Persimmon Season

ChrisL

You guys ever eat them?  Every fall I binge on them as the season is short and they are oh so good.

They have them at my LGS for $.99 each but I go to the local Asian market and get them for $.99 a lb.  I bought about 8 lbs worth Sunday and they are almost gone (I did give several away).

They are similar to an apple (you got to peel them tho) and delightfully sweet & crunchy.  Give them a try if you can find them. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I eat the Hayicha version...I didn't check the dictionary.  I like them soft and plump.

My partner says persimmons dries his mouth/throat that he feels like he's suffocating...?

There are two common types and I don't know the names of either but I like the rounder harder ones.  Right, the ones shaped more like a teardrop are softer and I don't care for the texture of those.

...the larger ones are great for baking stuff like persimmon bread and persimmon cookies. The smaller, crisper ones are also called "apple" persimmons locally. 

There are a few trees of the bigger ones in my neighborhood, but the crows get most of those, so I buy mine at the farmers market.  Kiwis are also coming into season here soon. :hapydance: