With all this free time, I suppose it's time to fix that slow, leaking faucet

Dottleshead

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I've had a small drip in my bathroom faucet for some time now.  I always found justification to put it off.  Well, tonight I'm sitting on the throne watching the slow, painful drip and decided enough is enough. I'm out of excuses.

I have the same problem, but of course the shutoff valves are shot after 32 years, so I need to get a friend who knows how to sweat copper joints over to do it, but I also need the other bathroom sink done, the toilet shutoffs replaced, plus for good measure the outside faucets replaced with frost free ones, but they need to slope to the outside and I don't now how to make that happen.  Whew!  Nothing is easy!  At least we already did the kitchen sink, and the new faucet is marvelous!

2 minutes ago, Further said:

Got a plumber on your contacts list ?.....

Or at least know where the main water shutoff is ?

Yeah, it's in the faucet.  I know where the main shutoff valve is but this will just be a matter of shutting them off at the wall.  The drip is in the faucet itself.  I'm hoping I can just remove the right handle retainer nut and replace the cylinder.  That's the hope.  You watch.  But the end of tomorrow I'll have gone to the hardware store and replaced the whole faucet. It's just how these things work. Sometimes i think it may be cheaper and far less aggravating just to replace the whole faucet from go.  ?

2 minutes ago, Further said:

I haven't had very good luck with repairing modern faucets. But on the bright side, good faucets last a long time now.

I've had bad luck with modern faucets.  I thought Deltas were 'sposed to be long lasting, but I got less than 10 years oot of both the kitchen and bathroom ones.

Had a bathromm Pfister that was a total POS, but the new kitchen one seems pretty nice.

Alright,  Learned some interesting things.  While troubleshooting which side was leaky, I shut down the cold or right valve and a strange thing happened.  As I turned to off, it actually starts leaking before it shuts down.  In other words, turning the valve off has no negative action until the valve approaches shut off, and then water starts leaking out of the joint until I firmly shut it off.  Weird.  But I have identified that the drip comes from the left or hot side. I don't get the weird leaking when shutting it off.  I suspect the right feed coming in from the wall will need to be replaced -- but that's for another time.  Right now, I'm going to get this drip.

18 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I've had bad luck with modern faucets.  I thought Deltas were 'sposed to be long lasting, but I got less than 10 years oot of both the kitchen and bathroom ones.

Had a bathromm Pfister that was a total POS, but the new kitchen one seems pretty nice.

If I have a problem, I'm apt to buck up and pay.  It's the main bathroom next to the bedroom.  Wish me luck.  I have identified the culprit.

It's 8 p.m. here.  I've shut off the hot water for the night.  I'm going to see if disassembling this particular faucet on the left hand side is a pain in the arse or not.  But I'll have to go to the hardware store to either replace the part or most likely buy a new faucet.  For once, I'd like it to be a part I can get replacement for.

I'll actually attempt to fix it tomorrow.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Once the valve in the wall has been shut off and then turned back on you will have another leak as the unused packing there doesn't like to be disturbed.  Better you should use a real valve further upstream.

I guess in general things do not like to be effed with or made to work. :D

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I need to replace the leaking frost proof outside faucets, but never think about it unless I'm using them. And like any home project, if I change those, I'd like to also change their inside screw type gate valve shut offs to quarter turn ball valves so I dont have to fend off the spiders in the furthest, darkest corners of the basement any longer then necessary. :frantics:

• Awesome 1

My plumber is married to a first cousin of Christian Vande Velde so my plumbing has a Tour de France link. Plus Tommy is a good bike rider himself.

Tommy was here just last week to fix a couple of leaks. Unfortunately one of the leaks was caused by the contractor who put new flooring in our main bathroom and did it wrong. Basically the toilet has been leaking at its base a little bit for a couple of years and rotted out the wood under it. That's going to be expensive.

51 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Ok. HD doesn't have the part. Going to Lowe's later tonight. If they don't have it, getting a new faucet.

Don’t go to either of those box stores. You need to go to a hardware store. Somewhere like a locally owned independent store or Ace hardware. I hardware store will help you find the part you need.

Hope it works well in your repair, Dottles.

Dearie has tried 3 times over the past few months, to stop the toilet tank from slowly leaking water. The damn flapper changes are not working. He figures there is something wrong with creating a seal..  It makes me wince to call in a plumber for what should be an easy home fix.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Hope it works well in your repair, Dottles.

Dearie has tried 3 times over the past few months, to stop the toilet tank from slowly leaking water. The damn flapper changes are not working. He figures there is something wrong with creating a seal..  It makes me wince to call in a plumber for what should be an easy home fix.

Needs to clean or replace the seat that the flapper seals onto.  The old seat may have debris from old flapper valve on it.  First try would be to clean the seat will with an abrasive pad.  If that does not work, buy a flapper valve kit that comes with a new seat that you can glue on.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Korky-2003BP-Korky-EasyFix-Flush-Valve-Repair-Kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMfP8Za83gIVxoKzCh201gPKEAQYBCABEgItSPD_BwE

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Needs to clean or replace the seat that the flapper seals onto.  The old seat may have debris from old flapper valve on it.  First try would be to clean the seat will with an abrasive pad.  If that does not work, buy a flapper valve kit that comes with a new seat that you can glue on.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Korky-2003BP-Korky-EasyFix-Flush-Valve-Repair-Kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMfP8Za83gIVxoKzCh201gPKEAQYBCABEgItSPD_BwE

I was going to recommend the flusher fixer kit but you beat me to it. If you are tired of messing with it you can just replace the whole terlit and put the old one out on your deck and plant petunias in it. They make great planters. You can even take the lid off the tank and plant flowers in it too.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Don’t go to either of those box stores. You need to go to a hardware store. Somewhere like a locally owned independent store or Ace hardware. I hardware store will help you find the part you need.

We have an Ace. I was going to go there if I could not find the part.

• Heart 1

I have a faucet with internals just like that. Even though I have replaced the cartridge several times, it always starts leaking again. Only on the cold side. More often than not, I'll try a new seal instead of a cartridge, first. I have even resorted to simply stretching the spring to increase pressure on the seal.

black-danco-faucet-hardware-30300-64_1000.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I have the same problem, but of course the shutoff valves are shot after 32 years, so I need to get a friend who knows how to sweat copper joints over to do it, but I also need the other bathroom sink done, the toilet shutoffs replaced, plus for good measure the outside faucets replaced with frost free ones, but they need to slope to the outside and I don't now how to make that happen.  Whew!  Nothing is easy!  At least we already did the kitchen sink, and the new faucet is marvelous!

THIS

I bought the new faucet and returned it when realized that the cutoff valves were frozen. QUICKLY STOPPED! Then the project expanded. Former owner replaced copper with Poly that needs to be replaced. Also noticed a small rust spot where drain connects to bowl.  I have the PEX and crimping tools to do it, but may as well replace the vanity, top, toilet, floor and lighting. I will just watch it drip for a while.

• Haha 2