Then, bike-camping?  I think it would still be fine if on the smaller side.

Tom

Frankly, anything could be a short distance commuter. As long as it is dependable.I suppose it would depend on the nature of your commutes. Some people have an adventure each day, others are pleased to just wake up on the way to and from work.

Nice bike, I love my CAADX. I bought the CX bike in size 56, which is what my road bike is. I inquired as to sizing of this type of bike and the LBS said if I was going to CX race it - go w/ a 54. I'm not though. I'm just using it as a gravel bike, so 56 is good for me. I'm not sure what the differences are between this and the CAADX, I'm guessing geometry by the looks, and it comes w/ larger taars. Mine came w/ 35s, as opposed to 40s on the topstone. Although I think I can fit 40s :scratchhead:. Pedals: I use SPD. Mine has Ultegra, and the brakes are phenomenal. If you pull the trigger, you'll love it. N+1.

I'd recommend getting the size closest to your road bikes. It's essentially a road bike that can handle wider tires. If you go too small, your saddle is higher, putting more weight on your hands. If you go too big, you could be too stretched out. Either can be fixed with a stem change. The thing about gravel is you want to be comfortable over 100 miles. The surface beats you up as it's bumpier than pavement. At 5'11" a M might just hit the ticket. I'm 6' and ride a 56. I guess it depends on your torso/leg dimensions.

The difference between an allroad/gravel bike and a CX bikes is geometry. CX bikes have a quicker handling geometry and higher bottom bracket. This makes them quicker handling over short races, whereas an allroad bike is more comfortable and stable over long distances. A lower bb makes the bike much more stable descending. Either works but a CX bike is a bit twitchy on gravel and allroad bike drives like a bus during a CX race. 

For pedals, you want a mt bike pedal like a SPD, Time, or Crank Bros. as walking could be part of the equation. For commuting, some people like those flip flop ones. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 10/31/2018 at 12:17 PM, donkpow said:

Frankly, anything could be a short distance commuter. As long as it is dependable.I suppose it would depend on the nature of your commutes. Some people have an adventure each day, others are pleased to just wake up on the way to and from work.

...I commuted for three years down in Merced (smaller farm community down the Valley. "Gateway to Yosemite") on a purple Schwinn "lady's" step through with a Schwinn approved 3 speed SA hub. One day someone stole all the bikes out back in the employee bike rack, but they left my purple Schwinn.  Winning. :)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, No One said:

...I've never actually known anyone who lived there.  Was there some secret club you could join to get access to the old hot springs ?

I never bathed in the hot springs but I did drive into the foothills to see the place. It was a strange time and place. Henry Miller was a god. I got some acid from a freak in the Merced city park. Probably a narc. I lived in an apartment complex next to heroin addicts. The house across the street was full of addicts. A story had one of the residents chasing another with a meat clever. Probably narcs. The Basque people are awesome. Hardworking and have good picnics. You couldn't eat all the food or drink all the wine placed on your wooden picnic table at the Wool Grower's Restaurant. The best Mexican food was served seasonally at the old hotel downtown. The roller rink was decorated with art deco. Anywhere you wanted to go there was a bike rack. I used to ride my bike through the bank's drive through to cash my paycheck. The little town even had a pawn shop where I bought a saxophone and clarinet.

Strange and wonderful.

• Heart 2