So how do you plan to deal with SAD?

Ralphie

Winter isn’t the problem, there’s plenty to do. We usually get out and ski or snowshoe everyday. For me this time of year is the hardest. Cool wet weather, no snow to play in. Time on the trainer or dreadmill helps.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, roadsue said:

My classroom has no windows, so I often go to work in the dark of morning and leave for home at dusk without seeing sunlight all day. Weekends on the bike are essential.

Tough when classroom has no windows.  How are the kids ..seem to you?

I agree with Ralphie, about weight management at this time of year when I go to work and return home both times in the dark.  

I try to walk daily, when it's not conducive to safe cycling on streets with snow and ice.  In Vancouver when it gets too rainy for cycling, it is walking to somewhere to do stuff. To get outside at least once a day.

23 hours ago, late said:

We might go to Florida this winter. My wife's best friend has cancer, treatment has just begun, but she's reacting badly. Might be the last chance.

That fricking red tide is putting a damper on that possibility.  We sometimes visit my wife's friend down there, but the beaches are unusable, so that takes away a lot of the appeal.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:11 PM, late said:

The wall had worked for centuries. The White Walkers had faded into myth, from their POV, the wall would stand.

Still, the Wall's complete and utter failure and so quickly made it one of the single most disappointing story lines in the series so far.  I was/am disappointed the wolves are playing smaller parts (hoping that they return with a vengeance at some point), and a few other story lines annoy me, but the Wall one is just too big a WTF for me.

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Still, the Wall's complete and utter failure and so quickly made it one of the single most disappointing story lines in the series so far.  I was/am disappointed the wolves are playing smaller parts (hoping that they return with a vengeance at some point), and a few other story lines annoy me, but the Wall one is just too big a WTF for me.

If you read the books, they were in what we would call the Dark Ages. They had writing, but it was still in the mythopoeic tradition. They had the wall, but they had lost the reason why they had the wall. This is a recurring theme in both literature and history. The Maginot Line, the Fall of Rome, Sometimes the barbarians win.

In the books, it's completely understandable. The wall looks invulnerable. If you didn't know about the coming storm, there is just no reason to think it wouldn't stand for centuries longer.

It also serves to provide a contrast between the singularity of purpose of the White Walkers, and the chaos among the humans.