Do you want a new bike?

Road Runner

My current road bike is a mid-priced 07 aluminum Raleigh with average Shimano components.  My financial situation is such where I could buy just about any kind of bike I want.  But I am happy with what I have.   I guess, for some reason, I am just not into the latest tech and equipment.  I like riding, but having the coolest stuff just doesn't interest me.  Does this mean I am a pathetic excuse for a cyclist?  Or am I just cheap as hell? 

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I like riding, but having the coolest stuff just doesn't interest me.  Does this mean I am a pathetic excuse for a cyclist?  Or am I just cheap as hell?  

Everybody "likes" riding, so it is more relevant to know if you actually "are" riding.  How's your 2018 riding season gone? 100+ rides?  10 rides? 1 ride? 

If you have 100+ rides, all of us can STFU and let you be the "master" of your domain. Not only have you earned a new bike, but you've also shown the '07 bike is keeping you motivated. Win-win.

If you have 10 rides, then maybe it is the bike. Or maybe it is you.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

A part of me wants another mountain bike but the other part says I better not. So far I have recovered pretty well from all my crashes but you never know. I plan on riding more conservatively than I used to, a mountain bike doesn’t fit into that plan.

Oh, I should answer the question too.  Yes, I do want a new bike - actually two new bikes - a "modern" MTB and a commuter/gravel/adventure bike.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

134 rides this year.  Does this meet the requirements to be considered a cyclist? 

No - it meets my requirements of "If you have 100+ rides, all of us can STFU and let you be the "master" of your domain. Not only have you earned a new bike, but you've also shown the '07 bike is keeping you motivated. Win-win. "

Maybe I should have first inquired about your reading comprehension????

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Everybody "likes" riding, so it is more relevant to know if you actually "are" riding.  How's your 2018 riding season gone? 100+ rides?  10 rides? 1 ride? 

If you have 100+ rides, all of us can STFU and let you be the "master" of your domain. Not only have you earned a new bike, but you've also shown the '07 bike is keeping you motivated. Win-win.

If you have 10 rides, then maybe it is the bike. Or maybe it is you.

Or maybe 10 rides is what makes him happy whether you approve or not.  I dislike the concept that distance ridden or number of rides makes a cyclist.  I find that attitude too elitist for my cycling.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Or maybe 10 rides is what makes him happy whether you approve or not.  I dislike the concept that distance ridden or number of rides makes a cyclist.  I find that attitude too elitist for my cycling.  

Honestly, that's an idiotic comment (but expected).  If 10 rides makes him happy, and 10 rides means he is happy with his bike as well, then why is he wondering about a new bike?  If 10 rides doesn't make him happy, and he is asking about a new bike, then maybe a new bike is actually what he wants.

It seems passive aggressive to create a topic like the OP, and then to beotch and moan when folks give an answer.  Please note Maxx ONLY replied to my reply, not to the OP.  Great value added, eh?

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Yes.  The only real damage was to the front brake and one of the shift levers.  I suffered more damage than it did.   

A young man knows he will recover and worries about the bike

A mature man knows he can buy a new bike, but recovery has become questionable 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I thought you were giving away a bike.  :(

You, sir, are a bike tease. :angry:

I was going to give it to a friend, but there were conditions.  He almost never rides, he needed to ride a certain number of miles before spring.  He's also gaining a lot of weight, he needed to lose weight by spring.  He tentatively agreed, but since we made the agreement, he hasn't had a minute of exercise and he's continuing to gain weight.

I did some updates to my wifes bike and took that over.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I was going to give it to a friend, but there were conditions.  He almost never rides, he needed to ride a certain number of miles before spring.  He's also gaining a lot of weight, he needed to lose weight by spring.  He tentatively agreed, but since we made the agreement, he hasn't had a minute of exercise and he's continuing to gain weight.

I did some updates to my wifes bike and took that over.

I was talking about RR being the tease.  He is quite the bastard, you know.

Your beautiful bike should stay with you, and you should sell it to help with a new bike when you are ready.  Maybe I can buy it from you then at a fair price.  Sadly, your friend sounds like he will never ride a bike way beyond his abilities (or at all), but it was supercool that you offered it to him.  It shows that vegans can have hearts, too.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

My current road bike is a mid-priced 07 aluminum Raleigh with average Shimano components.  My financial situation is such where I could buy just about any kind of bike I want.  But I am happy with what I have.   I guess, for some reason, I am just not into the latest tech and equipment.  I like riding, but having the coolest stuff just doesn't interest me.  Does this mean I am a pathetic excuse for a cyclist?  Or am I just cheap as hell? 

If you are happy with the bike then ride it till the wheels fall off.  

I'm kinda like you with cars, my 5 YO Subaru is fine and I plan to keep it till the wheels fall off.  But I'm a bike freak and if I had unlimited funds would have a house full of bikes.  Just because...

I also think the point of diminishing returns starts with mid range bikes.  Sure Dura Ace is suhweet but Tiagra works just as well at a fraction of the cost.

• Heart 1