Such An Upbeat Disease!

Razors Edge

Now I feel obligated to go ride today, if exercise is so darn good for you!  Plus it is sunny, although mid 40s and windy so the windchill is in the high 30s.  Brrrr!  Oh wait, it is going to get a lot worse than that, so note to self: "Suck it up, buttercup!"

Didn't we have a poster named buttercup for a short while?  Could have been in the Olde Country.

So do you think Hearst has changed Bicycling mag or the other Rodale mags appreciably?

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So do you think Hearst has changed Bicycling mag or the other Rodale mags appreciably?

The recent Bicycle magazine instead of trying to sell overpriced plastic bikes is now trying to sell overpriced electric bikes. They have never seen an expensive bike they didn’t like.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The recent Bicycle magazine instead of trying to sell overpriced plastic bikes is now trying to sell overpriced electric bikes. They have never seen an expensive bike they didn’t like.

I guess we know from here that there is only so much you can say aboot bikes.  What I really miss is the old OLN (Outdoor Life Network) where they had lots of shows featuring ordinary biking.  They even had a show run by a LBS here that specializes in tandems.  It is a shame that niche things like that get sucked up by corporate behemoths and homogenized for the masses.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Many magazines involving reviews fall into this trap.  The advertisers pay the bills........and the reviewers salaries as well.  Items sent in for review are treated with this rule in mind.

Or you can be honest, give a bad review and loose an advertiser.  It's the same in the hobby magazines.  If you want honest reviews these days you have to search out independents on U tube who buy the product themselves for review.  Note that this is still the methodology purported to be used by Consumer Reports.

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I guess we know from here that there is only so much you can say aboot bikes.  What I really miss is the old OLN (Outdoor Life Network) where they had lots of shows featuring ordinary biking.  They even had a show run by a LBS here that specializes in tandems.  It is a shame that niche things like that get sucked up by corporate behemoths and homogenized for the masses.

The masses pay the bills.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Note that this is still the methodology purported to be used by Consumer Reports.

I’m pretty sure consumer reports can be bought. Had several bad experiences years ago when we searched consumer reports for the best product and bought the one they gushed over saying it was the best thing ever only to find out we bought worthless junk. I haven’t even looked at them for thirty years or so because I don’t trust them.

Just now, Longjohn said:

I’m pretty sure consumer reports can be bought. Had several bad experiences years ago when we searched consumer reports for the best product and bought the one they gushed over saying it was the best thing ever only to find out we bought worthless junk. I haven’t even looked at them for thirty years or so because I don’t trust them.

The worst scam of all is the Better Business Bureau.  Totally bought and paid for by businesses, they are nothing but a shill. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I sure hope the Deadwood wasn;t one of them!

• Haha 1

I don't know about being bought, but CR can fall prey to the personal biases of the reviewers.  In the auto test business for example, it's one thing to report numbers like 0 to 60 or braking distance from 60 to 0 or skid pad numbers for traction but once you get into the Rich Corinthian Leather the reviewers nose may not work like mine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I sure hope the Deadwood wasn;t one of them!

My dad bought a car I think it was an American motors product an Alliance. Supposed to be the best car ever. It was garbage. We had two washing machines that CR highly recommended. The first one didn’t get clothes clean and we had the appliance store take it back and exchange it for another brand CR recommended. It cleaned well and self destructed in about a year.

• Sad 1