When it rains...it pours. Rental home sale story

Dirtyhip

So, there has been a quirky toilet out there at the rental.  My husband was working at fixing it, when he pulled up on a PVC pipe and it crumbled and broke off.  Then he had a geyser of water leaking out.  He runs to shut off the water at the main.  There is at least 2 inches of water in the bathroom, as he hasn't even finished cleaning that up yet.  

meanwhile..., a car drives up.  It is the buyers realtor.  She is coming by with a key to leave for the FHA appraiser.  My husband sort of hurries her away and tries to act normal...hoping she doesn't need to get in the house.  

She finally leaves, after a brief talk.   My husband gets busy mopping and cleaning, and fixes the leak.  He gets everything back together, and the FHA guy drives up about ten minutes later.  My husband gets everything set and turned the water back on just in time.

It was a stressful hour or so for him, but all went well.

We passed the FHA inspection and the appraisal should come in fine, from what the appraiser says.  

It could be closing in as early as about three weeks.  Our realtor seems to think that we are on the downhill slope now to close.   

Really looking forward to closing on this. 

?

• Heart 4

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

She finally leaves, after a brief talk.   My husband gets busy mopping and cleaning, and fixes the leak.  He gets everything back together, and the FHA guy drives up about ten minutes later.  My husband gets everything set and turned the water back on just in time.

This seems like a TV episode :D I hope all goes well w/ the sale.

• Haha 2

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

This seems like a TV episode :D I hope all goes well w/ the sale.

Doesn't it?  Like a Seinfeld episode. 

I can only imagine my husband and the cuss words when the pipe broke.  Then, to have the realtor drive up as you are slightly wet and have a flood in the bathroom.  

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Doesn't it?  Like a Seinfeld episode. 

I can only imagine my husband and the cuss words when the pipe broke.  Then, to have the realtor drive up as you are slightly wet and have a flood in the bathroom.  

haha. It reminds me of those house-hunting-fixit-up shows where there is big drama at minute 10, then everything is great at minute 20 :D

• Awesome 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

How are you gonna celebrate the sale?  Couple of kilo's of blow?  Wild parties?  Crystal toilets?  Sprinter conversion?

What?

I am boring.  These are our plans:

Some seed money to begin saving for a 3 month vacation in Italy. 

Reserving enough cash to take our car savings account up to the amount we would need to buy another truck.

The remainder of the money will be placed in funds like VTSAX and VFAIX, REM and a substantial portion in CDs.  This money is on reserve to build our retirement home.  Hope to break ground in 2023 on that project.    

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am boring.  These are our plans:

Some seed money to begin saving for a 3 month vacation in Italy. 

Reserving enough cash to take our car savings account up to the amount we would need to buy another truck.

The remainder of the money will be placed in funds like VTSAX and VFAIX, REM and a substantial portion in CDs.  This money is on reserve to build our retirement home.  Hope to break ground in 2023 on that project.    

You already bought the land, right?  Would you do a tiny house to go inexpensive, and then add onto later if necessary?

Yes we have bought the land already and hold the deed. The CCR rules require us to build a 900 sq. ft. home.  The project will be mostly turn key.  We are not doing much of it ourselves.  Maybe some finish stuff, and cleanup is all we plan to help with.  

Even a tiny house costs a bundle to build and we want no more debt.  The house must be built with cash reserves.