A Real Headscratcher

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And with so much thought put into this I wonder, what is the n00b's answer to his self imposed question?

Actually I couldn't care less but I enjoyed creating the post.

I think it is because they are morans and this BS sort of nonsense demonstrates they are unfocused.  They should just shitcan all the folks on this ebike team, since if those folks have time to be dicking around with dopey stuff like these bikes, then they aren't fully committed to working on cars & trucks.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I think it is because they are morans and this BS sort of nonsense demonstrates they are unfocused.  They should just shitcan all the folks on this ebike team, since if those folks have time to be dicking around with dopey stuff like these bikes, then they aren't fully committed to working on cars & trucks.

Excuse me.  I told you I really don't care.  That means that I really don't care.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I think it would be easy to do both cars and electric bikes.  

"Easy" is not what the goal of GM should be. I would think "profit" is about all you need to know. Yeah, it's fun to play in the lab and come up with some off the wall ideas, but if they're thinking their next "big" thing is a folding electric bike, then they are in worse shape than Ford! If GM had the #1 selling ebike, it would be a rounding error on their profit/loss column.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

"Easy" is not what the goal of GM should be. I would think "profit" is about all you need to know. Yeah, it's fun to play in the lab and come up with some off the wall ideas, but if they're thinking their next "big" thing is a folding electric bike, then they are in worse shape than Ford! If GM had the #1 selling ebike, it would be a rounding error on their profit/loss column.

Maybe it supports profit from the image standpoint.  "Look how green we are, we care"  Blah blah blah.  Big deal, it isn't like all automakers aren't in dozens of other businesses, you just hire folks to look after their turf.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Maybe it supports profit from the image standpoint.  "Look how green we are, we care"  Blah blah blah.  Big deal, it isn't like all automakers aren't in dozens of other businesses, you just hire folks to look after their turf. 

Sure, that's all well and good until you see the bikes.  Nothing special. Nothing revolutionary. Maybe their grand plan is to toss a pair in every trunk in their EV line-up? That will boost their green cred for sure!  I remember when VW sold their cars with a MTB bike as an option.  VW was really good at engineering & building bikes and I still see some of them (although not as many of the Jettas they came with).  I also see some GMC Denali bikes still in action. I bet @No One has one in his collection and can vouch for GM's engineering talent with regards to bike construction.  Considering how popular the Denali truck is, GM might be onto something with this bike/vehicle pairing idea!

14 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...fleet average for CAFE standards. Think before you type, man. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

VW was really good at engineering & building bikes and I still see some of them (although not as many of the Jettas they came with).  I also see some GMC Denali bikes still in action. I bet @No One has one in his collection and can vouch for GM's engineering talent with regards to bike construction

...neither one of these ever got donated to the co-op.  So I am unable to express an informed opinion on design and construction standards.  

E-bikes made by car companies are a thing now: http://www.hispotion.com/8-hottest-bikes-made-car-manufacturers-23392

1 minute ago, No One said:

...neither one of these ever got donated to the co-op.  So I am unable to express an informed opinion on design and construction standards.  

E-bikes made by car companies are a thing now: http://www.hispotion.com/8-hottest-bikes-made-car-manufacturers-23392

McLaren Tarmac was a SWEET bike.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

and can vouch for GM's engineering talent with regards to bike construction

GM is just gonna rebadge someone else's design, all they have to do is a little legwork and slap their name on it, it isn't diverting a tenth of a tenth of their resources from their shitty car company at all.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

GM is just gonna rebadge someone else's design

So, using your noggin, who do you think did their design? Dahon? Tern? Brompton? Moulton?  And is that a STEPS motor? Or a Bosch? Active? CX?  Hard to tell from those photos, but I assume you can figure it out and share :)