Laying Linoleum sucks

Chris...

So, in the first house I built for us (1984) we have vinyl being laid in the open kitchen dining area.  I go there after work and see a couple spots they messed up and a limp on the middle of the dining area.  I call the flooring company and they say they will have someone out to fix the problems the next day.  The next morning my father-in-law is upstairs making some final electrical connections and he hears banging downstairs - must be the flooring guy.  He wanders down and sees a guy banging a 2 x 4 with a large hammer in the middle of the dining area.  He is trying to flatten the lump he left there the previous day.  WT.... FIL tells him the only way to fix right is to remove the flooring.  He didn't want to tell his boss that so he went ahead and cut the piece out on the pattern seams.  Turns out he had dropped a pack of Marlboros on the floor and laid the vinyl right over them.  One call to the flooring company and they ordered and installed new vinyl.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So, in the first house I built for us (1984) we have vinyl being laid in the open kitchen dining area.  I go there after work and see a couple spots they messed up and a limp on the middle of the dining area.  I call the flooring company and they say they will have someone out to fix the problems the next day.  The next morning my father-in-law is upstairs making some final electrical connections and he hears banging downstairs - must be the flooring guy.  He wanders down and sees a guy banging a 2 x 4 with a large hammer in the middle of the dining area.  He is trying to flatten the lump he left there the previous day.  WT.... FIL tells him the only way to fix right is to remove the flooring.  He didn't want to tell his boss that so he went ahead and cut the piece out on the pattern seams.  Turns out he had dropped a pack of Marlboros on the floor and laid the vinyl right over them.  One call to the flooring company and they ordered and installed new vinyl.

Yeah, that was some lump.

I didn't realize they still made rolls of linoleum, but then again I never went looking for it. Seems like the vinyl planking  would be the preferred alternative, While may not have the patterns of linoleum, they resembling wood or tile floors, has the water tolerance, lays in slats like wood/laminate floors, and can be floated so don't have to deal with the adhesive. I am looking at that as part of my bathroom re-do ripping out ceramic tile (again) which has become quite date with wide grout lines that are dirt magnets. More expensive than linoleum but we are talking small rooms.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Scratch-Stone-8-7-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I473106L/300876921?MERCH=REC-_-categorylevel2horizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-300876921-_-N