How do you make your popcorn?

Randomguy

...we use the stove top method here as well.  I have the added advantage of a guy at the market who grows a local crop of heirloom varietal popcorn which ought to be showing up soon for sale.

Brewers yeast sprinkled on the stuff sounds horrible, but actually tastes good. Mixing some peanut butter in with the butter you melt, and then tossing the popcorn in it is also pretty good.

I find it difficult to believe that something as pleasant as popcorn could be good for you, but apparently it is.  There is a god.

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

I have a Stir Crazy poppper and use olive oil. Sometimes butter. Always salt. 

Petite has an oven caramel corn recipe that’s lovely. Except the caramel explodes at one point. Once that’s over, it’s all good. 

Hers is very good!  I don't know what recipe she is using, but most seem overly fussy.  I don't want to use corn syrup or bake, so this one seems to fit what I want from a quick snack:

2 hours ago, No One said:

a guy at the market who grows a local crop of heirloom varietal popcorn

You could send me some, you know...  :whistle:

Ok, I did the nutritional yeast this afternoon, and I wasn't super amped about it.  The peanut butter sounds interesting, I might have to try some of that.

Once again, though, I have a hard time characterizing popcorn as healthy.  It may not be unhealthy, but I just don't think there is much in popcorn that is going to do anything other than taste good.  The absence of immediate death doesn't make something healthy, they aren't passing it out at hospitals instead of stents.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You put the salt IN the butter?

I do stovetop with a Whirly Pop, pour butter that has been microwaved, then salt. 

:loveshower:Me too...but now I am cutting back on butter..so no popcorn for me :(  Our Boutique is coming up at work...I should make a batch of Caramel corn..it is easy peasy...but it does use corn syrup.

I do a light variation of kettle corn sometimes.  On the stove, in a cast iron, I use high heat oil like avocado or peanut.  As soon as the corn is about popped, I quickly toss in a prepared mix of spices like cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, salt, and some sugar and salt.  The spices are very sparse,  Just gives you a hint of sassiness.

Should I have begun with a useless story.

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Once again, though, I have a hard time characterizing popcorn as healthy.  It may not be unhealthy, but I just don't think there is much in popcorn that is going to do anything other than taste good.  The absence of immediate death doesn't make something healthy, they aren't passing it out at hospitals instead of stents.

...high in fiber.  Fiber foods are all the rage here now.  We all poop like geese in California.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, No One said:

...we use the stove top method here as well.  I have the added advantage of a guy at the market who grows a local crop of heirloom varietal popcorn which ought to be showing up soon for sale.

Change your name to UPG, uppity popcorn guy.

We have an air popper but prefer the stovetop method. Son and I like the Old Bay seasoning, wife, plain salt. Microwave popcorn is nasty. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Fry a pound of bacon.  Leave the grease.  Put kernels in the bacon grease.  Break bacon into bits.  Sprinkle bacon bits into finished popcorn.

I have never tried it this way, but someone on the internets said it's very good.  

Probably a cardiologist who just bought a bigger boat!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2