Charging The Battery

Razors Edge

...on my NiteRider head lamp for this week's evening commute.  I think this may be the year the battery just can't do it anymore :(  I'm not sure how old it is, but a replacement battery is over $100, so not sure what the next step is with this set-up :(  Might stick with my cheaper Lumina back-up if the Pro battery goes kaput.  Or, I might consider seeing if I can rig up a homemade battery system using the old battery's wiring bits and a newer "USB portable power block". Or, it may last another season.

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What's the voltage of the old battery and do you have the dimensions.  What sort of battery chemistry......lipo, life??? 

Good question and not ones I know. I forgot you RC guys play with batteries a lot!  It is lithium ion 4 cell rom the 1200 Pro, but specs seem hard to find :(  It might have the same battery as the 3600 (Li-Ion Battery (8 Cell, 7.4v, 11.6A Hr)) but with 4 cells instead of 8??? Mne looks like this one:

6584_niterider_pro_-4_cell_race_battery-480x480.jpg.e1e76a1e82b5b2bc26f1bcedabc9d0ca.jpg

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good question and not ones I know. I forgot you RC guys play with batteries a lot!  It is lithium ion 4 cell rom the 1200 Pro, but specs seem hard to find :(  It might have the same battery as the 3600 (Li-Ion Battery (8 Cell, 7.4v, 11.6A Hr)) but with 4 cells instead of 8??? Mne looks like this one:

6584_niterider_pro_-4_cell_race_battery-480x480.jpg.e1e76a1e82b5b2bc26f1bcedabc9d0ca.jpg

Unfortunately I do very little work with Lithium Ion. My expertise is in the LiPo and LiFe world.  Lithium Ion is more the relm of computers and phones..................and obviously bicycle lights.  At 7.4 or 11 and a half you could use a 2 cell or 3 cell LiPo for an RC vehicle spliced into your wiring and hanging from the outside of the light.  You'd have to go to a hobby shop and pick out a charger as well.  The problem with LiPo is that they don't store long term well.  They need to be put in storage mode (about half charge) as they don't do well stored at full charge or empty.

Those in the picture are 18650 batteries (indicated by the number printed on the side of each). I can't find the manufacturer with a few quick searches. What you need to know is the battery amp hour rating. You might be able to find that on the pack case label. The voltage of the pack will determine the wiring configuration to be used. 

https://xaeus.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/how-to-identify-18650-cell-capacity/

You can get 4 of some 18650 batteries off Amazon for as little as $15.

https://www.amazon.com/ICR18650-2200mah-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery/dp/B01MFGWWCS

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'm not sure but I think the electronics board in the NR battery pack is the control board and it is what contains the battery charger. Charging lithium batteries involves more than just a transformer.

Hopefully.

Failure to charge correctly is what causes bangs and fires.