I went to Costco and only bought 4 things

Randomguy

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

No giant size tub of mayo? 

Don't get me going on MAYO!!!!! All the grocery stores here run 1/2 price mayo at various times of the year, BUT ONLY ON the big size (not the Costco size).  I want the small size.  I end up paying as much or more for the small size as I would for the large size because I don't want to throw it out in several months.  I'd rather run out of mayo than waste mayo.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't get me going on MAYO!!!!! All the grocery stores here run 1/2 price mayo at various times of the year, BUT ONLY ON the big size (not the Costco size).  I want the small size.  I end up paying as much or more for the small size as I would for the large size because I don't want to throw it out in several months.  I'd rather run out of mayo than waste mayo.

The stuff lasts a long time.  Quite full of preservatives.

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basic-mayonnaise

We go there less now as we are gradually becoming empty nesters. We went there  regularly for paper products, TP, paper towels baby wipes and a few other bulk items.

We go there now if we need to buy large quantities of meat for parties or when I want to smoke a salmon filet.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

THIS is why I hardly ever go to Costco...and I have a free membership as the friend/family on my neighbors membership :wacko:

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Batteries, because I needed batteries, boner broth from chickens, fake zantac, and San Marzano (supposedly) tomatoes.

I paid $16 for 40 AA batteries, but I really just needed 6 at the moment.

I'm impressed at just 4 items. I went in last week just to buy the very excellent and relatively cheap ($13.99 I think) whole liter of Kirkland Toscano Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Chinet paper plates.

I came out with the oil and plates, 2 flannel shirts, a case of Diet Snapple (Costco is the only place I know that sells Snapple in plastic, not glass, bottles), a 2 lb bag of coffee, 36 triple blade Gillette disposable razors, and a box of 30 Kirkland nut bars (210 Cal, but with lots of almonds, cashews and walnuts it doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike) and probably a couple other items that slip my mind right now.

From Oct-Dec, the Chase Freedom Visa card is giving 5% cash-back at Costco, which is better than Costco's own 2% cash-back card, though the Costco card also gives 4% back at Costco and standalone (Exxon, etc.) gas stations and 3% at restaurants, including fast-food and bar & restaurants.

28 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've been to Costco once. Bought a couple of beers. It seems like a giant waste of time.

Costco is good for certain things, and those certain things are generally a massively great deal even if you are just one person and not a massive mormon orgy of reproductive irresponsibility.  Tires, batteries, vitamins, over the counter medications.  There are bunches that can make it worthwhile.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Costco is good for certain things, and those certain things are generally a massively great deal even if you are just one person and not a massive mormon orgy of reproductive irresponsibility.  Tires, batteries, vitamins, over the counter medications.  There are bunches that can make it worthwhile.

I just can't see driving somewhere to save a little money. I don't buy anything in bulk. I buy batteries once a year for a bike race, it's been years since I bought tires(2014 maybe), never buy vitamins or over the counter meds. 

• Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Batteries, because I needed batteries, boner broth from chickens, fake zantac, and San Marzano (supposedly) tomatoes.

I paid $16 for 40 AA batteries, but I really just needed 6 at the moment.

You should get a prescription for your fake Zantac. I pay $10 for a 3 month supply. It’s a generic and on the Walmart $4 list

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Save your mayo jar and then get the mayo packets from sandwich shops, cafes, burger joints and places like that and just squirt them in there when you get home.

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It is actually kind of fun to go.  Lots of food to sample, people to watch and if you have a family of 4 plus teen age boys that come hang out, it can be a great way to save on food.

I have a household of 1 :) But those are good reasons

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have a household of 1 :) But those are good reasons

Jsharrt is right (so weird to say that), you sometimes can get a whole massive meal from samples.  If you go during dinnertime or during the weekend, you can get so stuffed you won't eat the rest of the day.

I think it can be ok depending on where you are, Costco can be a shitshow.  It is always a shitshow here, you don't even have room to turn around and people are oblivious to the fact that they left their cart in everyone's way.   They also have a great return policy, you know you will never get stuck with something you aren't happy with.

Plus, if you buy a lot of one thing or other it is really nice to save, and the big ticket items are substantially cheaper.  I looked laptops there yesterday, but when I last bought tires, I saved about $300 on my set, plus they do free tire rotation/balance and flat repairs, too.  I have bought tv's there, you can generally save at least $100 on them (or more), and the meat is super high quality.

I like it and I hate it at the same time, but it is good to be a member.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

It is actually kind of fun to go.  Lots of food to sample, people to watch and if you have a family of 4 plus teen age boys that come hang out, it can be a great way to save on food.

If you take family and 4 teen age sons...you won't get out with just 4 items.

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Jsharrt is right (so weird to say that), you sometimes can get a whole massive meal from samples.  If you go during dinnertime or during the weekend, you can get so stuffed you won't eat the rest of the day.

I think it can be ok depending on where you are, Costco can be a shitshow.  It is always a shitshow here, you don't even have room to turn around and people are oblivious to the fact that they left their cart in everyone's way.   They also have a great return policy, you know you will never get stuck with something you aren't happy with.

Plus, if you buy a lot of one thing or other it is really nice to save, and the big ticket items are substantially cheaper.  I looked laptops there yesterday, but when I last bought tires, I saved about $300 on my set, plus they do free tire rotation/balance and flat repairs, too.  I have bought tv's there, you can generally save at least $100 on them (or more), and the meat is super high quality.

I like it and I hate it at the same time, but it is good to be a member.

Not to discount Costco but I buy TVs ever 20 years, and I don't like dealing w/ people. Discount tire does my free rotations (if I do them) and free repairs. I prefer the smaller neighborhood grocery store where there is a dozen people inside and I'm out of there in 20 minutes :) Prices maybe a touch higher but its worth it IMO not having to deal w/ lines and parking lot cluster focks. As aforementioned, Costo works for many people, just not me.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

If you take family and 4 teen age sons...you won't get out with just 4 items.

Agreed.  Last time we took both boys it was like building a jigsaw puzzle to get it all in my car.  Everyone but me had something in their lap and / or by their feet on the ride home.

21 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I went to Costco and only bought 4 things

18 hours ago, dennis said:

I've been to Costco once. Bought a couple of beers. It seems like a giant waste of time. Giant mayo sounds like the Vlasic story with Walmart. 

Small is beautiful.

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We go there less now as we are gradually becoming empty nesters. We went there  regularly for paper products, TP, paper towels baby wipes and a few other bulk items.

We go there now if we need to buy large quantities of meat for parties or when I want to smoke a salmon filet.

18 hours ago, petitepedal said:

THIS is why I hardly ever go to Costco...and I have a free membership as the friend/family on my neighbors membership :wacko:

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've been to Costco never

...everyone here is always accusing me of being a hippie lefitst,  but I now see who the real commie's are here. :angry:

• Whatever 1

18 hours ago, dennis said:

I've been to Costco once. Bought a couple of beers. It seems like a giant waste of time. Giant mayo sounds like the Vlasic story with Walmart. 

Small is beautiful.

Costco, as people have noted, is a place where you have to know what you want, and not get sucked into a "this is a bargain" sort of thing.

I have a standard Costco shopping list for every other weekend.  It is bread (Dave's Organic), coffee (some good local roasts and national roasts), frozen berries, 1/2 & 1/2, & La Croix fizzy.  Then, I add in other key things that are more monthly or quarterly depleted like the breakfast bars Mick & I love, mixed nuts, paper towels, toilet paper, milk, beer, wine, batteries :D, gasoline, etc.. Then you get the rarer tires, laptop,  electronic stuff, seasonal plants, socks(!), prescription, a sheetcake, and our Christmas tree. 

It is a pretty solid place to shop with things in order and never six types of something to puzzle over.  It is a pretty quick in and out shopping trip.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Don't forget the Porsche.

Sadly, the large plastic toys section grows dramatically this time of year, and the book section is slowly getting smaller. They have also wised up an reduced their DVDs for sale, limiting it to maybe one "blockbuster" at a time.

Honestly, for many folks, the 20+ cents a gallon saving on gas might make a membership worthwhile.  A coworker finagles the heck out of his grocery point system to get cheap gas, but that ain't fun or easy to pull off.